If you are having weak signal issues...

-126db at home all weekend, lucky if I got 4G, (Ashburn, VA 20148)
-103db at work right now, showing 3 bars on 4G (Reston, VA 20190)

I have yet to see anything better than -103db.

I had the Razr for two weeks, don't remember the signal strength, but it had much better reception for sure since I would always get 4G at home. With the GNex, I'd be lucky to get 4G at home.

Some of you are getting good signals in comparison to many of us. Those that live next to a tower are going to do better... lol

My signal in my home sits at -120 most of the time. It is strange how it actually just sits at -120 so much... but it has been as bad as -140.

Dropped calls, dropped data, dropped everything... and I am on my second device already.

With my Thunderbolt I had very good signal so I know what I should be getting. The Nexus is without doubt worse than other phones at the moment. I do have hope that it can be fixed, I just hope they get to it quickly before I have to return the phone for good and go back to my faster Thunderbolt. I want this phone badly, but I expect it to work.

I know the phone can work because I did a factory data reset and strangely the signal was where it should be and very good. I then was doing Christmas shopping in a very strong 4g area and all was well for a bit. Then as time went on the signal all of a sudden took a dive and never recovered. In that strong 4g area I was lucky to have a signal. And by the time I got back to my house where I have decent 4g coverage it was back to -120 - -140.

So if the phone could work for a few hours with no problem it should be able to work always if they do some tweaking with the software. To me it seemed like the signal just sort of started powering down.

-126db at home all weekend, lucky if I got 4G, (Ashburn, VA 20148)
-103db at work right now, showing 3 bars on 4G (Reston, VA 20190)

I have yet to see anything better than -103db.

I had the Razr for two weeks, don't remember the signal strength, but it had much better reception for sure since I would always get 4G at home. With the GNex, I'd be lucky to get 4G at home.

That is still not great, but at least you are working. I was told by tech support that anything above -95 is not a good signal.

For the most part at home I sit at -120. It's funny because it really seems to like that number.

Not sure I believe the signal is as bad as it reports. I'm at a customers in a data room where signal has always been bad with my other phones anyway. I'm showing 0 bars 3g and -120db signal. I just ran speed test and dl of 469. I got that with a couple bars on my dx. Could just be a software glitch with the strength reporting. Its also browsing like it gas a good signal. Pages loading like I would expect if there were 2-3 bars of signal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure I believe the signal is as bad as it reports. I'm at a customers in a data room where signal has always been bad with my other phones anyway. I'm showing 0 bars 3g and -120db signal. I just ran speed test and dl of 469. I got that with a couple bars on my dx. Could just be a software glitch with the strength reporting. Its also browsing like it gas a good signal. Pages loading like I would expect if there were 2-3 bars of signal

I wish this was the case and that it was all just a misunderstanding. Yes as long as you are still connected even with poor signal the phone will still download and operate.... However when you are that low you could drop coverage completely any moment. And sometimes it doesn't last long at all, and you may not notice it.

You will all of a sudden notice you have a voice mail and wonder why the phone didn't ring... Or you will be on the phone and all of a sudden your call is dropped.

Unfortunately this is not our imaginations. Trust me I wish it were, but I've been all over this phone since the minute I got it and it no doubt has signal issues. I also have a Thunderbolt that is just fine and no issues at all.

I sure Verizon will fluff this whole thing off and say they were not aware of any issues. But I think Samsung and Google care about the success of this phone.

I am going to keep a close eye on what Samsung and Google do over the next week or so. I will keep the phone if they acknowledge there is an issue and feel they can correct it.

P.S. I also called Samsung tech support and made them aware of it. Here is the number: 1800-726-7864

Last edited:
What's so frustrating about all of this (to me anyway), is that whether you're getting a good signal or not, this puts Verizon on par with AT&T. All of a sudden they're not the reliable workhorse that we all pay them to be. Yeah 4G is fast and great when it works, but when it doesn't, 4G users lose everything, even 3G a lot of times (thanks eHRPD). I guess in one sense it's good we're not paying more for 4G, but still... it just constantly feels like Verizon forced out this technology so they could claim to be the biggest/fastest with the most LTE coverage, when it clearly wasn't ready for mainstream. And yes, I know, we're early adopters, that's the sacrifice we make. But VZW sure doesn't market it like a beta product.

Since there lag time between the shut down of my OG, I checked signal strength (3G) side by side. OG = -83, Nexus = -93.

I wish this was the case and that it was all just a misunderstanding. Yes as long as you are still connected even with poor signal the phone will still download and operate.... However when you are that low you could drop coverage completely any moment. And sometimes it doesn't last long at all, and you may not notice it.

You will all of a sudden notice you have a voice mail and wonder why the phone didn't ring... Or you will be on the phone and all of a sudden your call is dropped.

Unfortunately this is not our imaginations. Trust me I wish it were, but I've been all over this phone since the minute I got it and it no doubt has signal issues. I also have a Thunderbolt that is just fine and no issues at all.

I sure Verizon will fluff this whole thing off and say they were not aware of any issues. But I think Samsung and Google care about the success of this phone.

I am going to keep a close eye on what Samsung and Google do over the next week or so. I will keep the phone if they acknowledge there is an issue and feel they can correct it.

P.S. I also called Samsung tech support and made them aware of it. Here is the number: 1800-726-7864

I wasn't suggesting it was imaginary. I see it on my screen too. I just know that my dx wouldn't perform in this location. Now thus phone is even though it is showing low signal. When my dx showed no bars it wasn't doing crap. Now this one is performing excellent with no bars. Its just from this location that I had prior data. I will continue to monitor for sure.

I can't recall what my OG droid was, but sitting at my desk this morning I've been between -104 & -120 when on CDMA/LTE and -83 & -93 on CDMA only. I often have no bars indicated (all gray) but data still seems to work.

Are these numbers worth calling about? We were driving down a mtn that I know I previously had some (mediocre) coverage on, but yesterday I had nothing - granted we were also driving through a snowstorm.

Okay I feel like there's another part of the puzzle that people aren't reporting here.

Voice goes over EVD-O (I think)
Data goes over 3G
Data goes over 4G.

The signal strengths for EACH of these are DIFFERENT. You can have good signal over 3G and nothing for 4G. So just because you are showing bad signal LTE, does not necessarily mean that you are going to have dropped calls.

Make sure you also look at the 'Mobile Network Type' under the About settings menu just under Signal strength

Just seems like after reading some people's comments, that this may help them. For those that know this, move on.

For me personally, I got a White RAZR and GNEX on release day......So I've been able to compare them side by side alot! Over all the RAZR signal is better by about 20-30dBm almost anywhere I go unless I'm in a really good signal area. I've never personally had a problem with the connection in terms of dropped data or calls, but those are the numbers on LTE.

At home for eg., on LTE my GnEx has ~100 with the RAZR next to it having ~76....but then again, I have read on Anandtech that Motorola does have some sort of secret sauce when it comes to Signal strength and battery life so I may have to live with it. BUT I am going to go to the VZ store and do some more comparisons between my Gnex and others there. if they all have the same signal then it's the general state of the Samsung radio as opposed to an isolated case of something wrong with mine.

Still can't release a phone without at least one fatal flaw...and a bad signal is probably one of the biggest.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

How long did it take to fix Bionic's radio?
Is it truly fixed, or still having problems?

This will be a deciding factor for me. No matter how good the phone may be, without a good connection, it's not that great.

Kinda like the Pimp My Ride show where they would rework the car's body and add speakers and bling, but it still could stall out on the way up the road and the mechanics may use the electronics more than the owner.

Back