Importing Contacts using Verizon Backup Assistant?

jdrick

Reaction score
Just got my Droid, and ran backup assistant on my old phone... now it appears the Droid doesn't work with Backup Assistant... anyone try this on Verizon? Any suggestions on how to export to a csv file from a phone? I could import to google if I could find out how to export csv version from old phone...

Thanks!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just got my Droid, and ran backup assistant on my old phone... now it appears the Droid doesn't work with Backup Assistant... anyone try this on Verizon? Any suggestions on how to export to a csv file from a phone? I could import to google if I could find out how to export csv version from old phone...

Thanks!

For this to work you have to have an online account set-up with them. If you already have that you should be able to get to your contacts within the online area. Should be able to get to it from http://www.getbackupnow.com/.That is where you export your CSV file from. The backup assistant syncs it with the verizon databases for your phone.

OP
J

jdrick

Reaction score
when I go to contacts on the My Verizon section of my account, the little "Gear", when I move my mouse over it has the circle with the line thru it (like do not enter).... and the "sync" button doesn't do anything

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So while in the contacts area? or prior to getting to the contacts area you have the circle with a line through it?

OP
J

jdrick

Reaction score
in the contacts area... all the contacts are there, but the little gear, which I believe is where the xport function is, is not active for me..

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wish i still had access to mine, but from what i remembered there was just a link on the contacts page that said "export to csv" i don't remember it being in a menu, but of course this was before they changed around their website again.

OP
J

jdrick

Reaction score
I've scoured it.. no luck.. I figured I'd be able to load backup assistant on the droid , but guess not!

Thanks for tryin'!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've scoured it.. no luck.. I figured I'd be able to load backup assistant on the droid , but guess not!

Thanks for tryin'!

If you can't get it to work, you should just call up verizon and see if they can get you to it, if not taking it to a verizon store, they should be able to get the csv for you and install it on your droid for you if you want. That's all they did when i upgraded, they just did the same thing, and i ended up with a csv file in the root of my droid with all my contacts.

alm0614

Reaction score
you should be able to log into My Verizon on your computer and export as a .csv then upload that into your gmail contacts and that will sync with your phone

OP
J

jdrick

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.... I will call Verizon.... I have searched all of my verizon, and in the contacts area none of the "tools" (the gear icon" are active on my phone account since I switched to the Droid

bowhuntr09

Reaction score
I was just able to do this last Saturday when I got my droid. I cant do it today. I think its just disabled due to their website change and they will probably enable it soon.

OP
J

jdrick

Reaction score
Thanks for the info... interesting.. I sent their support an email to see if they can share with me what's goin on...

Vietnamwees

Reaction score
I figured out your problem.

1-Goto Verizon online Backup Assistant website, after your contacts load, NEXT to the gear thing to export your contacts, you need to click "Select All" first, because I guess you need to choose which contacts you want to interact with, then click the gear dropdown menu and click "Export"

2-Goto your gmail, click "Contacts" on the left side, towards the top. Click More Actions ---> Import

3-Go to your phone, then setup your gmail, then sync it, and you should have all your contacts on your phone.

I had the same problem, but then I read this thread, than discovered how to do the Contact Export on vzw.com Kind of a roundabout way that involves both gmail and Backup Assistant, but it works.

Reaction score
Backup Assistant creamed my Droid X Contacts when I restored them after a hard reset. It wiped out all of the contacts I had that were organizations. Now, I'm afraid of Backup Assistant. Even the guy I bought the phone from at Verizon said not to use it.

So, I have just backed up my contacts to my SD card. Do you know if I can import them directly from the SD card without having to go through Google?