Help understanding the basics? (I hope, general multiquestions/discussion)

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had always been working with Apple iOS and all that jazz...
I had an iPod touch 3G 64gb that finally broke...

I went online looking for alternatives because I finally got fed up with apples products as they are so locked down and such a pain to do anything worth while...

I came across the Samsun Galaxy Player 5.0, This thing is AWESOME! :D

It is an android device running android:
firmware version: 2.3.5
kernal version: 2.6.35.7

idk what else is needed as far as device info...

My basic questions come from what I have read because I dont understand this...

With the iPod touch and iPhones one program was able to jailbreak the device and crack it, and it was only specific to the firmware version...
With the android devices, I am reading that there are different methods for different devices...?
or is it specific to the Android software version? or both?

Is anyone able to recommend me to the best programs and directions for the device I own?
I try searching and looking but I do not find anything for this specific device... I do however find for simmaliar devices but they are the actual Samsung phones...idk

I'm only looking to root the device and run permissions changer app for now...
I'm really only looking for once I get it rooted, I can start looking around inside the device to see what I can do later...

I have had this device for a while already and I really like the android OS over the iOS apple makes, its not even rooted and it has way more functionality and less blocks/restrictions than the iOS Apple made! :)

Thank you for the help! :)
zBuster

Jonas

Reaction score
I have never heard of this device, but I can tell you how to attempt to root it. you will want to search for moto-one-click-root. That is a simple root method and work really well. Or the "Droid 3 root method". Same principle. You could also try an app called z4 root. It's not available on the market but if you search z4 root.apk on google, you can find it. Good luck and welcome to DF!

OP
Z

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!
I dont have time tonight, but I'll check tomorrow, i did google a few things recomended and clicked the link, looks very helpful!

I have this device:
Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0

I think it is a relitavley new device so that might be why u might not have heard of it yet...
It is everything that a smart phone has the only thing is the 3G/4G or whatever cellular bands chip was removed, can hold it up to your ear and make phone calls over wifi very nicley using the apps i found on the app store, and its free! :D

I bought it because I really like the MicroSD cards it can take... I can just cary an extra card if I ever needed (Which I actually dont have a problem with...lol)

I also like how it has REAL GPS using the actuall sattelights, and it can also do wifi hybrid GPS! :D
Offline maps makes this thing really nice to have! :)

silver6054

Reaction score
I have never heard of this device, but I can tell you how to attempt to root it. you will want to search for moto-one-click-root. That is a simple root method and work really well. Or the "Droid 3 root method". Same principle. You could also try an app called z4 root. It's not available on the market but if you search z4 root.apk on google, you can find it. Good luck and welcome to DF!

Use the link posted by adamwhitehead! This is a samsung device running 2.3.5. Jonas's first two suggestions are specific to motorola devices running 2.3.4 or earlier, and z4root only works on Froyo (2.2).

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Do not try either the moto one-click or D3root methods. Those are for Motorola devices only and do not work for other brands. You will have to find a root method that works for Samsung devices. Usually root methods are fairly device specific, but more broadly brand specific. Since you're on Android 2.3.5 the root method for a Galaxy SII phone might work, repeat might. I will see if there's one for this device and post a link if I find one.

Edit: supposedly this will root the Galaxy player.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321582

LLR0717

Last edited:
OP
Z

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
wow, lots of information...

I'm reading now, I just woke up, its sunday so I got nuthing to do right now...
This looks fun...lol :p

EDIT:
The galaxy player 4.0 is different from what I have (5.0), I do know that they were made differently in some ways...
I dont see specific model, but I only read abould half of everything in that thread & its links so far...

After about a few weeks of looking around, maybe a month, I'll probably root the device, Its not that urgent for me right now as its sooo much more OPEN than the iOS I'm used to...lol
I paid a good amount for this, sooo I'm a bit reluctant to root it for the risk of breaking it is in my mind...
I dont have the money to buy another one... :p

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I played with one of these at BB a couple of weeks ago. It is a very nice mini Android tablet/MP3 player. I have even considered getting rid of a data plan and going to a dumb phone to save the money I spend on a data plan. Since my wife and I are both retired and normally together when out, we could get by with just her smartphone to check something when not in range of wifi.

I believe that the 4" and 5" version are identical except for price, size, weight and battery capacity. Resolution and capabilities are the same. The bigger battery in the 5" gives it about 60% longer battery life.

Last edited:
OP
Z

zBusterCB87

Reaction score
Ok...

Yah, Thats what I kinda did but I never had a data plan, This things exactly like a smart phone/hand held computer...
The only thing it does not have over lets say any droid smartphone or other smartphone is a 3G/4G cellular compatable bands chip...

I have google voice and sipdroid apps that lets me have completly free 2 way texting and calling over wifi! :)
And, because I am always at a wireless location being a college student, this works out great, I have my dum phone with my parents family plan that is for emergencies (which I never use except when i talk to my parents, and even then I use my galaxy 5 now) and everything works out great! :)
(I use the galaxy 5 to talk to all my friends, cellular contracts are so over priced...lol)
I was origionally thinking of a 30 dollar data plan 4G LTE Droid Bionic and adding tethering but then I realized its too expensive... I had asked the verizion rep why the tethering costs 20 dollars extra per month if you use the same cellular connection, the phone acts as a router and just forwards packets, and you still have the same 4GB cap, they said because your phone has to forward the packets that it costs 20 dollars more...wtf? lol
I never got a straight answer, first they said it was because you have to download the program, then they kept changing it from there...
In reality it should not matter if the phone does all the surfing versus the computer, its the same IP address and same network connection...idk

My most favorite part is that I do not have too use an earphone headset or keep it on speakerphone when sending/recieving calls, it has the earpiece and mic, which works wonders cuz i can hold it next to my head and fry my brain! lol

(I look back now and wish this was out sooner, all the money I wasted on my last two iPod touches was such a wast, this galaxy 5 actually provides functionality where its needed and costs so much less! But wait, the iPod touch has retina display... so...? it does not matter how pretty it is past a certain point, I want the galaxy 5 because it actually works the way you want to use it without having to hack it first, you can hack it later for fun...lol)
And the galaxy 5 still looks really nice and the screen is still clear!

idk I am just happy...lol

Last edited: