ICS Root Tool

Kabilos

Reaction score
Does this new root have the ability to remove the root checker that Moto has sneaked into the boot loader?

Right now my phone when checking the boot loader says 1/1

Not sure if this has been addressed or if were just saying screw it and dealing with it.

/regards :)

jetguat

Reaction score
Actually the ICS tool doesn't have a unroot option. I just tested the unroot that was used on GB and it worked! I will be updating the ICS tool in the next day or two to include this.

Is the ICS tool you refer the one in your signature? is that something you install have you root a phone?
I want to root my phone to allow titanium backup to run, after which I plan to do a factory reset to get a clean slate.
I want to restore some apps, then I'm thinking I want to unroot so I can receive future OTA updates. I read post about flashing the stock
ROM back on, but that defeats my purpose of wanting to backup/restore and also receive future OTA updates. I dont have plans to use
any custom ROMs.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You can use the tool to root. I would not uninstall any system apps, just freeze. Then you can get any ota's without any problems. There are roms out there that are based on stock with the bloat stuff removed, if you want the stock experience with some of the junk out.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

jetguat

Reaction score
You can use the tool to root. I would not uninstall any system apps, just freeze. Then you can get any ota's without any problems. There are roms out there that are based on stock with the bloat stuff removed, if you want the stock experience with some of the junk out.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

Duh! I just realized that this was within the Droid 4 forum. Does this tool work on the Droid Bionic? or am I out of luck.

SupperDroid

Reaction score
OK, so if I do this will I be able to get JB when and if it comes out on OTA? Sorry if it has been asked but I don't want to screw up and not get JB.

lemmony

Reaction score
you are having 1 of 2 issues.

1st you are in mass storage mode and need to switch.
2nd nd (as was the issue i had) you are using a charging cable to connect to your computer that is not allowing for data transfer. Use a diffrent cable to connect and try it if you have already confirmed you are not in mass storage. :)

[*]
[*] Motorola Razr ICS Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

This is as far as mine gets, it sits here for 30 or so minutes before I get iritated and unplug the usb cable. Has anyone who had the OTA upgrade to 4.0.4 yesterday, managed to get this root utility to work?

slobeachgirl

Reaction score
I have droidbionic that was rooted gingerbread. i put it back to factory and did OTA to ICS. Now i am trying to root again. I have tried everyone's suggestions. I have latest drivers, my phone is in USB charge only. MTP is checked. I keep getting "adb is not recognized as internal or external command. I have checked and adb> moto adb composite is listed in the hardware drivers. I am using the original usb cable that the phone came with. What else should I do? Please tell me in english not tech.Thanks

Last edited:

Rocky

Reaction score
Gosh! After hours of trying to restore and re-root my D4, this thread became the cherry on the pie (since I couldn't root with another one-click method).

Thanks once more, Orangechoochoo! :icon_ banana:

firefightin5-0

Reaction score
Thanks alot for this root app. I spent an easy five hours yesterday searching, downloading and trying to run various roots for the Droid 4 running 4.0.4. I my specific system version is 6.16.217.XT894.Verizon.en.US. I must have tried installing it from four sources not including this one, at least twice each with different variables. I would like to note most other root apps are telling you to have it in USB debugging, which I did in all cases, however they were saying camera mode (PTP) while yours says media mode (MTP). I could not get any of the camera mode oriented roots to work, but this one worked right the first time if you follow the instructions and be sure to have it in media mode (MTP). This solution is not very easy to get to for some reason, but apparently it is here. I got the Droid 4 much later than the original release date, so it came with Android 4.0.4 which must not have been the way it was for most phones purchased from Verizon. However, as of today being January 13, 2013 it worked just fine. Thanks.

After hearing that the ICS OTA is being pushed there will be a lot of people looking to root ICS. I know we have an awesome Droid4 Utility by Jsnweitzel that does everything but these people who are getting the OTA really only want to use the root function. So here is the link to the root tool created by the same gent who made Motofail for gingerbread.

1. Download the root app here: http://t.co/mbIAmwH8

2. Make sure you have the latest motorola drivers: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

3. Connect the phone to the computer using the USB cord.

4. Unzip razrs_edge_windows.zip

5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging on (setting > developer options > USB debugging)

6. Also make sure you're on MTP mode, not mass storage.

7. Open the razrs_edge_windows folder, navigate to "run", and press it.

8. Keep the phone connected to the computer until it's finished. It shouldn't take longer than a couple minutes.

NOTE: I haven't personally used this tool, so if it went through successfully and you still don't have root then go to the Market and download Superuser and Busybox.

INSTALLING A ROM

Now that you're rooted you may want to try installing a ROM. Jsnweitzel will be updating his Droid4 utility which has the option to root and install Safestrap. In the meantime, here are the instructions How-To Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes on how to install Safestrap and the download for Safestrap 2.0 http://bit.ly/JDodBs

The instructions explain what Safestrap is, how to install it, and how to install a ROM. I highly suggest reading it and understanding it. As far as ROMs, Eclipse has been the most stable and is my personal favorite http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/219332-rom-port-eclipse-ics-1-2-a.html If you want to try other ROMs there is CM9 and AOKP which can be found in the ROM thread Droid 4 ROMS Personally, I am waiting for CM10 which is supposed to have Jellybean attributes, but that ROM is still being worked on.

kanuck

Reaction score
Works!

Very glad to have found this thread after a morning of failed roots. Just got my new-to-me Droid 4 running 6.16.217.xt894.verizon.en.us .

As stated in the previous comment, others specify camera mode and crashed in reboots... yours worked on the first try in MTP.

THANK YOU! dancedroid

Anomalyzero

Reaction score
For anyone having trouble with the root, (can't find device, hanging at reboot, Hanging in general, etc.) you have to have the motohelper software installed. I regarded it as more Moto bloatware and didn't have it.

snowman

Reaction score
not the software but yes on the latest drivers it offers

Mr_Wolf

Reaction score
Hi!
I used the tool to root my Droid 4, but very often the applications won't start, there's only a blank screen.
I have to reboot the phone even several times to start them.
Anyone is having the same issue?

bwild97

Reaction score
Achieved ROOT on my Droid 4 using this tool!! worked flawlessly, Thank you all!!