Ics soak test has begun!!!!!!!!

lgalcarte

Reaction score
I was one that received the emails about being part of the soak test. I just couldn't do without the dependability I have had with my phone this past week so I didn't go back to 905. I'm running 232 with Redhead (I think?) and really like it. Had in-laws in town for a family wedding the last few days and just now have some time to mess with 246. I've read every post on this thread and think I'm ready. For two hours, I couldn't access the links to HoB on droidrzr because I was supposed to get some confirmation email for registering before I could access download links, but it never came. I just tried it again and even though I didn't get the email, it is letting me login and I downloaded all of the files I need. Now, I need to figure out how to uninstall Safestrap. I went in and did backups of both my sd card and phone, although I'm not sure how to access them anyway. When I disabled the safe menu and rebooted my phone, I lost everything anyway. I though the whole point of having Safestrap was that you could go back and forth between the regular and ROM-ed versions of the phone? That's why I didn't mess with it earlier this week. I was afraid it was going to take hours, which it appears it will, to get the phone back to use-able condition.

So, I'm off to figure out how to un-install Safestrap and will keep updating this post just so others (and I) can see how long it takes to do this.

I already have two hours in reading all of the posts, including HoB FAQs, and downloading all of the files I am supposed to have.

1:57PM: Can't figure out how to delete the program. There is no app that I can find to uninstall or delete although when the phone boots it has the Safestrap menu so it's there somewhere! I am in the process of moving the safestrap folders from the internal storage and sd card to my computer and then I will delete them and see if that does it.

2:06PM: Deleted all folders and rebooted. Still had Safestrap menu so hit menu button to get into menu. Was an option to disable Safestrap, selected that and rebooted. GONE!! Now, I'm ready to go from 232 to 246 using HoB...

3:11PM: Installed all necessary files for HoB and started program. Everything was fine until I got to like the second step where it said it was optional but recommended, checking the MD5?, it turned all red and said it had failed and told me to manually transfer the 246 file to my phone. So I went to do that and it was actually already there. Just to be safe, I deleted the one already on there and transferred it. Went back into HoB, and it did the exact same thing. Started it again and skipped that step this time. Everything seems to be going OK. I'm at the point right now where it is manually installing the 246 on my phone, and I just wiped cache to reboot.

3:25PM: SUCCESS!! I'm on 246 and successfully rooted. This was the easiest upgrade I've ever done. THANKS TO HoB FOR MAKING THIS SOOOO EASY EVEN I COULD DO IT!! Now to check out how things are running and get it all set up the way I like... Whew! Good thing I actually have all day today to do this!! dancedroid

Last edited:

islandsapart

Reaction score
If your tired of waiting for the ota. Just use sam's hob. I used it now its back on ics. :)just do him a big favor and read read read read the directions.....

grgguy

Reaction score
I was one that received the emails about being part of the soak test. I just couldn't do without the dependability I have had with my phone this past week so I didn't go back to 905. I'm running 232 with Redhead (I think?) and really like it. Had in-laws in town for a family wedding the last few days and just now have some time to mess with 246. I've read every post on this thread and think I'm ready. For two hours, I couldn't access the links to HoB on droidrzr because I was supposed to get some confirmation email for registering before I could access download links, but it never came. I just tried it again and even though I didn't get the email, it is letting me login and I downloaded all of the files I need. Now, I need to figure out how to uninstall Safestrap. I went in and did backups of both my sd card and phone, although I'm not sure how to access them anyway. When I disabled the safe menu and rebooted my phone, I lost everything anyway. I though the whole point of having Safestrap was that you could go back and forth between the regular and ROM-ed versions of the phone? That's why I didn't mess with it earlier this week. I was afraid it was going to take hours, which it appears it will, to get the phone back to use-able condition.

So, I'm off to figure out how to un-install Safestrap and will keep updating this post just so others (and I) can see how long it takes to do this.

I already have two hours in reading all of the posts, including HoB FAQs, and downloading all of the files I am supposed to have.

Can't figure out how to delete the program. There is no app that I can find to uninstall or delete although when the phone boots it has the Safestrap menu so it's there somewhere! I am in the process of moving the safestrap folders from the internal storage and sd card to my computer and then I will delete them and see if that does it.

I believe to remove safe strap all you need to do is uninstall the app.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It's not technically necessary to remove the safestrap app. As long as you shut down on the unsafe partition, things will be fine. However, if you're using SS2 or earlier, note that I do reset the preinstall partition which is where your rom is stored. SS3 does not use the preinstall partition to store the roms so that's much safer and more compatible with the HoB.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
It's not technically necessary to remove the safestrap app. As long as you shut down on the unsafe partition, things will be fine. However, if you're using SS2 or earlier, note that I do reset the preinstall partition which is where your rom is stored. SS3 does not use the preinstall partition to store the roms so that's much safer and more compatible with the HoB.

Hey same u did add my 886 radio option in the HoB it would be a good idea cuz of that nasty LTE failure a guy was getting

Sent from my 2.106 ghz quadrant score 5680 .247 Droid Bionic using Droid Forums

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hey same u did add my 886 radio option in the HoB it would be a good idea cuz of that nasty LTE failure a guy was getting

I didn't but it's a good idea. I've already updated the HoB twice today (8.3 being the latest to remove webtop flashing completely and add a separate option for it) so it won't be today,but, next update I'll do so.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
I didn't but it's a good idea. I've already updated the HoB twice today (8.3 being the latest to remove webtop flashing completely and add a separate option for it) so it won't be today,but, next update I'll do so.

Lol I wasn't expecting u to do it now just a reminder but I will tell u now when the JB leak comes out u will need that radio option cuz after applying so many leaks the radio can be corrupted an will need to be wiped an returned to factory defaults using the 886 radio

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Lol I wasn't expecting u to do it now just a reminder but I will tell u now when the JB leak comes out u will need that radio option cuz after applying so many leaks the radio can be corrupted an will need to be wiped an returned to factory defaults using the 886 radio

I'll stick it on the utility menu as an option. I may have to move things around and redesign the menus a bit. I've got it rather inconsistent now but at least I'm adding more functionality.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
I'll stick it on the utility menu as an option. I may have to move things around and redesign the menus a bit. I've got it rather inconsistent now but at least I'm adding more functionality.

Label it as an emergency option an create a separate menu for emergencies only u know

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I added it to the utility menu. That one has repair webtop and repair radio. I can't put the repair ap fastboot option there because that's dependent on the version they have installed. But I've made things more consistent. I'll release 8.4 in a few minutes.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
SamuriHL said:
I added it to the utility menu. That one has repair webtop and repair radio. I can't put the repair ap fastboot option there because that's dependent on the version they have installed. But I've made things more consistent. I'll release 8.4 in a few minutes.

Nice I'll get u my DEV fxz once the ICS fxz comes out so u can hope to a from GB an ICS

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Sam,

Looks like I found another one for your FAQ. My Hob attempt only worked part way, as my phone was really stuck on the media update option. I had cleared my EXT SD card of media. But, it is a newer 64Gig card. I did read in some of the 64 Gig card info that ICS might have issues. I went ahead and pulled my battery knowing I would get some level of bork. Sure enough when I tried the 64G card in my laptop it came up as corrupt. It worked fine through the update (HOB) as I do have ICS on the phone, but my media is all borked. I have all of my apps so I have a goofed install. I'll go ahead and redo my installation, and will probably wipe everything. I went ahead and put the update zip file on a good 32 when I rebooted the phone. As I said, I have my apps and have root.

I do not have absolute proof the 64G card was the error, but with no media on the card, and spinning for several hours, methinks so. I'll get the phone fixed with the 32G installed, then decide what to do with the 64.

Thanks,

Craig

Edit: The reinstall of 246 did not work until I did a complete wipe. So the start from scratch sorta defeated the primary purpose of the HOB, but it did work. And I kinda like the idea of a clean install. It was a snap to reroot. And I had a little surprise waiting for me. 4G !!!!!!! I am in a dinky little town and never saw 4G on GB. I have no evidence that it was ICS other than now having it. Pretty tickled pink here.

Last edited:

Hikenit

Reaction score
Hey Sam and Sarge, what are your thoughts on this. [video=youtube;z8RTBFeMdso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RTBFeMdso&feature=youtu.be[/video]

House Of Bionic's. 246 ICS. Read ALL about it!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
What about it? That's a ridiculously old video and only applies to 232 or lower. And?