ICS Battery life

cleave

Reaction score
androidify said:
Oh and use the Cdma auto it seems to work better than CD a only

"CDMA only" takes away my 3g and replaces it with 1x. However it still turns blue and data still works. Not really sure what the 1x means as opposed to 3g?

jlewis74

Reaction score
I was only on GB for about 2 days so I dont have a base line to go by but since being on ICS I am getting 2-3 days battery life. I am running stock ICS rooted with all the junk frozen.

Screenshot_2012-06-26-18-11-23.png

androidify

Reaction score
cleave said:
Isn't this the same thing as doing *#*#4636#*#* then selecting "cdma auto (prl)" ?

Yes it is essentially the same but in my case is rather open an app then have to got to dialer every time oh late on/ off also has more radio settings

altjx

Reaction score
Maybe bloat ware is running in the background for me? For 2 days, how much screen time did you have on your phone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

cleave

Reaction score
It's this normal for screen time?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120704_104208.png
    ForumRunner_20120704_104208.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 582

altjx

Reaction score
17 minutes screen time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1341431299581.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1341431299581.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 472

Cinoib

Reaction score
Lacluster battery life after ICS update...

I upgraded to ICS Sunday (a few days ago). On Monday, I hit 50% shortly after noon. In all honesty, I'd been hitting it all morning long since 5 am. So I kind of expected that. What I was surprised about was that on Tuesday (well after the honney moon) I was at 50% at about 2 or 3 pm. The honney moon was still on but not so much as it was Monday. Now, here Wednesday July 4, I'm at like 70% by noon.

I changed a few things. I allowed the phone to use screen saver options in the display set up.

I think that ICS is causing the hand set to use more battery then Gingerbread did. But it really seems to have much to do with the display and less to do with other variables. I get pretty strong 4g at my home. I have chosen to stay off wifi all day to kind of monitor it's use.

I haven't been hitting it nearly as much today as I did Monday and Tuesday (had a bunch of yard work to get done...). But the one thing I notice is that screen use really eats the battery alive.

So my suggestion is that monitor your screen settings and try to get by with a little (or a lot...) dimmer screen. The switching between 4 and 3g will no doubt have some performance effect but not near that that the screen brightness does.

I still consider the Motorola the absolute best phone available right now. And in a few weeks, we will no doubt see some upgrades that reign in the battery usage. So let's just hang in there and see what the folks at Moto do going forward.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Guys and gals, I am going to suggest that everyone run a Meter training. Charge the phone with Power Off to 100% (press and hold Power, then select "Power off" from the menu, then once powered off, plug in charger and allow to charge for 3 hours if it's a RAZR, 5.5 hours if it's a RAZR MAXX), then use to 15%, then charge to 100% with Power Off again. When your phone upgraded there is the very good possibility that the meter's flags were reset and they no longer represent the actual battery condition and capacity.

In other words, the battery may not be anywhere near depleted when the meter is saying it is, and so it "appears" that it's using more power than it is. I did a training right after install and I've seen better than 24 hour days. Most days I am getting through the entire day with between 40% and 60% remaining when I plug it at bedtime. That last one was nearly 2 days with a couple boost charges during that time. It was 25 hours 9 minutes before the first short boost where it hit 30%, and close to 36 hours with just those two short boost charges after when it finished up at 30% again.

Also interesting to note, the June 30 and July 1 battery voltages are seen as dropping WHILE on charge (the green parts), that proves what I have been telling everyone about how charging STOPS once it hits 100% and then waits. Those two days, I did power-on charges, where the previous 2 were power-off charges, so once it was charged on June 30 and July 1, the phone began to deplete the power (the red parts) and hadn't yet hit 90% when I removed it from charge.

See charts below:

60e35213-ae7a-ce2a.jpg

60e35213-b03c-22b8.jpg

William_04_x

Reaction score
What's the app you're using in the screenshot?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, pretty cool, huh? Also doesn't eat battery power like some other tools.

Battery Monitor Widget by FSINIB.

60e35213-b4a4-3181.jpg

60e35213-b963-07ab.jpg

60e35213-b4ce-847e.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Trash Can

Reaction score
Note, it's just as important to discharge to 15% ("Low battery" warning pop-up) as it is to charge to 100% with power off during this training.

Guys and gals, I am going to suggest that everyone run a Meter training. Charge the phone with Power Off to 100% (press and hold Power, then select "Power off" from the menu, then once powered off, plug in charger and allow to charge for 3 hours if it's a RAZR, 5.5 hours if it's a RAZR MAXX), then use to 15%, then charge to 100% with Power Off again. When your phone upgraded there is the very good possibility that the meter's flags were reset and they no longer represent the actual battery condition and capacity.

Professor, do you know if something changed between GB and ICS? I just trained my meter for the first time since I updated to ICS. I was fully expecting to get the pop-up warning at 15%, but it didn't happen until the phone was reading 10%. FWIW, I was referencing the stock battery meter, not something that shows 1% increments.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Professor, do you know if something changed between GB and ICS? I just trained my meter for the first time since I updated to ICS. I was fully expecting to get the pop-up warning at 15%, but it didn't happen until the phone was reading 10%. FWIW, I was referencing the stock battery meter, not something that shows 1% increments.

I have heard mixed reports, some said 10%, others say it's still 15%. I had planned to run mine down a couple days ago to see but forgot and plugged it in at night. Perhaps I can give it a go tonight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MaxxHeadroom

Reaction score
Screenshot_2012-07-04-19-10-07.png

I'm getting excellent battery time. I did do a factory reset after 2 days of the ics update. I was not having any major problems with battery life before the factory reset however I do believe it has gotten better since I did it. I am seeing on the average of getting about 3-5 more hours on the battery life after the fdr. I have been moderately using it today some Facebook and phone calls with quite a bit of texting. Not as heavily as the 1st two days after the update as I was exploring.

altjx

Reaction score
View attachment 52296

I'm getting excellent battery time. I did do a factory reset after 2 days of the ics update. I was not having any major problems with battery life before the factory reset however I do believe it has gotten better since I did it. I am seeing on the average of getting about 3-5 more hours on the battery life after the fdr. I have been moderately using it today some Facebook and phone calls with quite a bit of texting. Not as heavily as the 1st two days after the update as I was exploring.

a6f9cd6a-f07b-d3d1.jpg

I find out battery usage number differences to be very interesting. :(

Btw, that's 2hrs 10 mins of screen time. 50%!!!!!!!!!!! The hell am I missing guys??