If you could only have/recommend 5 APPS ?

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I was curious about the fishing 2 go. Showed this to an avid fishing cohort. He, now wants a Droid. His wife is not happy with me.

Oh well, I am truly amazed at these wide-ranging apps and at how useful they are.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I saw what you have written about the Nesoid app. That sounds amazing! do you know if there is any app that allows you to find any super nintendo games?
you have to download the zip file to your computer then unzip it and put all the files in your downloads on your phone. you can get all the mario games:icon_ banana: i have them:) coolrom.com, doperoms.com and romnation.com have most everything you could want. i like gameboid better tho...there are newer roms like zelda and yoshi's island. you have to download zip-bios tho or gameboid wont work. i have donkey kong country 1, 2 and 3, junglebook 1&2, yoshi's island, mario advanced 4, marioball, mario v donkey kong, zelda a link to the past and the minish cap. email me if you want more help .... this took me days to figure out but it was way worth it:)

novacane

Reaction score
1. Financisto - Great for keeping track of bank account information
2. aCar - Keeps track of Milage, service updates, and gives reports of MPG and more.
3. Newsrob - For now this is what I'm using for my Google reader account, not sure if there is a better app for this?
4. LED Flashlight - Makes your camera flash stay on like a flashlight. (.99 cents)
5. Bluetooth File Transfer - Does what it says, LOTS of updates/fixes

I'm amazed at how many updates there are for the free applications. The support is insane.

808droid

Reaction score
I have more than 5, but just thought I list the ones I use daily in no particular order.

1. Sports Tap
2. Pandora
3. Shazam
4. App Killer
5. eBuddy

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
pandahome!!
handcent!!!!!
phonemypc!!!!!!!!
lock 2.0!!
screebl!!
easy dialer premium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:icon_ banana:+*~+*~+*~+*~+*--I :heart: MY DROID +*~+*~+*~+*~+*--:icon_ banana:

ewps was that 6? well i couldn't leave out the last one!! its just about my FAV!!

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
With some of the apparently whose titles are not self-explanatory, and it's not too time consuming, please add a little descriptor of the function /benefits.

Corinacakes--can you compare the Easy Dialer vs the Droid's shortcut for direct dial?
Thanks

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
With some of the apparently whose titles are not self-explanatory, and it's not too time consuming, please add a little descriptor of the function /benefits.

Corinacakes--can you compare the Easy Dialer vs the Droid's shortcut for direct dial?
Thanks
With the droids direct dial shortcut it just puts a shortcut for one person. the easy dialer app has a grid with all my favs and when you click on their face it asks direct dial or sms :icon_ banana: i tried making one whole screen direct dial shortcuts but it sucked for me personally. check it out! you'll luv it:)

Legalgear

Reaction score
I love how weather widget is a "donation" last time I checked a donation was voluntary not forced. Forced donations are sales (or taxes) so Ib didn't install for that reason alone.

NVash

Reaction score
Im going to go with the most frequently used apps on my cell currently.

1) The Weather Channel
Nice to be able to just turn on your phone and see the weather on your home screen
2) Handcent SMS
Excellent TXT messaging program
3) Bible
Great to have if youre in Church, and it has an amazing number of different translations!
4) DailyStrip
I love keeping up with daily comic strips
5) Bloom County / Heathcliff
Two daily strips that arent listed on DailyStrip but have seperate apps
6) MangaDroid
Oddly enough, Im debating as to whether I prefer to go online for the manga or just use the app, but a great app nonetheless
7) Shazam
Its always good to have an app that will tell the name of the song youre listing to along with what CD to find it on. Sometimes it even has a pic of the CD cover
8) Aldiko
A great EBook reader that has an excellent library to choose from. I was bummed about switching to EPUB but I went into their library and was blown away
9) Twidroid
Great app, keeps me up to date on tweets, kills my battery
10) Emulators
Gameboid, NESoid, SNESoid, Gensoid, Gearoid, Android Arcade Emulator (MAME), CPS2HD Emulator, all of them are amazing. I have yet to actually play them but let me just say that Im so happy such an option even exists to play these games on a cell phone.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Im going to go with the most frequently used apps on my cell currently.

1) The Weather Channel
Nice to be able to just turn on your phone and see the weather on your home screen
2) Handcent SMS
Excellent TXT messaging program
3) Bible
Great to have if youre in Church, and it has an amazing number of different translations!
4) DailyStrip
I love keeping up with daily comic strips
5) Bloom County / Heathcliff
Two daily strips that arent listed on DailyStrip but have seperate apps
6) MangaDroid
Oddly enough, Im debating as to whether I prefer to go online for the manga or just use the app, but a great app nonetheless
7) Shazam
Its always good to have an app that will tell the name of the song youre listing to along with what CD to find it on. Sometimes it even has a pic of the CD cover
8) Aldiko
A great EBook reader that has an excellent library to choose from. I was bummed about switching to EPUB but I went into their library and was blown away
9) Twidroid
Great app, keeps me up to date on tweets, kills my battery
10) Emulators
Gameboid, NESoid, SNESoid, Gensoid, Gearoid, Android Arcade Emulator (MAME), CPS2HD Emulator, all of them are amazing. I have yet to actually play them but let me just say that Im so happy such an option even exists to play these games on a cell phone.

Get back to me and let me know which of those emulators are the best free ones.

NVash

Reaction score
Well, so far Ive found that these are free.

GameBoid
NESoid
SNESoid
Genesoid
Gearoid

A friend of mine has them and he told me that the only difference is you cant save the games. Just search for the emulator name and Lite at the end in the Market, such as GameBoid Lite, thats the free version.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Layar is an augemented reality browser. If you've used Google Navigation and gone into Street view/Compass view, it's just like that. It shows you the area as if you were standing right there. And when you look around (like physically turn 180*), the phone senses this and turns the phone view to match.

Layar isn't available for the Droid though.
Interesting that it's not, as it says it's available here...
Layar
as well as here...
Android Market
maybe there are issues w/ android 2.0 compatibility so they pulled it for the time being. ??
hopefully we'll see it soon.

edit:
aha, after a bit more snooping, i found this...
Verizon’s new Droid is currently not supported by Layar Layar

Do a search for an app called 'Augmented Reality'. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/4525-augmented-reality.html

It's does exactly what Layar does... and it's compatible for DROID 2.0

Might as well...

1. Handcent - SMS customization.
2. EStrongs File Explorer - connect via wi-fi to your home PC, manage your SD card, cut/copy/paste etc. Also has a built in task manager.
3. Quick Settings - gives one touch access to toggle sound profiles, bluetooth, wi-fi, network, gps. Also has brightness control. Show available phone freespace, SD card freespace, and remaining battery.... all in ONE screen. One icon instead of multiple toggles on home screen.
4. PhoneMyPC - remote desktop control, pinch zooming. Works over 3G or wi-fi.... developers are ALWAYS available!
5. Nesnoid - Nintendo games on your phone. 'Nuff said. LOL

Last edited:

Appleanche

Reaction score
Hi Aim - Reliable, speedy, and easy to use AIM program, I also like the notifications but I doubt that's anything special.

Pandora - Great app, and even better on Android since I can use it in the background, music lovers have to get this.

Droid Live - Listening to my favorite radio stations in Boston anywhere I go is awesome, just wish it was a bit nicer looking but whatever.

Scoreboard - Great app, I know if you are like me and follow a lot of different sports teams just getting the schedules right and times right can be real pain but this automatically notifies me when a game started, when a goal is scored, or whatever.

ShopSavvy - It's already come in use for Christmas shopping and I'm guessing it will continue, at the least to just give me easy piece of mind over the price of an item.

Other notables

Uno - Great fun, cheap, and perfect kill 10 minute game
MotoTorch LED - Really useful at night when I'm on my way home or just want to quickly check something while I'm in my bed.

jlnguyen

Reaction score
awesome thread + lists! i just got my Droid and now i know which apps are a must have! thanks :]