recommendations for apps

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendations for apps. I have never paid for an app but am prepared to do so. First though, I have an Eris and have had it have it replaced about 4 times because it begins to act erratically. When I have the phone replaced what is the procedure to regain a paid app?

Apps I need recommendations for
1) An equivalent of iPhone Dragon Dictation. The app allows you to speak your text message, turns it into text (a text message) and then can be sent.
2) Ace budget
3) iTranslate
4) Camera Place - a retro camera
5) Bible -NIV version

Thanks!
Debbie

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendations for apps. I have never paid for an app but am prepared to do so. First though, I have an Eris and have had it have it replaced about 4 times because it begins to act erratically. When I have the phone replaced what is the procedure to regain a paid app?

1) An equivalent of iPhone Dragon Dictation. The app allows you to speak your text message, turns it into text (a text message) and then can be sent.
2) Ace budget
3) iTranslate
5) Bible -NIV version

Thanks!
Debbie

I sugest a phone upgrade. I don't know what the Eris can and can't do but even the D1 can do many of the things you want, it's a better phone, and you can get one cheap on ebayll .

kingsway8605

Reaction score

2) Ace budget
3) iTranslate
5) Bible -NIV version

Thanks!
Debbie

Voice search BY GOOGLE
Google translate
Vignette

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
G

graygrannyonate

Reaction score
This was the question I didn't ask. Wasn't sure if this was the place to ask it.

So then I can get a phone some place other than Verizon and use it on my Verizon account without redoing my contract. I am just tired of my Eris "doing its thing" and being replaced with refurbished phone that just does the same thing. What charateristics do I need to look for in another phone?

montysdog

Reaction score
As far as the bible goes, check out daily bible. Sends you a verse of the day as well as daily sequential reading plans from old and new testament. I like it anyway

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as you get a Droid 1 or better, you will be good. Droid2, Droid X, Droid Incredible, or Samsung Fascinate. Personally, I would recommend the Droid Incredible because of all the issues with Motorola I have had.

Sent from my DROIDX

debdroid1a

Reaction score
This was the question I didn't ask. Wasn't sure if this was the place to ask it.

What charateristics do I need to look for in another phone?
Depends what you want in a phone.
I would suggest go to Verizon and see what phones are available right now, compare those. If you see a few you like come here and see what people say about them. Or google the phones (add DroidForums and you'll find what's posted here about them too).

If you're waiting a while, check out the news section for the latest news on newer phones. Even the ones that just come out are posted on here too (about them being released).

rockula

Reaction score
I haven't found any certain ONE Bible application that suits my needs. But the most popular one is YouVersion's HolyBible. It may require a wireless connection though. Tons of different bible translations are avail, but require being downloaded (Free). I think that is why you must be connected wirelessly. Another one I like is called LiveBible. You have to have a wireless connection, and how much of what you want to download in a day is capped. So, if you're wanting the NIV bible, you should select just New Testament, or a few of the Books you want. But it's really nice.

So far, I haven't really came across ANY Android app that has impressed me more than the Apple app's. Sorry to say, but it's true. Apple app's rule. But I prefer the Driod phone.

For pictures, Vingette is great. I paid like $5 for it. PhotoFunia is hours of fun too.

ArtieD

Reaction score
In response to your request for "1) An equivalent of iPhone Dragon Dictation."...

Speech to text is a wonderful service that smart phones offer and Android has some terrific solutions. I use speech to text very often, so I'm glad to share my experience.

The built in Google Speech to text is good, but has it's limitations. First, it stops whenever you stop speaking. So, if you pause, it will translate what you have said, but you may want it to go on. Second, it does a poor job with capitalization and punctuation. Third, it's not available on the Swype keyboard.

You need to two solutions for Speech to Text on you Android phone. First, Vlingo Virtual Assistant by Vlingo Corp. (free). This App allows you to bark out commands starting by pressing an icon on you home screen or using the InCar feature. I use it to give commands like: Call Home, Navigate to Ralphs, Text Message or Email to Joan and then dictate the message. And much, much more.

The other area is dictating text in any App where you want to enter text, such as email, SMS, notes, Word, Calendar, etc. For this I use the FlextT9 Speak-Trace-Write-Tap App by Nuance Communications, Inc. ($4.99). I was a huge Swype fan and was an expert at it. But I had to have voice to text so I tried this. This is by far the best keyboard available. It's four keyboards in one: Speech to Text, Trace (Swype equivalent), Write (like the old Palm PDA's) and Tap (like the default keyboard). Nuance makes the Dragon Speech to Text software, which is recognized as the best on the market. It does an incredible job on speech recognition. I love the way it handles capitalization, punctuation, spelling and word prediction. The Trace keyboard has some different shortcuts from the Swype keyboard, but I would say I like it better now that I'm used to it. Many of you balk at paying for any Apps, but considering how much you use the keyboard and how important it is to efficiency in using your phone, $5 isn't much. Also consider, you probably have already spent over $300 on the phone and other accessories, plus $30/month on data, so what's another $5.

Get Vlingo and FlexT9 and I guarantee you will reach new levels of success with your smart phone.

Last edited: