Buy Friend's Droid X or wait?

napes22

Reaction score
I currently use the Droid 1 as my phone. I can get an upgrade now if I wanted to, but I'm not a big Thunderbolt fan. I was able to find a friend who would sell me his used Droid X for 150 (the phone is in great shape).

Should I buy the X off my friend and then upgrade when more LTE devices come out, or just stand pat and stick with the OG Droid? I love the Droid keyboard, but it's such a limited phone at this point in the game.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If I were in your shoes I'd just wait a bit. It's already april pretty much and summer is just around the corner when more devices will be released.

You've held onto the Droid 1 for this long, why settle for an X when you already plan on upgrading to an LTE device?

cwciwatch

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes I'd just wait a bit. It's already april pretty much and summer is just around the corner when more devices will be released.

You've held onto the Droid 1 for this long, why settle for an X when you already plan on upgrading to an LTE device?

I agree, I would wait. I am personally holding on for more devices. My D-1 is showing its age but still does well enough.

Eiji

Reaction score
Id suggest spending the bit of cash on your friends X and using it for a few months while you wait for a goos lte phone. A trial run on a phone without a physical keyboard is never a bad thing, especially since the X is getting ota gb in the next few months.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Snow02

Reaction score
And you'll be able to the sell the X for 100-150 easy when you get ready to upgrade.

cnmsales

Reaction score
Have you tried the TB?

It blows the Dx out of the water and is balls to the wall fast.

matt2783

Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I have to wait until August before I can upgrade. I would definitely buy a Droid X for $150 to use for the next few months if I could. It's not like it will be worthless once you you do upgrade to which ever LTE phone you get. You could probably sell it and make your money back.

Although if I were you I would just buy the TB, besides battery life it's an awesome phone.

OP
N

napes22

Reaction score
I Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to buy it. I did however find an Incredible selling for 150 nearby my office on Craigslist.

Outside of the fact that it would be a craigslist purchase, should I go for the X or the Incredible?

Which do you think would have a higher resale value?

Last edited:

matt2783

Reaction score
I'd go for the Droid X. It's newer, nicer and will be more valuable if you decide to sell it in the future.

OP
N

napes22

Reaction score
I havent made the purchase yet, but given today's leak of the VzW roadmap, should I hold off? The Incredible 2 is out end of April, and Bionic says May.

I checked my account today and i'm actually eligible for an upgrade now (July) is if I want to use the New every 2 for the last time. I guess it's not worth spending 150 for 2 months.

OP
N

napes22

Reaction score
I actually found out I'm due for an update now, but I dont plan on getting the Thunderbolt.

My option now is to 1) buy the Droid X off contract for 150, sell my droid, and then resell the X in 2 months, or 2) wait for the Incredible 2 or Droid Bionic. The Droid Bionic's 512 ram does scare me a little.

jacobbond

Reaction score
The Droid X 2 should be coming out later this year too, I would wait for that if you are set on the Droid. There is a lot of cool phones coming out this year though, and some have already come out like the TB, Atrix 4g, etc.

jsummersphd

Reaction score
Same exact position here.

Buy the Droid X. The D1 was great, but theres no reason to needlessly wait month after month to hear something about a worthwhile LTE Droid. You don't know how long its going to be and the price is right.

Its what I did. Don't regret it one bit.

lerit50

Reaction score
Wait. Believe me hold on to that D1.. just overclock it to 1ghz and it will run even better.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL