If u get NO data connection -*READ THIS*-

tbolted

Reaction score
This has happened to my TB 5-6 times over the last few months. I try to do something and see either 1X or nothing, but still have bars. A couple times just turning mobile data off and back got 3G back, but usually I have to restart. Hope they figure it out soon, but I'm not sure it's the phone.

Divotman

Reaction score
I am starting to have this issue more frequently. I live in 3G coverage but work in 4G coverage.

Late last week I came home from work and my TB had only 1x. At the same time in the same room my wife's TB had 3G. I restarted a couple of times, messed with Mobile Network Connection and did two battery pulls. Finally, after the second battery pull I returned to 3G. The next night, same issue for my wife. This morning my phone said 3G but would not connect. When I got to work it connected to 4G without doing anything.

I am sick and effing tired of problems with the TB!! It is a nice device but good God, is it really that hard to get it right?

dmproske

Reaction score
Apparently so. My sister in law has a droid bionic that does these same things....no data connection in a strong 4g area. From what I read here the new razr has the same issue.

2001400ex

Reaction score
Every time I lose data, which isn't very often, I just toggle in then out of airplane mode. That solves the issue without having to reboot or pull the battery, usually.

wlaw422

Reaction score
Hey everyone...for whats its worth, this is my story (sorry its in all bold i was having trouble copying and pasting b/c i wrote this on another site as well)

I thought I would share I problem and solution I had in relation to radios. Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed/posted somewhere else.

Few bits of info first: I live in Baltimore. Strong 4g for the most part by there are definitely some spots that have weak service. Been working fairly decent since I got the Tbolt in March. I have been running BAMF Forever 1.10 for a few months. MR3 radio.

But starting in like November and all through the past two months my network connection was really frustrating me. The handoff from 3g to 4g and vice versa either wasn't happening or happening way too slow. Many times I'd be left with no data or 1x in an area where I was positive 4g was available. The worst was having the 3g or 4g logo up on top of the screen, and having the up arrow underneath it being lit up solid. When I would try to open a simple webpage it wouldn't do it.

I also had many instances of no data and I go to check the mobile network setting and it would be grayed out saying "turning on..." It really was bothering me about 3 weeks ago when I was sitting at BWI Airport (One of the first places to have 4g. Remember that initial launch list of airports that had it??) and all I could get was 1x. No 3g no 4g. Tried restarting, battery pulls, going in/out of airplane mode. Nothing. Even called verizon to make sure it wasn't a network outage and not just me.

Came on here after that and figured I should go back and try different radios working my way back one at a time from the MR3 all the way back to alpha which I remembered being a solid radio for me back in August/sept.

That didn't really help me. At this point I felt my only hope would be to wait til its time to get a new phone maybe the Tbolt just has too many bugs.

I kept hearing about revision a. on these forums but also through google searches for "thunderbolt mobile network issues"

All the articles that came up were about in the event of a 4g outage, dial ##778# to go into modem settings and change from ehrpd to enable rev a then hit menu and apply changes.

However most of them said that would only let your phone use 3g, but the good thing was it would be very stable like verizons 3g only phones. I figured id give it a quick test just to see what it was like. I was reluctant to do this though because this is a 4g phone I shouldn't have to settle for 3g only. BUT after enabling and confirming rev a and rebooting. I tried switching from 3g to 4g in the lte on/off widget and it did and has worked perfectly (contrary to what the articles said, which was you'd be locked into 3g only). I have have strong stable network connections this whole week since.

This past week I have been testing it out whenever I'm out shopping or driving. The rev a thing really solved my problem.

Once again if this is all old news I'm sorry. Just thought I'd give a heads up/advice to anyone who feels like banging their head against the wall because of nagging network issues. This did the trick for me.