Im done! I hate the 2.1 update on the eris! Moving to Moto Droid

Darkseider

Reaction score
I have two friends with an Eris. One has the 2.1 OTA and it was a little slow. He did the factory reset and bingo.. nice and smooth. The other wanted a little more and rooted, OC'ed and he is tickled pink.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Yes, would like more info on Eris people's experience with 2.1... Have a co-worker that wants to do it... I told her to wait based on this thread....

namu1107

Reaction score
It seems more often than not, 2.1 was a success. It only seems like it's not because were at a forum, and in this forum or any other forum like this, you are going to mostly hear about people that have had problems. But what you don't hear are the rest of the people that don't have any problems. I personally have had no problems with 2.1. I love it, and excited we got it. I was a little laggy at times, but after the FR and installing Launcherpro, it's gotten a lot faster.

People are so quick to blame 2.1, 9 out of 10 times, it's not 2.1. It could be the hardware you are using, or any combination of apps running that are conflicting, or just that the phone needs a FR to clean up any stuff causing the phone to not cooperate. Verizon and HTC are not JUST now realizing the problems people are having, yet, according to this forum, they have been going on for a while. If more people that not were having major problems, verizon and htc would have known a lot sooner..

Remember people, your dealing with a smartphone. It's got hardware, software, processor, etc. Problems will arise. Just breathe and search it out. If you can't figure it out, return the phone. Don't just write off 2.1 or the eris. Some problems are more individual then that.

Machines

Reaction score
It seems more often than not, 2.1 was a success. It only seems like it's not because were at a forum, and in this forum or any other forum like this, you are going to mostly hear about people that have had problems. But what you don't hear are the rest of the people that don't have any problems. I personally have had no problems with 2.1. I love it, and excited we got it. I was a little laggy at times, but after the FR and installing Launcherpro, it's gotten a lot faster.

People are so quick to blame 2.1, 9 out of 10 times, it's not 2.1. It could be the hardware you are using, or any combination of apps running that are conflicting, or just that the phone needs a FR to clean up any stuff causing the phone to not cooperate. Verizon and HTC are not JUST now realizing the problems people are having, yet, according to this forum, they have been going on for a while. If more people that not were having major problems, verizon and htc would have known a lot sooner..

Remember people, your dealing with a smartphone. It's got hardware, software, processor, etc. Problems will arise. Just breathe and search it out. If you can't figure it out, return the phone. Don't just write off 2.1 or the eris. Some problems are more individual then that.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE 2.1. It has made my phone a better experience all the way around. The lag is gone after my factory reset, things are snappier. I still don't like the keyboard, but that's just the way it is. What I have a problem with is this HTC/Google Marketplace fiasco that is taking place. Some of the bigger tech blogs are picking up on it now so it's nice that it's getting some attention outside of the Google support board and other forums like this. Hopefully there will be a solution soon. Otherwise I will be demanding a different phone.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Switch to the Moto Droid and enjoy having a real phone

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Im done guys, i loved my eris pre 2.1, now i absolutly hate it, it has horrible reaction speed, locks and out of no where and have to reboot, gets suppppper hot when taking, and now google yea GOOGLE doesnt even work on my browser, yea i have navigation but i would trade that for my old eris in a heartbeat. Moderator Edit....Keep It Family Friendly!!!!

moving to the moto droid, it will be here on Monday.. i loved HTC but they didnt take care of eris like they should with the update.

sorry :droideris:, hello :motdroidvert:!!!

Exact same thing happened to me (throw in terrible battery behavior) and since I got my Moto things have been great.

You are doing the right thing, Eris was not built for 2.1 imo.....

Machines

Reaction score
Those of you who are switching to the Moto Droid from the Eris, is Verizon doing even swaps for you or are you just shelling out your own cash to make the switch?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon will NOT switch them out. If you want to move to a Droid or Incredible, you'll have to pay retail or open another line on your account.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Those of you who are switching to the Moto Droid from the Eris, is Verizon doing even swaps for you or are you just shelling out your own cash to make the switch?

I just happened to be at the early upgrade period, so it still cost me $200 but I am selling my Eris for $100 so.....

I wouldn't care if I had to eat the entire $200 because my Eris was only good for 4-5 hours a day. I spent the rest of the day near a charger somewhere.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
You could probably sell your Eris for more than that if you tried. I saw them on Craigslist for around $200-$250.

Machines

Reaction score
Verizon will NOT switch them out. If you want to move to a Droid or Incredible, you'll have to pay retail or open another line on your account.

Seems to me that if a phone I bought (2 of them, actually) no longer works as advertised (worse battery life, apps not being found, etc.) Verizon should be compelled to replace it with one that does. Seeing as how the next version of the Droid is coming in the next month or two, I would think a first-gen Droid should be a good swap for an Eris. My phone service at ATT may have sucked, but the customer service was really good.

RCFlyn

Reaction score
Ya, So I take my Eris to Verizon last night. Tell them "I WANT OUT OF THIS P.O.S." I explain the whole situation, she takes it and checks the settings, all is good... She fiddles with it, and wouldn't you know it, It works GREAT for her. She told me I COULD Upgrade to the MOTO-Droid, but would have ta pay FULL Retail Price. Gee, Thanks... Paying for the P.O.S. Eris don't count??? I've only had Eris since February. and The Replacement since May.
Replacement's still on 1.5...
anybody wanna buy a 1 month old Eris for $200 so I can get the MOTO????
Anybody have the Incredible yet??? I was lookin at it lastnight. But I've got a BAD Taste in my mouth from HTC so far....

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ya, So I take my Eris to Verizon last night. Tell them "I WANT OUT OF THIS P.O.S." I explain the whole situation, she takes it and checks the settings, all is good... She fiddles with it, and wouldn't you know it, It works GREAT for her. She told me I COULD Upgrade to the MOTO-Droid, but would have ta pay FULL Retail Price. Gee, Thanks... Paying for the P.O.S. Eris don't count??? I've only had Eris since February. and The Replacement since May.
Replacement's still on 1.5...
anybody wanna buy a 1 month old Eris for $200 so I can get the MOTO????
Anybody have the Incredible yet??? I was lookin at it lastnight. But I've got a BAD Taste in my mouth from HTC so far....
The Moto's retail is much more than $200 though.