ICS 235 and Smart Actions Problem

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I updated to the ICS 235 leak and it has smart actions. I loaded one of the smart action samples labeled "Battery Extender." When it is disabled, I can turn off my screen and turn it back on as I need to with no problems. When Battery extender is enabled and I turn off my screen then back on, a warning pops up that I am over my data limit and that extra charges may be applied even though I have unlimited data. Data is turn off and I cannot get data back on until I re-boot the phone. Anybody else having problems with Smart Actions?

linuxgator

Reaction score
It can work great for certain actions. Personally, I have it set to start up a music player app and turn on GPS when I put my phone in the vehicle navigation dock. As far as the battery saving thing goes, it does have some issues on the standard setting. For example, it recommends setting brightness to 25% while low on battery, however in many circumstances with autobrightness, you may actually be at a lower brightness setting.

OP
Mike.757

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to show what I am experiencing. The first pic shows the rule, the second shows that is is active. The third shows That I do not have any limit set. It was not tripped before or after. The last shows the message that I get telling me that I am over my limit on my unlimited data. I don't know if it is because a problem with SA, with my ICS leak 235 or a combination. I also notice that my battery is not as good with it and that was the reason I tried it.

View attachment 53801

View attachment 53802

View attachment 53803

View attachment 53804

Last edited:

linuxgator

Reaction score
It looks as though you have Juice Defender installed as well, is it possible that there is some sort of conflict going on with that?

I loaded up the Battery Extender smart action, and could not replicate the error you're getting. I'm also on .235.

Last edited:
OP
Mike.757

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I forgot to disable it this time but it does the same thing when it is disabled.

linuxgator

Reaction score
Hmm, that's odd. Do you have data roaming enabled? I've heard of weird error messages like that if it's disabled.

greeneink

Reaction score
I love smart actions. I use 2 currently.
1. When I arrive at home, location triggers wi-fi to turn on.
2. At 9 o'clock my sound and vibrate turns off so I dont get interrupted for the rest of the night. It also has VIP callers so I can allow my children to ring through, not the mother-in-law ;)

OP
Mike.757

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried it with data roaming enabled and got the same result. I wonder if it is a 235 issue.

Hmm, that's odd. Do you have data roaming enabled? I've heard of weird error messages like that if it's disabled.

skidoo

Reaction score
I tried to replicate the problem too. Worked fine.

My guess it's that it's some sort of conflict with Juice Defender. Whether it's "disabled" or not, it's still installed, and could be hooking some important intents or something.

___
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

linuxgator

Reaction score
Maybe try changing your Data Usage Cycle dates to something like 2 days ago until the same day next month. I suspect it might have something to do with the amount of data that you've used. Even though you have an unlimited data account, they still do throttling, and there may be something written into the SA program code that assumes you've got a limited account.

OP
Mike.757

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
skidoo said:
I tried to replicate the problem too. Worked fine.

My guess it's that it's some sort of conflict with Juice Defender. Whether it's "disabled" or not, it's still installed, and could be hooking some important intents or something.

___
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

Skidoo, you were right! I uninstalled Juice Defender and SA its working add advertised. Now to choose which one to use...

Edit: i was pre-mature in my declaration of victory. I tried it when I was plugged in. One of the triggers is being unplugged. So, with Juice Defender uninstalled, SA still kills data for me on 235.

Last edited:

Gorlock

Reaction score
Smart actions just sucks. Period.

I set up several smart actions to disable WiFi and GPS based on time periods, battery level, and movement. My WiFi would turn off or would refuse to turn on, the text of the smart actions became garbled, and WiFi would not connect properly even after I deleted the smart actions. I had to wipe and reset my phone. Everything works fine now. There is some buggy-ness to them.