If you could only have/recommend 5 APPS ?

rls

Reaction score
Twidroid
Mediafly
Where
Last.fm
Flashlight

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
1. aCar
2. Astrid
3. ShopSaavy
4. Google Listen
5. Google Places Directory

I'm gonna cheat with an extra one...

6. GameBoid

_33

Reaction score
Top 7 for me...

Where (locate app)
Handcent SMS (best around for texting)
Dolphin Browser (works great... pinch to zoom)
Any Cut (make anything a shortcut on the home screen. i use it for speed dialing & speed texting)
PdaNet (tethering... works awesome!!!)
Qik (almost instant streaming video from you phone)
Itookthisonmyphone (uploads pics for my lazy ass)
Screebl Lite (almost mandatory to have)

Top 5 for the kids...

Splat: Bugs II (squash bugs)
Toddler Lock (awesome for the 2 yo)
Poke A Mole (mole whacking)
Finger Paint (like ms paint for kids)
Stick Boy Piano (little piano they can play)

NoKz

Reaction score
In no particular order...

1.) Home++
2.) SMS Popup
3.) Advanced Task Manager
4.) Unavailable
5.) FoxyRing

tktouch12

Reaction score
great lists. im gonna keep this thread in mind when i get my droid

rod

Reaction score
three weeks later, im going to update this list

weatherbug
sportstap - one of the better free sports apps ive found
aldiko - ebook reader, very nice
gdocs
panda - new to it, but loving it so far

weatherbug is out.
beautiful widgets is in. i purchased this after hearing all the good reviews about it and have not looked back. the integration is simply beautiful. and the weather is decent. for more detailed weather lookup, i just use the weather channel app.

sportstap is still a must. i used it heavily.

aldiko is still on there. i use it whenever i have time to waste. (im not a big game player)

gdocs is still on there, but it isnt a must. so for this list, id replace it with:
google voice. if youve been lucky enough to receive an invite, its awesome. i hate listening to vmails, so this saves a lot of "please press 7" bs.

panda is out.
home++ is in. smoother, less buggy, more professional looking. it lacks the sidedocks of panda, which i loved, but the powerstrip at the bottom is a major boost. if youve got the time, try both of these home replacements out.

shademar

Reaction score
1) Home++
2) Barcode Scanner (for use with QR codes)
3) Pandora/Slacker/Droidlive (I'm cheating, but I use all three constantly and they're similar)
4) Dolphin browser
5) Apps Organizer (of course, you wouldn't need it with only five apps =p)

ctsoccer13

Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned WorldTour. I absolutely love it--it updates your background periodically with a screencap from one of a bunch of different webcams.

I enjoy watching the sun's shadow cross through the Americas :)

- World Tour
- Locale
- Dolphin
- Home++
- Goggles

EDIT: I also had to add in RemoteDroid. Absolutely great for my HTPC when wireless keyboards and mice just wouldn't cut it.

Last edited:

jeffmull

Reaction score
Here are a few I really like:

Dizzler is a cool music app. You type in the song you want to hear and it plays it for you.

Tricorder is a visually interesting app that reminds one of the star trek tricorder. Measures things like solar spots, magnetization, sound, gravity, etc.

Where's my droid - helps you find your droid when its lost. You text a code word and it turns the sound up high and rings - even if you had sound off.

Shazam - mentioned before. I was in a restaurant the other night. My wife asked me what song was on. I whip out Shazam, it listens, and I have the answer, and a YouTube concert video of that song going in under a minute. AMAZING!!

Jeff

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
I can't limit it to 5, so here's 15+

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Handcent SMS (better than the built in SMS)
1a. Tied for first is GDE (a must have for skinning)

2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Dolphin Browser (Pinch and zoom browser and tabs)
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]MixZang Lite (A better Music Player)

4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]MotoTorch[FONT=&quot] [/FONT](uses the camera's LED as a flashlight & morris code sender.

Will even stay on while taking a picture!)

5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]ebuddy (Combines all your chat protocols into ONE APP!)
6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Documents 2 Go Pro (Allows password protect of sensitive documents)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Y5 (Shuts off WiFi to save Battery if you are not in a memorized WiFi area)
8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]Locale (Volume and Notifier settings adjuster based upon User Defined conditions)
9.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]WeatherBug
10.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]RingDroid (Ringtone & Notifier Maker from any music you have on Droid)
11.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Backgrounds (wallpaper finder)
12.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]WiFiScanner ( Looks for Open Networks within range)
13.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Power Manager (Helps you conserve battery based upon user defined settings)

14.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Smart Monitor (lets you see lots of useful information about your usage on your Droid)
15.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Time Clock (I'm self employed and work with many people. This helps me 'punch the clock' with each place I go. I can also set it up to track my wokers time-in/time-out)

16. Antivirus free (checks for security issues)
17. Absolute Fitness (keep track of daily calories & exercise)
18.Grocery King (Bar Code Scanner for making grocery shopping easy. Has Voice look-up also)
19. Bloo (Facebook App)

Here's what I'd like to find:
Something to lock the volume button for me. I am ALWAYS messing up my volume when I take my Droid out of the holster. I've missed several calls because of this. I'd like to see it lock it self when your screen blanks.
Something that will tell me how much longer until my battery dies (time remaining) and when plugged in, how long until Full Charge. I want the iphone app called 'Turbo Charger' available for my Droid
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

novacane

Reaction score
After I've played around more I've revised my top 5:

1. Home++ - Awesome home replacement app that adds a powerstrip, up to 7 screens, option to hide notification bar, looping workspace so you can keep scrolling one way to get back to home, etc. Still in beta so occasional force closing. Also includes animated flip clock/date widgets, which actually flip. FREE, LOTS of updates/dev support.

homescreen.jpg
homescreen2.jpg

The shortcuts you see on the powerstrip are customizable and the ones you see are [Phone, Favorite Contacts, App Drawer, Bookmarks, Notification Pane, Task manager]

2. Financisto - I had this on there before, great app that allows for you to keep a check registrar for multiple bank accounts, assets, liabilities, credit cards, etc. Allows for transfers between accounts, categories, project labeling, GPS labeling of transactions. Also lets you set budgets based on categories and see reports of where your money is going. FREE, regular updates, responsive developer.

financisto.jpg
financistoreport.jpg

3. SMS Popup - When you get a text message, it pop ups with the message and allows you to close, reply, delete, quick reply (using voice commands, presents, or simply typing), and more. FREE, regular updates.

smspopup.jpg
smspopup2copy.jpg

4. Pure Calendar Widget - A nice customizable calendar widget that allows for different size widgets that can be skinned. I think it is around $2.24 in the marketplace.

purecalendarwidgetcopy.jpg
purecalendareventcopy.jpg

5. Bettercut - Just purchased this and it allows for pretty much anything to be added as a shortcut and allows for changing of label and icon. Costs around $2.16 in the Marketplace.

bettercuticons.jpg
bettercutcopy.jpg

Also check out apporganizer, it's a nice app that has similar function to the folders that are built in.

Guerrilla

Reaction score
I'd have to say:

ChompSMS
Beautiful Widgets
Google Goggles
Yelp
Astrid

That's my top 5, but I have more favorites for various tasks. Like:

Twidroid and Seesmic - Twitter
Better Cut
Astro - File manager
FoxyRing and Locale - For controlling my notifications/ringtones
Google Sky Map
Google Voice
Missed Call - For customizing missed call notifications
NewsRob - For getting Google Reader updates
PicSay
Qik - Streaming video from your phone

Last edited:

Guerrilla

Reaction score
Handcent is a MUST have app......

Great SMS support and it willl auto split your messages after 160 characters and send them simultaneously.

Too much to list with this app it is FULLY customizable. There must be at least 40 settings to customize to your liking............. amazing app.

Cereal, have you tried ChompSMS at all? I keep flip-flopping and coming back to Chomp from Handcent. I like that with Chomp I can have SMS pop-ups restricted to only when the phone is unlocked.