Something I learned about the 2.1 update

Grettski

Reaction score
So about a month ago I got the 2.1 OTA update. I really liked the new features but it seemed really sluggish. I also had multiple problems. Someone would call and my phone wouldnt ring, but a minute later I got a missed call notification. My wife also has the Eris and hers has been a nightmare since the update. At first I thought she was nuts but I watched her try to call her dad. No lie, it took 10 minutes and 20 tries for it to go through.
So anyway, reading the threads here I saw that other people were having the same problems. You guys rock BTW. It was suggested that we do a factory restart. Now we have had the update for a while, so starting over again was a reach. So I told her to suck it up (yup, did her phone first, sorry) and did it to her phone. The difference blew me away. Way WAY faster, and no phone issues at all. So of course I did mine as well. Same thing. Completely different phone.
So here is what I learned. I have always used the swipe the pattern to unlock. It has always highlighted the circles in red. After I updated to 2.1 I had the same thing. Red circles. But after I did the factory reset the circles are now GREEN. And I have a completly new phone.
So if youre having issues, try setting a lock pattern and check the color. If its red, do the factory reset. Im a complete newbe here, just wanted to pass on what I learned.

Hope this helps some of you.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So about a month ago I got the 2.1 OTA update. I really liked the new features but it seemed really sluggish. I also had multiple problems. Someone would call and my phone wouldnt ring, but a minute later I got a missed call notification. My wife also has the Eris and hers has been a nightmare since the update. At first I thought she was nuts but I watched her try to call her dad. No lie, it took 10 minutes and 20 tries for it to go through.
So anyway, reading the threads here I saw that other people were having the same problems. You guys rock BTW. It was suggested that we do a factory restart. Now we have had the update for a while, so starting over again was a reach. So I told her to suck it up (yup, did her phone first, sorry) and did it to her phone. The difference blew me away. Way WAY faster, and no phone issues at all. So of course I did mine as well. Same thing. Completely different phone.
So here is what I learned. I have always used the swipe the pattern to unlock. It has always highlighted the circles in red. After I updated to 2.1 I had the same thing. Red circles. But after I did the factory reset the circles are now GREEN. And I have a completly new phone.
So if youre having issues, try setting a lock pattern and check the color. If its red, do the factory reset. Im a complete newbe here, just wanted to pass on what I learned.

Along these lines, is there anyway to save my scenes to my SD card?

ytwokc5

Reaction score

Glad the factory reset worked for you. My wife has been running the 3rd 2.1 leak on her Eris for some time now which by all accounts is virtually identical to the 2.1 OTA push from Verizon. The primary difference was in the install process, I performed a factory reset prior to installing the leak. I thought it was a big mistake on Verizon's part not to force a reset when 2.1 was installed on the Eris. I have thought for some time now that a factory reset would fix most of the Eris users complaints about the 2.1 OTA push.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, after doing some googling, it appears there is no way to save scenes to sd card. So I will have to recreate my scene. But, I am doing the factory reset now, and will report back.

Until then.......

OP
Grettski

Grettski

Reaction score
Okay, after doing some googling, it appears there is no way to save scenes to sd card. So I will have to recreate my scene. But, I am doing the factory reset now, and will report back.

Until then.......

Good luck. Im on day two since I did the reset and its still great. Hardly used any battery either. Normally I would be down by 20% by now.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am back to normal. That process is not without pain. It probably wasn't worth it for me since I had no problems after the 2.1 upgrade. But it didn't hurt to try, except for the pain of recovery. :icon_ banana:

makitso

Reaction score
Factory Restart?

So, I am on leak 3 and have root access. Is there some way to do a factory reset with this combo? How does one exactly do this, go to a Verizon store?

ytwokc5

Reaction score
So, I am on leak 3 and have root access. Is there some way to do a factory reset with this combo? How does one exactly do this, go to a Verizon store?

How exactly did you get root access on leak 3? Point me to a link?

OP
Grettski

Grettski

Reaction score

I never did a leak version so Im not completely sure, but I went to menu>settings>privacy>factory data reset. It will wipe your phone so back up everything! I used mybackup and astro. I had no problems getting everything back off the SD card. My phone is still running great and I havent had any of the silent calls or restarts that Ive read about on here. Same with my wifes.

Let me know if it worked

Good Luck!

makitso

Reaction score
Leak and Root

How exactly did you get root access on leak 3? Point me to a link?

IIRC, I rooted the phone first in 1.5 before I did the 2.1 leak. I don't believe you can do it once you remove 1.5.