Samsung Rethinking Tablet Pricing and Form Factor Strategy due to iPad2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
GALAXY-Tab-101.jpg

Apple's just announced iPad2 with cheaper pricing had Samsung running a bit scared it would seem. Executive VP Lee Don-Joo, has said that they want to rethink their pricing model for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the eventual 7-inch Galaxy tab, in light of the announced iPad2. He also indicated, in reference to the thinness of the iPad2, that Samsung intends to "improve the parts that are inadequate." That is an 'interesting' way of putting it. I've never heard of 'thinness-envy' before...

Regardless, it means cheaper pricing on Galaxy Tab products and potentially improved technology for consumers. The Tablet Wars are starting to get mean already!

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidPolice

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
At least one of these manufacturers are thinking cause Motorola definitely isn't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

TheOldFart

Reaction score
At least one of these manufacturers are thinking cause Motorola definitely isn't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with that. For instance, the XOOM wifi will be $539 at Sams Club. Although the specs are not fully shown, we can assume for now that it will be the same 32GB as the 3G/4G XOOM. That is $60 less than a 32GB iPad 2 from what is known. That is $60 less for a tablet, at least in my opinion, that is better than the $599 32GB iPad 2. Yes, $799 is a high price to pay for the 3G XOOM, but it is "only" $599 with a 2 year contract. The 32GB 3G iPad 2 will likely be $729, with or w/o a contract. Why pay the extra for a 3G model if you only want wifi?

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Yay for OP! I'm glad Samsung is thinking, some. Now if they would think about their software department too, then I might start to reconsider their devices.

And while I agree with TheOldFart, relative to the iPad, I still kinda think they're overpriced. Seriously. Look at the Nook Color and the Viewsonic GTablet. Those are reasonably-priced products. Both are very non-ideal from the manufacturer, but that's mostly software issues that we can fix (*glares at Motorola*). Few of those issues are hardware-based (except Nook Color buttons - but that's an understandable design decision for an eReader and should be a known factor for any buyer of a "Nook Color Tablet").

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Yay for OP! I'm glad Samsung is thinking, some. Now if they would think about their software department too, then I might start to reconsider their devices.

And while I agree with TheOldFart, relative to the iPad, I still kinda think they're overpriced. Seriously. Look at the Nook Color and the Viewsonic GTablet. Those are reasonably-priced products. Both are very non-ideal from the manufacturer, but that's mostly software issues that we can fix (*glares at Motorola*). Few of those issues are hardware-based (except Nook Color buttons - but that's an understandable design decision for an eReader and should be a known factor for any buyer of a "Nook Color Tablet").

Oh, I agree that they're all overpriced. That' why I bought NOOK color.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if thinness is always better, to a point anyway. Haven't played with any of these, but given the size of the tablets to thin might seem a bit fragile to me. I could see weight and balance maybe being an issue but is 1.2 lbs vs. 1.1 lbs or 0.87 inches thick vs 0.72 or whatever really a difference?

Just strikes me a bit funny that in the "spec war" Apple is able to create a rather meaningless spec to differentiate on. "Oh my goodness! holding my fingers 0.2mm closer together is so much more natural and comfortable".

I don't know if these have a kickstand or not, but to me that would be a bigger deal than a few mm difference in thickness.

SkullOne

Reaction score
Good for Samsung. Glad they woke up unlike Motorola. Maybe they won't screw up with pricing on future tablets like Motorola did with the Xoom.

The Xoom could have been a true iPad killer but the stupid pricing, lack of a WiFi only version at release, having to send Xoom away to get 4G upgrade, and forcing you into 2 year contracts instead of on-demand like iPad was incredibly stupid. That stupidity killed the Xoom's chances before it even got started.

vernontwg

Reaction score
as much as i love android, the idea of garageband in my hand is astonishing.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Look, everyone else NEEDS to be cheaper than the iPad or at most the same price if they are to have a chance. Imagine if Macs were cheaper than PCs, very few people would buy a PC if they could get a Mac for less. The reason Windows won against Mac (in terms of # of users) is because Macs were just too expensive for most people. Android tablets have to do the same as PCs to beat Apple. Most don't care about the spec, all they see is that iPad is cheaper and easier to use. And 2-year agreements are an absolute rip-off. You only save about 200 dollars and end up paying at least 30 dollars a month for 2 YEARS, which equates to about $720. So you end up losing over 1000 dollars. At least with the iPad you pay month-to-month, so no contracts, only 3g when you need it.

nyeshia0431

Reaction score
Im just not understanding why all tablet manufactures don't mimic iPads pricing strategy to truly be competitive...thats what I would do