If rooted and update OTA happens will we receive?

tiger505

Reaction score
If rooted and update OTA happens will we receive? EDIT See post #10

Probably a noob question and maybe this has been answered before, but if I'm rooted and IF???? there is an OTA update will our rooted Fascinate be able to receive the update?
This is of course a question based on if there really will ever be an update!
I have a Dinc also and having the Froyo on that device make it truly missed on my Fascinate.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT - Please see my post on #10 :icon_evil:

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yes you will but you will lose root.

DanielC

Reaction score
fairly certain that rooting blocks OTA. I rooted my Fascinate and scanned for updates to get DI01 and it found nothing. If/ When 2.2 drops is released for the Fascinate you can simply go back to stock or wait for it to be rooted. Just flash DJ05 or DL09 for the time being

Last edited:

Rogue27

Reaction score
Abe is right u will still receive the update the root will just be removed. If u root ur device and use an app to remove certain bloatware that came stocked on the phone that could cause u to not be able to ota because u may have removed some vital verizon files pertaining to the os otherwise ur safe to update. There r also some other things u may have to remove like one click lag fix in order to update but for the most part u shouldnt worry

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this is interesting. on my rooted Droid, it would block the install of OTA and would need a fix to stop the nags.

fairly certain that rooting blocks OTA. I rooted my Fascinate and scanned for updates to get DI01 and it found nothing. If/ When 2.2 drops is released for the Fascinate you can simply go back to stock or wait for it to be rooted. Just flash DJ05 or DL09 for the time being

root doesnt, custom recovery will though

OP
tiger505

tiger505

Reaction score
So I'm still confused but lets see what happens

From the above posts I'm really not sure what to expect. January 10th is the new update supposedly! I'm really not holding my breath. I probably will not be looking at my device that day as "we (OREGON)" are playing Auburn in the BCS...GO DUCKS. :icon_ banana:
I have to say with all the new devices that Sammy is putting to the market and if they just forget the "S" series updates then I'm done with anything Samsung.
That's it, done even if their products shine there is a frustrations level that's...
well you all know. :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
U can also re enable ota updates... some roms have the script for them disabled to protect the rom and root. Use the emulator:

Su <enter>
Ota -e

lg ally <rooted velocity 0.4>
samsung fascinate <rooted>

OP
tiger505

tiger505

Reaction score
OTA from Verizon still in testing - may never happen???

I wrote a fairly nasty letter to Verizon a few days ago and this is Verizon's response. I'll let you all draw your conclusions but I'm thinking this is not on Sammy's list of things to take care of after all the new devices at CES (not just phones either). We all may be stuck with a "new antique" with our Fascinates. If 2.2 does get the OTA I'll be thrilled but I'm thinking of switching phones and going to Sprint sooner rather than later.

[email protected] to me
show details 9:29 AM (9 minutes ago)
Good Morning Brooks,
I can certainly understand your frustration regarding the 2.2 software update and I would be happy to assist you today. My name is Jennifer and I attempted to call you today at 9:21 am PST to discuss your email directly over the phone but I was unable to reach you.
At this time, the 2.2 Froyo software update is not available for the Samsung Fascinate. We have been told that it currently is testing but we have not been given a date in which it will be released. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.
Please remember that software updates are processed and pushed out by the manufacturer. If you would like to voice your concerns regarding this update, please feel free to contact Samsung. They can be reached online at HDTV Televisions | LCD TVs, LED TVs, Plasma TVs | Samsung or by phone at 888-987-4357.
If you would still like to cancel your service, please let us know. Of course, we would hate to lose your business over your frustration with the 2.2 software update but we can understand. To cancel your service, please call us at 1-800-922-0204 or respond to this email.
Note: If you are planning on taking your number with you, the line must remain active in order for the porting process to complete.
Brooks, I am sorry for the delay in my response to your email but I hope that the Froyo update information I have provided to you is helpful. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Verizon Wireless
Internet Response Team

Last edited:
OP
tiger505

tiger505

Reaction score
Got the message about OTA update...BS BS BS

I have the BCS game on pause...Go Ducks now up 11 to 7!!! Yea.
Got the news that there is an update to the Fascinate today, how cool, oh wait no Froyo? Verizon and Samsung kiss my $#@%^^&&%$#%& Ass.
Is it not what we all trying to do to make our devices do what they are capable of doing...hence this forum. I'm going back to my Dinc and I'll never buy a Samsung again. I hope this does not offend anyone. :icon_evil:

Christoph3r

Reaction score
My rooted Fascinate took the 2.2 OTA update (last night) just fine.

Running 2.2 now. As I use it, I keep noticing small little improvements that make me happy, and, have not come across any problems yet. One minor annoyance among others: it reset all my home screens (taking me like 2 hours to put all my icons back the way I want!)

And, I'm more aggravated than ever that a simple "Startup Manager" type app is not a standard part of the Android OS - seriously WTF?!?

Why can't I choose or not, if Yahoo! runs at startup? Insanity!