ICS update keeps failing

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a bit late to the party.. Just heard about the update and it hadn't been pushed to me, so I checked and there it was.

So far, two times I have dl it and after it reboots, seemingly installs, then reboots again, once android loads I get a message saying the install failed.

FYI, I am rooted and running go launcher ex. I recently reset the phone to improve performance so there isn't much installed on the phone currently.

Is there something I need to do to get the update to work or what??

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you currently on 5.9.905?

Since you're rooted, have you frozen or deleted any bloatware?

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am indeed on 5.9.905. And actually I have frozen some bloatware. (blockbuster and a few others). Hadn't thought about that. I'll unfreeze them all and then hopefully the update should take?

ldubs

Reaction score
Yes, it should. Unless you forever rooted or had safestrap installed...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Certainly don't think I am forever rooted as I have no idea what that is. :p I'm waiting for the download... will keep you posted. Thanks for the help!!

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Well it failed again. :/ Any other suggestions before I just wipe the phone again and install the update from a clean phone?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Well it failed again. :/ Any other suggestions before I just wipe the phone again and install the update from a clean phone?
forever rooted is a particular way of rooting your phone and it creates problems that make it so the update will not work.
If your going to wipe the phone and start from scratch do a backup with titanium backup of your apps and app data and than just do the fxz to 246.
The link to the thread with the instructions and everything you need to it is at the bottom of the post.
This will make your phone like it came with ICS from Motorola.

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
sst45jeff said:
forever rooted is a particular way of rooting your phone and it creates problems that make it so the update will not work.
If your going to wipe the phone and start from scratch do a backup with titanium backup of your apps and app data and than just do the fxz to 246.
The link to the thread with the instructions and everything you need to it is at the bottom of the post.
This will make your phone like it came with ICS from Motorola.

Well I'm pretty sure I didn't do the forever root method. I just connected my phone via usb and then downloaded a batch script that handled the process. But maybe that isn't enough info to know if mine is forever rooted or not.

ldubs

Reaction score
Ok search for 246 fxz. Download all the files, drivers, fxz file, rsd lite. Read up on how to use it. Follow the instructions and flash your phone directly to ics.

OP
D

dsimmelink

Reaction score
Ok search for 246 fxz. Download all the files, drivers, fxz file, rsd lite. Read up on how to use it. Follow the instructions and flash your phone directly to ics.

Was able to use the tool to flash to ics with no problems! Now I'm just scratching my head on how to use it... ;)

ldubs

Reaction score
Sweet! Welcome to the good life.