[Upd] Apple Revises Lawsuit Against Samsung; Gets Nastier; Doubles Offending Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apple-vs-Samsung-logos.jpg

*[Updated:] Another report came in today regarding the Apple vs. Samsung hearing we reported on yesterday. Here's a direct quote from the FierceWireless article,
Executives from Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Samsung have been holding talks to try and resolve the ongoing patent dispute between the companies, according to a lawyer representing Apple in the case.

The disclosure came in a court hearing Friday, when Apple ratcheted up the litigation between the two companies by claiming that more of Samsung's devices infringe on Apple's patents and trademarks.

At the hearing, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh spoke about the close business relationship Samsung has with Apple (Apple was Samsung's second-largest customer in 2010 after Sony, mainly for chipset purchases), "Can't we all just get along here?" asked Koh, according to Reuters.

Harold McElhinny, an attorney for Apple, said the patent dispute has received the attention of executives "at the highest levels" of the two companies.

"Can we get them together?" Koh asked. "They are in fact meeting and talking," McElhinny responded, without providing more details.

However, a Samsung spokesman sought to throw cold water on the idea. "We are unaware of any meetings or discussions between the two sides over this matter," Samsung spokesman Kim Titus told FierceWireless.
It's great to see the Judge trying to get cooler heads to prevail. It'll be interesting to see if the two companies can really hash things out away from the courtroom.

The drama of Apple vs. Samsung just got a bit nastier from Apple. The company recently revised their lawsuit, and pretty much doubled the number of devices and patents they claim have been infringed by Samsung. Their amended lawsuit has an even harsher tone than their last one, stating that Samsung produced "products that blatantly imitate the appearance of Apple's products to capitalize on Apple's success." The devices now named in the lawsuit have gone from 14 to 28, and include the Samsung DROID Charge, Exhibit 4G, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy S, Gravity, Infuse 4G, Nexus S 4G, Replenish, Sidekick, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Galaxy S II & others. Furthermore, Apple now claims that Samsung violated 8 utility patents, (increased from 5), and 5 design patents, (increased from 3).

On Friday, Samsung was scheduled to turn over some of the devices named in the suit, including the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 among others. There is still no word yet on whether the judge has ruled on Samsung's counter-suit, requesting that they have access to future Apple products like the iPhone 5 and iPad 3. It seems that Apple, rather than backing down from Samsung, has instead decided to fight even harder. As always, we will keep you informed of any new developments.

Source: Android.net via PhoneArena

Last edited:

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I will say that many smartphones seem to try and imitate iPhones and I want to tell all of those manufactures to knock it off, be original and create their own unique design(s). If I want a phone that looks like an iPhone I'll buy an iPhone, but I'd rather have something that stands out on it's own. Look at how many car manufactures seem to make their cars look like other cars with only slight differences; sometimes it's hard to tell what type of car it is without seeing the emblem. Yet when you see a sports car or just a car with a unique design it catches your eye and you can usually tell right away what type of car it is. I'm tired of this cookie-cutter design b.s. As far as Apple goes they're just being the bully of the playground which is one more reason I avoid buying Apple products.

texanmike

Reaction score
I am quite sure that apple is not suing apple. Just saying. dancedroid

Mike

debdroid1a

Reaction score
As far as Apple goes they're just being the bully of the playground which is one more reason I avoid buying Apple products.
So true.
They recently "borrowed" from other manufactures for ios5.
Drop down notification: Android
Text: BB
Instant camera: Windows.

If you're going to sue someone for stealing ideas from you, then don't steal from others. It's a bit hypicritical.

And when they wanted to see another manufactures future phones but won't show theres... ah come on!

Sorry if that sounds so anti-apple and negative, but it just gets to me when adults act like 2 year olds. Mine, :icon_ cry:mine, :icon_ cry:mine:icon_ cry: . And that applies to every company. I can understand if they do steal from them, if you make something that's yours, and you're not stealing from others, then that's different.
But play fair.

/rant

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the catch

Just corrected the title. Should be correct now.

I just wanted to thank you for catching the typo in my title. That was a real brainfart! Doh!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked at the extra phone mentioned in the lawsuit?

More with stock Android, phone with physical keyboards, Black berry like phones...at first I thougt it was Apple being pissed about the Galaxy S looking like an iPhone...so whats up with these new phones added....Apple might as well add the F700 in there to while they're at it...

I think one phone doesnt even have Android on it and has a physical keyboard..yea really...

And the phones with physical keyboards are included for hardware complaints from Apple.

The stock Android messaging icon is mentioned. So far I think thats the only icon Apple is upset about with stock Android. So they can try to sue for 1 icon?

When did this go from a look n feel, trade dress lawsuit to this from Apple? Apple mad about Samsung wanting to see upcoming devices? IMO Samsung just wanted to head off any more copying claims. I guess Apple didnt take too kindly to that.

Apple needs to stop bsing around and just come out and sue Google for Android.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Keep in mind, patent infringement lawsuits don't necessarily have to include things that have actually been produced. If a company has an intellectual or physical patent on something, even if never produced, they hold the rights to it. That's why there are so make companies that employ teams that basically sit back and come up with patent ideas constantly.

warped1987

Reaction score
This is just ridiculous. They can design their products to look whatever way they want.

I hope they are suing HTC for the Thunderbolt as well, since it looks pretty much exactly like the iPhone 3G

TheTyler0013

Reaction score
This is childish.... half the phones don't look like the i****.... they want the phones so they can in return steal Samsung's stuff and try to make the iPhone win again.

shadow00198

Reaction score
I may be wrong and so I apologize but didn't Samsung use the design before Apple? If that is the case then Apple needs to chill. However if I am wrong and Apple came first then I would agree with Apple that Samsung should come up with their own designs. I don't like the idea of everyone using the same hardware, at least try to stand out. I can understand some similarities, especially if it is a truly good design but don't 95% copy the design.

THIS IS THE SIGNATURE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR
NormanTech:
NormanTech: The tech blog you have been dreaming about.