I want to buy a Droid.

Eric8

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a longtime Iphone user who wants to jump ship to Droid.

I currently have an iphone4 which i've had since the first day they were available on verizon. And now I want to switch sides.

I would like in a droid.

1. Long Battery Life. I talk atleast 6 hours a day and my iphone can't handle it.

2. Ergonomics. I'd like a 4" screen Minimum, Damage resistant, Also if possible tactile not touch homekeys.

3. Flash compatibility. The main reason I want a droid. I'm sick of having half the internet not available to me, and I can't carry my netbook everywhere. I need a phone that will run flash well.

I also have a few questions.

A. How's the app store? I spent annually 200$ on my iphone(apps and itunes combined). I'd be willing to re buy most if not all my current subscriptions, songs, and games.

B. I've only used a droid once or twice before. And what really detracted me from it was the UI. It felt so patched together and ugly. Are there any Droids with a UI like the iphone?

C. How restrictive is google? Really? I work as a freelancer and apple's restrictiveness has really killed my means of business.

D. What about windows phone? Should I even consider it?

Lastly. I am impartial to Microsoft/Google/Apple. I own a self built Gaming PC, a Ubuntu Netbook, an Imac(for Final Cut Pro), a 2nd Gen MBA 13", an Ipad2, and several other devices from several other manufacturers. So please don't assume I am trying to instigate a fight.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i would recommend you go to verizon and play with , nexus, rezound ,razr maxx. the nexus and rezound buy the extended battery for it.

The app store has improved a lot. you will find a app to go with most of them avail on the iphone.

ICS (UI) has improved a lot smooth as glass. there is a learning curve give it a couple of weeks

windows phones i would look into as well (i might) dont get the windows mobile but the full windows phone . i think windows 8 will get a lot of android and apple users .

above all pick a phone u like. play with them . if needed use the 14day return policy at the store.

also welcome to the forums

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
Justin is right on. The best battery life is the razr Maxx. I had the iPhone 4s and went to the Maxx. I agree, way too many restrictions

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Xander Crews

Reaction score
i would recommend you go to verizon and play with , nexus, rezound ,razr maxx. the nexus and rezound buy the extended battery for it.

The app store has improved a lot. you will find a app to go with most of them avail on the iphone.

ICS (UI) has improved a lot smooth as glass. there is a learning curve give it a couple of weeks

windows phones i would look into as well (i might) dont get the windows mobile but the full windows phone . i think windows 8 will get a lot of android and apple users .

above all pick a phone u like. play with them . if needed use the 14day return policy at the store.

also welcome to the forums

The Rezound and Razr Maxx are still on Gingerbread.
The Nexus is on Ice Cream Sandwich, but is going to Jellybean in mid-July...that's pretty cool. And if you think ICS is smooth, I saw the demo of Jellybean today and it's looks even better.
Rezound should be getting Ice Cream Sandwich any day now, and Maxx shouldn't be too far behind.

The Rezound has a couple different extended batteries. HTC offers one that's 2750mah ($30 at Verizon.com). And there is one from QCell that is like 3850mah. It's on Amazon for $20. Crazy. The extended batteries do add some thickness to the phone...so keep that in mind if that bothers you...but I hear with the Rezound, if you are a power user, you need the extended battery. I just bought the Rezound...it is due to show up today, and I bought the extended.
I've seen extended batteries for the Nexus too...haven't really looked into them though.

The Razr Maxx is supposed to have up to 21.5 hours of talk time on it's stock 3300mah battery. That's really impressive. No need for an extended battery with the Maxx.

verizonwireless.com, in the shop, you can compare up to 4 phones side by side with all of the specs right there next to each other. I printed that out and took it to the Verizon store when I went to play with the phones.

I love the Google Play store. Lots of good stuff in there...but take a look and browse around for yourself.
You don't have to own an Android phone to check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps?hl=en
J
ust about anything you can find in the Apple App Store, you can find in Google Play. And if you can't find it, you can probably get something very, very close.

Good luck...and welcome aboard!
Make sure you let us know what you end up choosing.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Rezound and Razr Maxx are still on Gingerbread.
The Nexus is on Ice Cream Sandwich, but is going to Jellybean in mid-July...that's pretty cool. And if you think ICS is smooth, I saw the demo of Jellybean today and it's looks even better.
Rezound should be getting Ice Cream Sandwich any day now, and Maxx shouldn't be too far behind.

The Rezound has a couple different extended batteries. HTC offers one that's 2750mah ($30 at Verizon.com). And there is one from QCell that is like 3850mah. It's on Amazon for $20. Crazy. The extended batteries do add some thickness to the phone...so keep that in mind if that bothers you...but I hear with the Rezound, if you are a power user, you need the extended battery. I just bought the Rezound...it is due to show up today, and I bought the extended.
I've seen extended batteries for the Nexus too...haven't really looked into them though.

The Razr Maxx is supposed to have up to 21.5 hours of talk time on it's stock 3300mah battery. That's really impressive. No need for an extended battery with the Maxx.

verizonwireless.com, in the shop, you can compare up to 4 phones side by side with all of the specs right there next to each other. I printed that out and took it to the Verizon store when I went to play with the phones.

I love the Google Play store. Lots of good stuff in there...but take a look and browse around for yourself.
You don't have to own an Android phone to check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps?hl=en
J
ust about anything you can find in the Apple App Store, you can find in Google Play. And if you can't find it, you can probably get something very, very close.

Good luck...and welcome aboard!
Make sure you let us know what you end up choosing.

razr ICS has started rolling out .

your right on jellybean it does look nice. nexus would be best phone if you want to stay updated .

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum! As noted above, definitely go in the store and play around with a few of them to get a feel of what you'll be getting yourself into. All of the phones mentioned are great devices, but if you want the latest and greatest in the Android world, wait a couple of weeks and check out the Samsung Galaxy S3.
Just my 2 cents regarding battery life. I've never chosen a phone based on battery life, since pretty much every smartphone out these days (depending on your usage) is going to suck in the battery life department. I would suggest investing in a couple extra power cords and an extra battery or two. I keep two power cords at home, one at work and one in the car and have two extra batteries. I never have to worry about "making it through the day" on a single charge.
As for applications: I'm sure you'll be quite pleased in this department as well. Many of the apps you would normally pay for are free on the Play Store. I can almost garauntee you won't spend nearly as much money on apps with Android the way you do with Apple.
Good luck with whatever you decide on, I'm sure you'll be quite pleased with your new Android device.
:)

Last edited:
OP
E

Eric8

Reaction score
Wooh. Hold on there. I have no idea what jelly bean or all these other flavors of droid are. Last time I used a droid was in 2010 right before I bought my iphone. What killed the droid for me was the butt ugly unintuitive UI. I'm hoping that's changed now. I'd prefer a phone with UI similar to Windows 7 with Aero and Icons. That's why I stayed away from Win7 mobilecause Metro/Livetiles suck.

Out of all the Droid phones which has the closest UI to the iphone?

Also which droid is best with flash?

The local verizon store is overcrowded, even today. So as much mas I'd love to finger**** a droid right now I can't.

Mike8016

Reaction score
If you don't want to spend to much money I recommend the Bionic. Its similar specs to the Razr but has a removable battery

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
Jellybean is like ios7 and icecream sandwich is like ios6. They are the different operating systems.

Not sure if any phones that are like ios. There is a custom ROM called MIUI, but that will require some advanced modifications to the phone. Kinda like a jailbreak.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Hello, I'm a longtime Iphone user who wants to jump ship to Droid.

I currently have an iphone4 which i've had since the first day they were available on verizon. And now I want to switch sides.

I would like in a droid.

1. Long Battery Life. I talk atleast 6 hours a day and my iphone can't handle it.

2. Ergonomics. I'd like a 4" screen Minimum, Damage resistant, Also if possible tactile not touch homekeys.

3. Flash compatibility. The main reason I want a droid. I'm sick of having half the internet not available to me, and I can't carry my netbook everywhere. I need a phone that will run flash well.

As many have said, best practice would be to go to Verizon and check out the devices, Razr Maxx, Rezound, Nexus. The Maxx will allow you to play all day with no need to swap batteries, and if modding is your thing, you can't beat the Nexus. Also, the Galaxy SIII was mentioned, however, if you're looking to buy before tomorrow's deadline, you won't have a chance to handle the S3. There are numerous reviews of the international version, though, so you can check it out online.

Good luck, and happy hunting.