I see why people keep asking about Task Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracos

Reaction score
Beginning to see why this is becoming an issue. Went to Best Buy today and son bought a LG Ally to upgrade from his Voyager. While we were sitting down getting everything in order the saleswoman explains android to my son, I didnt mention to her that I have a Droid.

She says one of the first applications he needs to download from the market is a task killer because android applications run in the background and will cause your battery to die faster. I just looked at my wife and silently mouthed hell no. After we left the store I told my son he didnt need the program because applications dont run down your battery and android comes with a built in application killer.

I see now why so many new users to Android have issues with this especially if they are shopping in retail stores. You have uneducated salespersons basically mouthing out on a subject they have no idea about, but what can I expect when shopping at Best Buy. Look at the lies they tell about Televisions and Computers when they are selling them.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
I overheard the exact same suggestion at a Verizon store... I was waiting in line and a guy w/ an Eris is talking to the guy at the counter. He's having trouble with some app or something simple, and the guy behind the counter makes it a point to install some task killer and show him how to use it. "See, you don't need thiiiiis, or thiiiis, or thiiiiiis"

I wanted so bad to set them both straight, but I didn't....

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So you feel having apps that you almost hardly use, using up RAM is a good thing?? I could understand the positives of having apps that you use a lot staged and ready to launch, but what would be wrong with using something like System Panel to control what apps get auto-killed and what apps are allowed to be ready to fire up?...

...just asking to see if some of you can better explain the negatives that would outweigh what I described above??

J

Johnly

Yup, I was in Verizon and the Rep had the audacity to download and tell me I needed this app. Useless garbage of an app.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
If I don't need a Task Killer , then tell me my good sir how can I stop applications like Sipdroid which is continually connected to a PBX box , Fring and other 10 applications which are continually using a data connection draining the battery in less than 4 hours and slowing down the whole system . Or how can I terminate a blocked service without rebooting the whole system ?

J

Johnly

So you feel having apps that you almost hardly use, using up RAM is a good thing?? I could understand the positives of having apps that you use a lot staged and ready to launch, but what would be wrong with using something like System Panel to control what apps get auto-killed and what apps are allowed to be ready to fire up?...

...just asking to see if some of you can better explain the negatives that would outweigh what I described above??
This issue has been hashed out in multiple, long threads. Just because a Linux window is open, doesn't mean it is using ram. Second, imagine you and your buddies are at the library. You all have the six PC's available. This guy walks in named TK, and rips the floor form your buddy on PC #3, not allowing him to collect his things, or any thing. He then starts his own process, and thus the cycle continues, and the task killer user just wrecks his/her apps, and has no respect for an already beautiful system.

meanwhile, and at the other library, TK never shows up, because he can't afford the tuition. This library's 6 PC's and their users are always left to themselves, and students follow the code of conduct, and when a new process is needed, the student waiting for the others at the 6 PC's asks who has been there the longest? The student that has gathers his things and leaves politely, with his data, and last session window, and the new guy starts in a happy OS, and because of that, it runs nice.

What library OS do you want to hang out in, and have on your phone? The one ripping the floor from apps, (possibly damaging your processes and corrupted your data) (though it is not likely) or the other library where apps are allowed to play nicely together, letting your data, and things remain organized and neat, and processes gather data and leave under the Linux OS, built in task management?

Task killers are garbage to Linux (androids base)

WHO sings that song we won't be fooled again?

Jmart922

Reaction score
Yeah I had an experience with these so-called verizon reps. Now I know some are more knowledgeable then others, but I over heard a guy tell someone at verizon that her earphones weren't working properly because she had too many apps running, and he suggested a task killer. Okay I personally use one, not everyone does, but I was like, whoooo K dude! This thread didn't surprise me...

J

Johnly

CK has a huge thread on this, and explains why task killers are bad for android OS. If I find it, I will post it....Remember, if it is not broke, don't fix it : )

iPirate

Reaction score
If I don't need a Task Killer , then tell me my good sir how can I stop applications like Sipdroid which is continually connected to a PBX box , Fring and other 10 applications which are continually using a data connection draining the battery in less than 4 hours and slowing down the whole system . Or how can I terminate a blocked service without rebooting the whole system ?
Android has the built in option to force close an app if you feel you need to.

mentaloaf

Reaction score
Well, in Verizon reps' defense it was a random Verizon sales Rep who introduced me to root access which has brought me to a higher plane of consciousness like most of you all

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well phones like the Hero could take advantage of a task killer, but the Droid and other new phones don't need a task killer, since they have more resources to spare.

J

Johnly

I will never understand a task killer on and android phone. The OS will automatically clean things up no mater the phones resources. When it gets low, Linux cleans. I have SDK, and JDK, and are programing apps for fun, so that gives me an intimate knowledge of android 1.6 and up. Task killers are never needed, under any phone, under any circumstance running android. The smart fellow that said you can stop an app within the android OS without a task killer should be given a ribbon for intelligence.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I personally don't use the EndAll option in System Panel much myself.... that being said, I think that managing your apps to not launch or to be able to kill unnecessary apps can only help the Droid's performance...
otherwise why would there be options built into the OS ...or have options to have it aggressively kill apps built in as well (forget where I've seen that setting)...

J

Johnly

Unlike apple, override commands are allowed : )
Hardly a necessity tho
performance will have nothing to do with killing task, lol.
That will be a little more complex, and have do do with software implement.

mrdroid

Reaction score
This issue has been hashed out in multiple, long threads. Just because a Linux window is open, doesn't mean it is using ram.

This is 100% false. I don't care who uses task killers and who doesn't and I'd rather not spend another hour explaining the technical aspect of why you're wrong. The OS DOES NOT automatically clean things up. It doesn't even claim to. It only removes apps from memory when it doesn't have enough free memory to complete a given task. But ANY app that is in the background is using just as much RAM and just as much power as if it were running in the foreground. Whether you like it or not it's a fact. If you don't believe it fine... I'm sure you're still happy with your Droid. BUT don't spread false information. Task killers do save battery at an exponential rate. There is a reason I get 48+ hours on my Droid and most others get less than 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.