ICS Root Tool

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
After hearing that the ICS OTA is being pushed there will be a lot of people looking to root ICS. I know we have an awesome Droid4 Utility by Jsnweitzel that does everything but these people who are getting the OTA really only want to use the root function. So here is the link to the root tool created by the same gent who made Motofail for gingerbread.

1. Download the root app here: http://t.co/mbIAmwH8

2. Make sure you have the latest motorola drivers: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

3. Connect the phone to the computer using the USB cord.

4. Unzip razrs_edge_windows.zip

5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging on (setting > developer options > USB debugging)

6. Also make sure you're on MTP mode, not mass storage.

7. Open the razrs_edge_windows folder, navigate to "run", and press it.

8. Keep the phone connected to the computer until it's finished. It shouldn't take longer than a couple minutes.

NOTE: I haven't personally used this tool, so if it went through successfully and you still don't have root then go to the Market and download Superuser and Busybox.

INSTALLING A ROM

Now that you're rooted you may want to try installing a ROM. Jsnweitzel will be updating his Droid4 utility which has the option to root and install Safestrap. In the meantime, here are the instructions How-To Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes on how to install Safestrap and the download for Safestrap 2.0 http://bit.ly/JDodBs

The instructions explain what Safestrap is, how to install it, and how to install a ROM. I highly suggest reading it and understanding it. As far as ROMs, Eclipse has been the most stable and is my personal favorite http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-4-roms/219332-rom-port-eclipse-ics-1-2-a.html If you want to try other ROMs there is CM9 and AOKP which can be found in the ROM thread Droid 4 ROMS Personally, I am waiting for CM10 which is supposed to have Jellybean attributes, but that ROM is still being worked on.

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
stickied for now :)

Chiledog159

Reaction score
So will this app/zip root my phone if it is on 6.16.217? Or is it only if you receive the OTA update?
Thanks for your help!

OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
217 and the OTA are the same so it will work on both. Generally, any device with ICS can be rooted with this exploit.

Chiledog159

Reaction score
have u tested it out to test for functionality/bugs? Please let me know as I'd like to do this as soon as possible if it is working correctly. Thanks again!

OP
orangechoochoo

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
If it doesn't work then it just doesn't work. If you get root then you have root and all functionality, no bugs involved :)

Kabilos

Reaction score
ICS Root Utility not working

[*]
[*] Motorola Razr ICS Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

This is as far as mine gets, it sits here for 30 or so minutes before I get iritated and unplug the usb cable. Has anyone who had the OTA upgrade to 4.0.4 yesterday, managed to get this root utility to work?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
This is the same root method in the ICS only tool in my signature and have been using it fine for awhile. You're probably having a driver issue or you're in usb mass storage mode. Be sure you're in MTP mode and if that doesn't work try updating the drivers. I did hear that some users had to download motocast and then new drivers were installed by it.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It probably work in camera mode too but not the mass storage. Also I uploaded a lite version of the tool.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Kabilos

Reaction score
This is the same root method in the ICS only tool in my signature and have been using it fine for awhile. You're probably having a driver issue or you're in usb mass storage mode. Be sure you're in MTP mode and if that doesn't work try updating the drivers. I did hear that some users had to download motocast and then new drivers were installed by it.

Must have been something with my desktop becuase I was able to get it to run after installing the new drivers on my laptop. Launched the batch and then it said rebooting and rebooted my phone. At the time of writing this, that is where I am.

4 reboots later, root check says fully rooted ;)

Thanks for the insight. Next time I will avoid my work desktop :hail:

slikno420

Reaction score
Just did this after using the .217 fastboot files, worked the first time, also did the safestrap recovery. Worked fine with no glitches, doing a backup of non-safe system now. Thanks all :)

cheez

Reaction score
Having the same problem that Kabilos had. In my case it's because I can't get ADB interface to show up in device manager when the Droid is plugged in. I did install the latest drivers from the link provided, and I get Motorola USB Networking and Motorola USB Composite Device to show, but no ADB.
Debugging is on (even toggled it a few times to check) and I've tried it in both camera and MTP. Annoyingly, if I put the phone in bootloader, then Motorola Single ADB Interface pops up in Device manager just fine. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no joy.
Does anyone have any idea how I can get ADB to stick? I'm tearing my hair out w/o root, and I leave on a lengthy business trip this weekend besides. :-(
PC is Win 7 x64. Huge thanks in advance for any help you can give me :biggrin:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Try downloading motocast. When I did it installed additional drivers. Also adb has nothing to do with fastboot.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2