I think I have a bricked phone.... sort of..

alonsou

Reaction score
I'll try to make this as short and fast as possible.

Yesterday one of my friends ask me to install 2.2 on his D1

He used the easy root app and got rooted a few days ago, so I went and install a fresh and clean copy of Froyo Rooted.

Everything went well, I installed a Shapphire 1.0 with watermarkd
Everything was working fine.

Then he came back to me and asked me to check out his phone, that he couldn't make any calls, and he was right, he had no network connections, and that was really odd to me, that's the first time it ever happens and I have rooted several Droids before.

So I decide to restore the nandroid back up of stock 2.2 rooted.
He then took the phone and went home, he was going to call me if anything went wrong.

Well that was yerterday, now he came back to me and I think he just bricked his phone. It won't power up (I think the battery is nearly dead) and bootloader says "low battery" "cannot program".

I switched batteries and the phone will go straight to CWM. I did wipe data and cache 3 or 4 times and try to run the nandroid backup and voila!!!! nothing.......:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

I connected the SD card to the pc and its empty, nothing is there:icon_eek:

If I copy my SD card to his SD, could that help me to run one of my back ups on his phone?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks!!

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Yeah, you should be able to copy your sd card to his and run one of your backups without a problem, i have done this before (just copied the Clockwork folder)

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Wow, empty SD card??

Yeah, I'd try to transfer a ROM zip file to his card and see if that'll work. Not a backup, just the file itself ...

Hope you figure it out!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sounds like he formatted his sdcard. You can use one of your backups, but just restore system and nothing else and should be ok. If that doesn't work rsdlite might be your best option.

On a side note in the future rooting someone elses phone is a bad idea. Then you end up in this situation where they rely on you to fix a problem. Now you are responible for the guys phone issues. Next time teach, show them what you're doing and what's going on. Also let them know things don't always go as planned when hacking.

$.02, spend it as you please.

Droidarola

Reaction score
I've been in that situation rooting my phone 2 weeks ago. I had downloaded 2.2 stock non-rooted to see if the phone ran faster it didn't so I decided to root. Flashed back to 2.0.1 and when the phoen restarted i had no signal or battery so I kept the phone plugged into the computer to keep it running without dying and continued to manually root the phone, and it worked out fine in the end, had full battery before and then it said i had no life then after root was done successfully it has full batter again :)

OP
alonsou

alonsou

Reaction score
Great advices from all thanks, I'll keep in mind rooting someone else phone again.. :unsure: I don't think it will happen..

Now, everything seems to work but I just restarted the phone and I have no network connection again, I went to look for the baseband and it says "baseband version unknown"...

Where can I get the lastest baseband version for Sapphire 1.0 on the D1?
and
How do I install it?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Huh, I would imagine that would be included in the ROM build.

Maybe try downloading the ROM zip file again - may be you got a bad download?

OP
alonsou

alonsou

Reaction score

It was working fine after I installed Sapphire 1.0 but after I restarted it went away and can't make or receive calls

EDIT: I'm going to try a different ROM I hope this works

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com

It was working fine after I installed Sapphire 1.0 but after I restarted it went away and can't make or receive calls

Sorry, I'm at a loss on that ... I've had the no signal thing happen to me, but a reboot cured it ... not caused it :confused:

OP
alonsou

alonsou

Reaction score

Sorry, I'm at a loss on that ... I've had the no signal thing happen to me, but a reboot cured it ... not caused it :confused:

Now I feel like a stupid!!! I restarted again and guess what....??? its working again.... ahhhh all this is driving me nuts!!! :icon_evil:

Thanks guys!!