Ignorance is NOT always Bliss..... (sigh)

TMountainHigh

Reaction score
A friendly hello to everyone :) I'm delving into the completely Unknown territory of a Motorola Droid phone. I've taken on the task in order to help a friend with his phone. Unlocking/flashing for use with different carriers is at the top of my "need to figure out how to do it" list. I also need to get an idea of what's available to do with/to this phone? Personally I've an iphone and am Mac to the core. I'm pretty familiar with jailbreaking and it's jargon. But the bit of research I've perused for the Droid, has left me feeling quite the ignorant noob! lol So if some kind soul here will point me the right direction, maybe offer a quick summation of key pointers....etc. They will be the recipient of my most abundant sincere gratitude!! Just as a note: I have to say I am pretty impressed with what I've seen of the Droid so far. And I'm Looking forward to learning what it can do. And hopefully I've come to the right place to do just that :) Kindest regards to all!

droidbook

Reaction score
A friendly hello to everyone :) I'm delving into the completely Unknown territory of a Motorola Droid phone. I've taken on the task in order to help a friend with his phone. Unlocking/flashing for use with different carriers is at the top of my "need to figure out how to do it" list. I also need to get an idea of what's available to do with/to this phone? Personally I've an iphone and am Mac to the core. I'm pretty familiar with jailbreaking and it's jargon. But the bit of research I've perused for the Droid, has left me feeling quite the ignorant noob! lol So if some kind soul here will point me the right direction, maybe offer a quick summation of key pointers....etc. They will be the recipient of my most abundant sincere gratitude!! Just as a note: I have to say I am pretty impressed with what I've seen of the Droid so far. And I'm Looking forward to learning what it can do. And hopefully I've come to the right place to do just that :) Kindest regards to all!

Welcome, if you need live help click the link in my sig and request some help!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. If your Mac has boot camp and Windows you'll be OK. If you have a virtual machine like I do, well, you better find a PC somewhere. You can do almost the entire procedure on your Mac. There is a small piece of it that needs to be done on a PC and that's using RSD Lite to add SPRecovery.

I see you already have somebody volunteering to help. Come back if you do need additional assistance.

OP
TMountainHigh

TMountainHigh

Reaction score
My sincere gratitude!! lol

Thank you to both replies!! Thank you dancedroid As for the Mac/PC issue. I have a bare bones PC running XP that I can (try) to use lol. Hopefully that will suffice. I'm heading to the live help link right away. Is there anything that I can download or have ready before I get there? You guys are awesome!! Thanks again

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

PC running XP??? Aww man, by the time I type this, u will probably already be rooted..

:)

XP is probably the least problematic, trouble-free OS to use for this.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums... if you need any help pm me i will be glad to walk you through all the steps..it is easy...

OP
TMountainHigh

TMountainHigh

Reaction score
Okay the Stupidity reference most likely applies to me ATM. j/k Ha Ha But, am I going to need a USB cord to connect directly to the PC? (Which I don't have since I just picked up the phone last night--ugh) Or can it be done via WiFi or Bluetooth? thanx :icon_eek:

droidbook

Reaction score
Thank you to both replies!! Thank you dancedroid As for the Mac/PC issue. I have a bare bones PC running XP that I can (try) to use lol. Hopefully that will suffice. I'm heading to the live help link right away. Is there anything that I can download or have ready before I get there? You guys are awesome!! Thanks again

Once you get there add Diordna as a friend, and he'll get you going, Promise! :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need the USB cable.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...covery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/46429-how-root-2-1-ota-using-sbf-adb.html

This is what the buzz is about right now... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/49671-stock-2-1-2-2-froyo-step-step-installation.html

There's always someone around to ask questions. Just follow directions EXACTLY as posted and you'll be good to go.

We've got a Rescue Squad too should something go awry.

Enjoy... Welcome to the Dark Side. :)

OP
TMountainHigh

TMountainHigh

Reaction score
Thanks I registered then wasn't sure where to go. Will do...:)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The threads I linked should get you started. From there you can check out whatever peaks your interest.