ICS Leak Question

FrankieZee

Reaction score
I've been reading a few of the ics leak threads and I'm starting to rethink my position on waiting for the official release. However, as was the case back with the 902 update, I'm concerned about staying on the OTA path. Luckily, in my case I was able to load a leaked 902 build and still received the official 905 OTA.

Does anyone know if this might still be the case.

I'm not rooted and not quite ready to take that plunge yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hiker5208

Reaction score
FrankieZee said:
I've been reading a few of the ics leak threads and I'm starting to rethink my position on waiting for the official release. However, as was the case back with the 902 update, I'm concerned about staying on the OTA path. Luckily, in my case I was able to load a leaked 902 build and still received the official 905 OTA.

I am beginning to reconsider myself here. I have not been too interested but the new webtop is making me think about it. I am going to follow this thread with interest.

bbucks36

Reaction score
from what i understand you do not need to be rooted.. just download the ics leak to your sd card .. then go to moto-fast boot by hold volume keys and power same time .. then scroll down with volume key - to recovery then volume up + key to initiate..once in there volume key down - too install thru sd card and power key to initiate. then boom ics...but to get back to the OTA update you need to RSD lite back using a FXZ file. no root necessary in any process. hope that wasnt to confusing :blink:

Last edited:

bbucks36

Reaction score
but with all the leaks coming out and there getting pretty close to final release. i wouldnt bother unless you the few like myself that feel confident in do such steps.. wait for the final release it will be soon. only real reason i did this was to stop the data drops i was getting with the OTA .905. all the leaks ive installed
(3 in total) up to .229 ics i have not had 1 data drop.

OP
F

FrankieZee

Reaction score
I'm familiar with these steps from when I installed the 902 leak, so I'm not opposed to doing it myself. I'm more worried about being thrown off the OTA path.

Of course, if we're really that close, I'm sure I can hold off. But reading some of these threads has me chomping at the bit :D

bbucks36

Reaction score
I'm familiar with these steps from when I installed the 902 leak, so I'm not opposed to doing it myself. I'm more worried about being thrown off the OTA path.

Of course, if we're really that close, I'm sure I can hold off. But reading some of these threads has me chomping at the bit :D

with all the ways to go back to .902 its near impossible to brick the bionic..aside from dropping it in water...rsd lite back to OTA path is the easiest way. as for ICS it is almost complete in my opinion . the leaks are getting fine tuned.. the leaks themselves are smooth. like i said in my earlier reply main reason =no data drops :biggrin:

OP
F

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Right. I've actually experienced more data drops in the last couple hours than I think I did way back before 902. Pretty frustrating, I'm actually switching between 3 and 4g now. It can't seem to decide what it wants to do.

However, that's all leaving my actual question unanswered: will I be on or off the OTA path if I flash the latest "official leak?"

bamafan39

Reaction score
Right. I've actually experienced more data drops in the last couple hours than I think I did way back before 902. Pretty frustrating, I'm actually switching between 3 and 4g now. It can't seem to decide what it wants to do.

However, that's all leaving my actual question unanswered: will I be on or off the OTA path if I flash the latest "official leak?"

off...but you can get back on easily!

OP
F

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Thanks! I may end up waiting for at least another few weeks anyway then. Getting married next weekend and then honeymoon overseas so no time to really play with it and then the phone will be almost worthless outside the US. At least according to Verizon.

unbesorgt

Reaction score

Technically it will take you off the OTA path. However, SamuriHL has developed a very clever script that allows you to flash back to .902 and install newer updates (see this thread for instructions). I've used it twice so far, to go from the .2233 leak to the .230 leak, and then to the .232 leak, and it worked flawlessly both times. In theory, when the official OTA is released, after someone posts the update file we should be able to flash it using the same method without data loss. There are no guarantees of course, but I'm enjoying ICS and Webtop 3.0 so much that for me, it's definitely worth the risk of having to FXZ back to .902 and lose data (worst case scenario). I'm also rooted and have all my apps/data backed up with Titanium Backup, so even in that scenario I should be able to restore them. Highly recommended.

OP
F

FrankieZee

Reaction score
So I'm confused. Even if we're on 905 OTA, we would have to FXZ back to 902?

Or is that only if we end up off the OTA path and want to get back on it after the official release?

unbesorgt

Reaction score
So I'm confused. Even if we're on 905 OTA, we would have to FXZ back to 902?

Or is that only if we end up off the OTA path and want to get back on it after the official release?

Version .905 is an official release so naturally it's on the OTA path. You asked if installing one of the ICS leaks would take you off the OTA path, and the answer I was trying to convey above is yes, installing an ICS leak will take you off the path, but there is a way to get back on it without losing data (SamuriHL's script). Failing that, you can always FXZ back to .902 and get back on the path that way, but you will lose data (although there may be a way around that as well, by modifying a certain XML file).

The reason we have to flash back to .902 in these cases is because there is no .905 FXZ file as of yet.

OP
F

FrankieZee

Reaction score
Ahh.. Okay thank you.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
Does anyone have any threads or info on what I need to root on ICS, razrs edge or whatever but that's all I know. Thanks.