"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" for ANDROID

sirdroid

Reaction score
Why is it that everything ANDROID does have to imitate APPLE? Samsung fascinate, Samsung Galaxy and now Samsung Galaxy player. I would like to see android not copy apple just to give us a cheaper alternative. Every new release has to be an ipad killer, an ipod killer or iphone killer....these days. Can't we just look beyong apple? Give me a break.

b_salgado

Reaction score
Why is it that everything ANDROID does have to imitate APPLE? Samsung fascinate, Samsung Galaxy and now Samsung Galaxy player. I would like to see android not copy apple just to give us a cheaper alternative. Every new release has to be an ipad killer, an ipod killer or iphone killer....these days. Can't we just look beyong apple? Give me a break.
The problem is that Apple has an AWESOME interface. I personally like the Apple interface... I however, do not like that you have to use Itunes for EVERYTHING. Nor do I like that the store is not an "open" market like Android.
Face it, Ipods and Iphones were out on the market before Android devices. With that being said.... I have 5 Android phones and have no intentions of EVER going to an Iphone even if it does come to VZW. I personally like the Android OS better.

harrellj

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but the 3 "Android" items you listed are all Samsung, not Google. The thing with the Android OS is that its free and open-source, so anybody can use it for what they want (like Barnes and Noble's Nook device). Also, the Samsung Fascinate is part of Samsung's line of Galaxy S phones.

Just to clarify a few points.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The real problem is no one can release a tablet/touchscreen phone/touchscreen media player without the media labeling it as an "ipad/od/hone killer"

tappin and a talkin

fox_dye

Reaction score
Wow man way to bash android. Its all about marketing. The ignorant masses think if its not apple its not good. So they market the products to say look at this it does more than the Iwhatever and its cheaper. They use apple as a ploy to get people to try the product. Because apple is old and people know the brand.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off Samsung is NOT Android (considering all the devices you listed...) so do not take the actions of a manufacture as the actions/intentions of the OS. Second until Android there was no good, common OS that could do all the things that iPOS allowed but now with Android there is so developers are taking advantage of it (prior to Android a developer needed a separate OS for every device or needed to develop and support their own $$$$). As for comparing them to apple products... DUH.. really... they were here first and have the largest market share and (by some are considered the best) so they are considered THE competition to beat... Apple also has the most to loose considering their market share they have with so few devices so Android could potentially be a real threat to apple and iPOS devices by showing consumers (well the non iFan brain-dead ones anyway) how little choice/options they actually had with apple products. Granted any of this is a long way from materializing but it's the main point behind all the comparisons.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off Samsung is NOT Android (considering all the devices you listed...) so do not take the actions of a manufacture as the actions/intentions of the OS. Second until Android there was no good, common OS that could do all the things that iPOS allowed but now with Android there is so developers are taking advantage of it (prior to Android a developer needed a separate OS for every device or needed to develop and support their own $$$$). As for comparing them to apple products... DUH.. really... they were here first and have the largest market share and (by some are considered the best) so they are considered THE competition to beat... Apple also has the most to loose considering their market share they have with so few devices so Android could potentially be a real threat to apple and iPOS devices by showing consumers (well the non iFan brain-dead ones anyway) how little choice/options they actually had with apple products. Granted any of this is a long way from materializing but it's the main point behind all the comparisons.

long way from materializing? try never going to materialize. there is not going to be a mass exodus of "ifan brain dead" (your words not mine) users to android. Android, unfortunately, is going to get rocked by the iPhone if it is released on VZW.

Which sucks, because I love Android. Unfortunately, the consumers have spoken, and they haven't stopped speaking for 4 years. the iPhone is simply what people prefer over any other OS, and Android is not going to change that unless they find a way to deliver a reliable, fluid OS like iOS. So far no company has done that with an android os.

I find all the "iPhone killer" comparisons pretty lame too, it makes the company look like they're trying to hard, but like you mentioned, they have to do that because Apple is the one to beat, plain and simple.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
long way from materializing? try never going to materialize. there is not going to be a mass exodus of "ifan brain dead" (your words not mine) users to android. Android, unfortunately, is going to get rocked by the iPhone if it is released on VZW.

Which sucks, because I love Android. Unfortunately, the consumers have spoken, and they haven't stopped speaking for 4 years. the iPhone is simply what people prefer over any other OS, and Android is not going to change that unless they find a way to deliver a reliable, fluid OS like iOS. So far no company has done that with an android os.

I find all the "iPhone killer" comparisons pretty lame too, it makes the company look like they're trying to hard, but like you mentioned, they have to do that because Apple is the one to beat, plain and simple.

There will be VZW customers who drop Android devices and go to the iPhone if and when it comes to Verizon...thats a no-brainer. The reason is simple...iPhones are for the most part, smart phones for the lowest common denominator segment for cell phone users. I know that sounds harsh, but it is the simple truth. I see it time and time again with iPhone users...all they know is they have apps and can use iTunes for everything they want.

I have a Droid X...it can do everything an iPhone 4 can do, except 2 way video chat, and many things an iPhone 4 cant...do you think the average iPhone user cares? Nope, not in the least...cause its still an iPhone...and thats all they care about.

Until Android partners with a phone maker to the point that the device they build and market is as seamless and easy to use as the iPhone, Apple has no real worry as far as losing full market value of its devices. Dropping an iPhone on VZW would only strengthen the Apple brand exponentially.

I will still be rocking my DX..cause I can swap batteries, storage, and customize until my heart is content...without Steve Jobs telling me I am wrong...:)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

There will be VZW customers who drop Android devices and go to the iPhone if and when it comes to Verizon...thats a no-brainer. The reason is simple...iPhones are for the most part, smart phones for the lowest common denominator segment for cell phone users. I know that sounds harsh, but it is the simple truth. I see it time and time again with iPhone users...all they know is they have apps and can use iTunes for everything they want.

I have a Droid X...it can do everything an iPhone 4 can do, except 2 way video chat, and many things an iPhone 4 cant...do you think the average iPhone user cares? Nope, not in the least...cause its still an iPhone...and thats all they care about.

Until Android partners with a phone maker to the point that the device they build and market is as seamless and easy to use as the iPhone, Apple has no real worry as far as losing full market value of its devices. Dropping an iPhone on VZW would only strengthen the Apple brand exponentially.

I will still be rocking my DX..cause I can swap batteries, storage, and customize until my heart is content...without Steve Jobs telling me I am wrong...:)

android users bash iPhone and swear by android just as much (honestly i think more) than iPhone users bash android and swear by iOS.

the whole "Steve Jobs telling me I am wrong" and "lowest common denominator" statements that you're making further prove that point. it's really like android users (at least the die hard ones on this forum) believe that iPhone users are complete and utter idiots who have no grasp on anything and simply obey what Steve Jobs tells them. How that is not viewed as the stupidest thing imaginable is beyond me. But it just goes to show you that on both sides, there are those who have weird issues with people who don't like their choice of phone. The childish bashing is lame. Extremely lame.

Further, you are making the assumption (the very, very, VERY wrong assumption) that every android user knows more about their phone then the iphone people know about theirs. Like the smartest of the smart buy androids, and the dumbest of the dumb opt for something else. Again, the stupidity of such statements should be apparent to anyone reading them, but sadly they're not.

The iPhone is not going to be beat by an android device...no individual android device comes remotely close to having the success of the iPhone. When/if the iPhone goes to VZW, android will take a huge hit. And when the iPhone becomes 4G/LTE capable, android will suffer an even bigger hit.

You dont plan on leaving android, and neither do i. I've tried an iPhone, and as great a phone it is, I prefer having a phone that is "open" (although the term "open" is becoming more diluted what with the lockdowns on the android phones that are being released since the D1)

As much as you want to believe the contrary, the iPhone simply is an amazing device, that will continue to outsell every individual android phone known to man. When I'm proven wrong, I'll apologize, but I do ask that you don't hold you breath.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Um, everything you just said was Samsung. It's not the Android OS copying Apple, it's Samsung. :)

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Android does not imitate. There are only so many ways a different os xan be built and be on simlar devices. The killer comments are mostly by fanboys and girls or companies hoping to finally land a right hook on apple's share. Android is not the only os updating it's look and feel to compete either, it's just the only one with balls to be noticed. RIM lost it by keeping to only one format for the longest time. I had an iphone at release and can say for all the time I had it, I was frustrated and wanted more. Constant crashes due to opening the device and limited mobile storage. I would try another iphone for s and g's if they could fix that, but as a permanent move, I think not. It's not always imitation, but you have to be similar to get better it seems. It's a market out there, a lot worse than a jungle.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
android users bash iPhone and swear by android just as much (honestly i think more) than iPhone users bash android and swear by iOS.

the whole "Steve Jobs telling me I am wrong" and "lowest common denominator" statements that you're making further prove that point. it's really like android users (at least the die hard ones on this forum) believe that iPhone users are complete and utter idiots who have no grasp on anything and simply obey what Steve Jobs tells them. How that is not viewed as the stupidest thing imaginable is beyond me. But it just goes to show you that on both sides, there are those who have weird issues with people who don't like their choice of phone. The childish bashing is lame. Extremely lame.

Further, you are making the assumption (the very, very, VERY wrong assumption) that every android user knows more about their phone then the iphone people know about theirs. Like the smartest of the smart buy androids, and the dumbest of the dumb opt for something else. Again, the stupidity of such statements should be apparent to anyone reading them, but sadly they're not.

The iPhone is not going to be beat by an android device...no individual android device comes remotely close to having the success of the iPhone. When/if the iPhone goes to VZW, android will take a huge hit. And when the iPhone becomes 4G/LTE capable, android will suffer an even bigger hit.

You dont plan on leaving android, and neither do i. I've tried an iPhone, and as great a phone it is, I prefer having a phone that is "open" (although the term "open" is becoming more diluted what with the lockdowns on the android phones that are being released since the D1)

As much as you want to believe the contrary, the iPhone simply is an amazing device, that will continue to outsell every individual android phone known to man. When I'm proven wrong, I'll apologize, but I do ask that you don't hold you breath.

I`m not bashing the iPhone, or its users...for the most part. Simply put, in my personal experience, I have rooted far more Android devices than I have jail broken iPhones or iPods...the reason being, Apple products cater to the average user...who doesnt really care to jailbreak and possibly FUBAR their expensive device. The fact that people who buy an Android device, again, in my personal experience, generally come to another Android owner and ask them questions on how to make their device better, leads me to believe that the learning curve is steeper on the Android design.

I dont see Apple losing any real market share, and I said as much in my original post, as well as stating that I believe Apple will sell more devices once they are on VZW...that is a moot point. Apple has a massive foothold on the "smartphone" market...but that foothold was gained by selling a device that even GrandMa Betty could use...without having to do anything with it out of the box...and it has stayed the same. Apple markets to the buyer who just wants a shiny smartphone with a large selection of apps...if it uses iTunes, thats even better. The fact that Apple has had 4 generations of its phone in the market vs the 2 years of android also says a lot. We have not seen the hardware/software integration of Android/Devices like the iPhone as of yet. If and when Android can pair with a device as well as the IOS and iPhone pair, then Apple may have something to fear...until then, they are not at risk.

BTW, thanks for assuming what I think of the iPhone, gleamed from a single post in 1 thread. Nowhere in my post did I say the iPhone wasnt a good device. Fact is, it is a good device...but it could be better...same as most devices. The fact that Apple and Steve Jobs are the owner is why it will not ever be what it could be...a true Monster Smartphone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I apologize for assuming, you just threw me off with your lowest common denominator and "steve telling me" stuff. It sounded like every other fanboy statement about how great android users are and how dumb iphone users are.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I apologize for assuming, you just threw me off with your lowest common denominator and "steve telling me" stuff. It sounded like every other fanboy statement about how great android users are and how dumb iphone users are.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
No problem...after re-reading it, it did sound kinda "fanboyish"...

Truth be told, I was gonna be an iPhone 1 buyer..until I got dropped by Cingular/AT&T 3 months before the iPhone dropped for lack of use on their towers.

I happen to think the IOS is a great OS...but it is being under utilized in its present form on the iPhone. There is soooo much more that could be done with it if it were opened up to devs instead of being locked down tighter than Motorolas bootloader...:icon_evil:

The IOS is as slick of an OS as there has been...but thats to be expected from Apple...they are not known for shoddy equipment on the whole...software or hardware. As to be expected, they have been pushing their OS for 4 years or so now...and even longer if you take into account that IOS is a straight derivative of OSX...and thats where Android is taking a bath at the moment. Once Android gets some good years under its feet, I see no reason why it cant run head long with IOS...

styx

Reaction score
Mr first MP3 player was a PMP500 by Rio. It was out WAY before Ipods!!! Apple copied them! Why did they have to copy them?