New Chart Comparing Detailed Specs of New Samsung Galaxy Tabs to iPad2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tab-10.1-vs-tab-8.9-vs-ipad-2-.jpg

Here's a cool chart showing off a detailed comparison of the new Samsung Galaxy Tablets, the 10.1 and the 8.9, to the Apple iPad2. The highlights are that the new Android tabs from Samsung are thinner, lighter, have more powerful cameras, and higher resolution screens. They also happen to have Honeycomb, and are competitively priced.

It looks like Samsung really stepped up their game. The original Galaxy Tab seemed more like a toy, but these seem poised to fight. Would you reconsider a Samsung Tablet now?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via PhoneArena

HamDog

Reaction score
Competitively priced? Sorry folks, but just because it's basically the same price as an iPad, I don't consider it "competitive". I've said this before and I'll say it again: A Windows based PC with the same specs as a Mac is FAR cheaper than the Mac. Any accessory with the Apple label is also far more expensive than the same accessory for a regular PC. So why are tablets so different?

We have a lot of hard core Android fans in here (and I'm one of them), but lets face reality that MOST people aren't as hard core as we are! Apple has a great reputation out there. Great support. They have established themselves extremely well in the computer/phone/tablet industry. They make quality products. They have their own stores with knowledgeable staff. Basically, they have proven themselves.

I just can't see how all these tablets coming out are priced as high as the iPads. Android tablets aren't gonna kick any iPad butt at these price levels. Sure, just like any AAPL fanboy will buy any product by Apple, we too have the Android fan boys who'll buy anything new with Android. But we are far too few to move markets.

I really think any Android tablet that's comparable to the iPad should be AT LEAST $100 to $200 less than the iPad. Even if some of it's features are better.

CletusVanDam

Reaction score
Competitively priced? Sorry folks, but just because it's basically the same price as an iPad, I don't consider it "competitive". I've said this before and I'll say it again: A Windows based PC with the same specs as a Mac is FAR cheaper than the Mac. Any accessory with the Apple label is also far more expensive than the same accessory for a regular PC. So why are tablets so different?

We have a lot of hard core Android fans in here (and I'm one of them), but lets face reality that MOST people aren't as hard core as we are! Apple has a great reputation out there. Great support. They have established themselves extremely well in the computer/phone/tablet industry. They make quality products. They have their own stores with knowledgeable staff. Basically, they have proven themselves.

I just can't see how all these tablets coming out are priced as high as the iPads. Android tablets aren't gonna kick any iPad butt at these price levels. Sure, just like any AAPL fanboy will buy any product by Apple, we too have the Android fan boys who'll buy anything new with Android. But we are far too few to move markets.

I really think any Android tablet that's comparable to the iPad should be AT LEAST $100 to $200 less than the iPad. Even if some of it's features are better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If any Android tablet wants to penetrate the tablet market that Apple is DOMINATING, they need to be $100-200 cheaper. I know the Xoom and Galaxy Tab have better technical specs, but that won't sell them to people who for last year have heard nothing but iPad this and iOS that.

AltimateJP

Reaction score
Tough argument. I'm on the fence about it. On one hand, I think the manufacturers of TRUE Android tablets are setting prices that match or exceed the iPad 2's prices to avoid having consumers view their products as cheap iPad knock-offs. A semi-educated consumer will buy an iPad if confronted with a choice between the iPad and one of those K-mart tablets running Android 2.1. This is the majority of consumers.

But many consumers don't know squat about hardware specs. They'll buy whatever has the coolest commercial. These are the people like my aunt, who is self-diagnosed as computer-illiterate (with said diagnosis confirmed my me), who just last night told me that she wanted one of those "tablet things". She doesn't own a smartphone, knows nothing about iOS, Android or whatever. She doesn't even have internet access in her house - she uses ours when she visits. What she does know is that she likes using the internet, and it would be really nice to hold the internet in one hand. She watches plenty of TV but hasn't yet been corrupted by Apple's commercials, because she did not mention the iPad or Apple by name when we talked. She's a senior citizen on a "fixed income". She'll buy whatever tablet I tell her to get, as long as it doesn't cost too much.

So what's a manufacturer to do? Where's the tablet pricing sweet spot. The Kmart Android tablets are going to be impulse purchases that turn people away from ALL other Android products (tablets, phones, e-readers...all of 'em) because these people will have a virgin Android experience that SUCKS. The Motorola XOOM costs too damn much. The safest thing to do is to match the iPad's prices exactly. Price has to be eliminated from the equation so consumers can choose which tablet to get on each's own merits.

And TV needs to be saturated with mind-blowing Android tablet commercials. There needs to be a fleet of tour buses giving hands-on tablet demonstrations. The marketing needs to be INTENSE, because this is where Apple excels.

SoDroid

Reaction score

I completely agree. In order for Android to penetrate the market, it needs to come in cheaper than the industry establishing iPad. Superior specs are nice, but most non-die hard android people will only look at price and compare it to the iPad.

If the normal, non-techie is at the store and is holding an iPad and a XOOM, they will likely go with the iPad soley based on price, this doesn't even consider name recognition. Adding that, the person assumes that Apple makes reliable hardware and is cheaper than the unknown (by them) competitors. Its a no brainer. For at least the first year, Android tablets need to take a financial hit and come out cheaper than the iPad. If they did that for one year, they would have market penetration and could price devices higher.

Snow02

Reaction score
That's an impossible feat. Apple is making very little from the ipad, particularly the base model. They have priced it that low because they can afford to, due to the app store, and to snuff out would-be competitors. The only way to sell comparably equipped android tablets for $100-200 below the ipad would be with some sort of subsidy or take a loss.

ColinZack

Reaction score
I'm disappointed that the galaxy tab doesn't have 1gb of ram, and agree with everyone else that it needs to be less expensive with better specs to penetrate the market.

HamDog

Reaction score
That's an impossible feat. Apple is making very little from the ipad, particularly the base model. They have priced it that low because they can afford to, due to the app store, and to snuff out would-be competitors. The only way to sell comparably equipped android tablets for $100-200 below the ipad would be with some sort of subsidy or take a loss.

Not sure about that. There was a parts breakdown of the Xoom and the total direct costs were less than $140:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/129181-motorola-xoom-parts-priced.html

Of course, this doesn't take into account indirect costs. Maybe Apple's margin isn't as high as it's other products on the iPad, but that doesn't mean other manufacturers can't bring down some of their margin. I just think they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Sgary25

Reaction score
What are y'all talking about...ipad is no different than the iphone...it started as the only smartphone and was marketed as the best, how quickly has that changed...how long did it take the android os smartphones to conquer apple...funny how the manufacturers didn't have to sacrifice on the price to take control of the market with android...you guys forget that the ipad had only been on the market for one year, no real time to judge how consumers will respond to the other tablets that just hit the market...not to mention that wifi only android models have not hit the market yet...I guarantee you that the android tablets will make a nice dent in the market this year...first, honeycomb must work out the bugs...I still love my Xoom, and I don't experience many issues either...only a few...just imagine how fast the smartphones took off and have yet to slow down...the smartphone lovers want a tablet that operates like their phone without the data plan. They will get it soon and then buy it. Come talk to me in three months with a new message...watch.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

GrillMouster

Reaction score
One thing these charts can't represent is the experience and the quality of apps available. All they show is specs. Specs can play a big role in the experience, but if the OS and the apps are klunky, unpolished, nonintuitive, and don't full advantage of the hardware, it doesn't matter.

I can't wait to see how Honeycomb and Android tablets develop over the next year.

alant40

Reaction score
I was waiting for the Xoom to go 4G so I didn't have to send it back to Motorola. I was also sold on the original Samsung 10.1 they showed at the MWC. This latest Samsung version is nice IMO. It amazes me how everyone compares tablets to PC's with regards to them dropping their prices to compete for your dollar. PC manufacturers are losing out to tablets as we speak. So why on earth would they drop their prices. I have a HP laptop that I paid over 1000.00 for but I want the convenience and mobility of a tablet, period. The price for these tablets don't bother me in the least. And I also own the Ipad, which I will gladly trade in for a Honeycomb based tablet.

Sgary25

Reaction score
The smartphone os increased it's ability and apps overtime, and I can't imagine google failing with the tablet...we get one version and everybody wants to write off the complete line, wow...google isn't worth 202 billion because they aren't capable of making quality software.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App