Ics tether

jwilly216

Reaction score
grgguy said:
Can you post a tutorial for this . I need wifi/tether to work as it is my only source of internet.

Id like this as well. If foxfi works im good tho. Thats an awesome app

tlarseth

Reaction score
just to repeat this question is in regards to ICS not current bionic status. I know Foxfi works and BT tethering on the Bionic not rooted. I had read on other forums verizon was removing these option and locking apps out.

EDIT: thanks Mach does BT tethering work still without apps?

Where did you hear that, from what I understand, they are not locking out devices that is just a rumor started by someone who missunderstood a press release of Verizon's, what Verizon ment was that when the Family Data Share Plans roll out (Which will be before the offical OTA ICS build release), Verizon is doing away with the tether fee, and allowing us to go ahead and tether our phones. They believe that enough people will upgrade their phones to give enough play room on server load due to them being moved to tiered data, to accomodate those who want to tether, not to mention the FCC is looking at leaning against Verizon in their dicision of blocking tethering being a violation of the C-Block agreement, as they have done so resently on similar issues with other companies.

*Edit* From what I hear you don't have to do the Entitlement Check SQL Edit, from what I understand ICS doesn't use that value in it's database, it is there, but it doesn't use it.

bhp117

Reaction score
entitlement check sql works
if you don't want to pay for sqlite editor app you'll need these 2 app

aShell by andsen
aSQLiteManager also by andsen

i can put up a tutorial but not sure if it'll violate this forum rules

jwilly216

Reaction score
I have always wondered if there's a difference between foxfi and the wireless tether that I need root for.... Is over better than the other?

pacuff

Reaction score
i tried and no go!
I had the same result, it would attempt to turn on for a second then turn off. After sleuthing through the Settings Storage -> Settings.db -> Settings database, I found an entry that I did not touch in GB. Line 190 on my version of ICS has wifi_ap_max_connected_devices set to 0. When I changed it to 1, I now have wifi tether in ICS. Maybe it was supposed to be that way in GB, but it worked for me before without changing this value.

OP
I

iveman89

Reaction score
Where did you hear that, from what I understand, they are not locking out devices that is just a rumor started by someone who missunderstood a press release of Verizon's, what Verizon ment was that when the Family Data Share Plans roll out (Which will be before the offical OTA ICS build release), Verizon is doing away with the tether fee, and allowing us to go ahead and tether our phones. They believe that enough people will upgrade their phones to give enough play room on server load due to them being moved to tiered data, to accomodate those who want to tether, not to mention the FCC is looking at leaning against Verizon in their dicision of blocking tethering being a violation of the C-Block agreement, as they have done so resently on similar issues with other companies.

*Edit* From what I hear you don't have to do the Entitlement Check SQL Edit, from what I understand ICS doesn't use that value in it's database, it is there, but it doesn't use it.

I was trying to tether a verizon nexus to a galaxy tab and it wouldn't let. I was able to use my bionic. I started to look this up on the internet and came across a few forums of people trying to tether bluetooth and being redirected. They were speculating verizon was blocking them out.

If what you are saying about them removing the block, that would be awesome, but it should have been this way from the beginning.

just so people know foxfi does work

tlarseth

Reaction score
I was trying to tether a verizon nexus to a galaxy tab and it wouldn't let. I was able to use my bionic. I started to look this up on the internet and came across a few forums of people trying to tether bluetooth and being redirected. They were speculating verizon was blocking them out.

If what you are saying about them removing the block, that would be awesome, but it should have been this way from the beginning.

just so people know foxfi does work

FCC just ruled that blocking tethering apps from the market is in violation of the C-Block agreement. I also now know you DO have to do the entitlement check. I am on the 232 ICS leak, and I am able to tether, tested with an Ipad, Laptop, Xbox, and a few other devices with no redirect. I did the entitlement check and use the official mobile hotspot app.