I like Task Killers, Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandonovich

Reaction score
I have read, and read, and read on here from so many users and from Google developers saying that task killers are completely unnecessary, and actually hog resources and battery. I had ATK on my phone from the day I got it, and have had really good performance once I rooted and started using Launcher Pro. I am rooted and overclocked with chevy's 1.1 kernel.

I recently decided to experiment and uninstalled ATK. I started by using no task killer or memory manager at all, relying on the built in Android memory manager that, according to Google, is more than sufficient at monitoring and optimizing resources. I immediately started having redraw issues, and everything slowed down. I gave it a few days, and with no better luck, came back to the forums. I read up on memory managers, and experimented with one that was highly recommended by several users. Again, redraw issues, and I also had problems with the memory manager shutting down my browser when pages with a lot of graphics were loading. I played with the settings from mild to aggressive, and several custom configurations, and I never got it back to where it once was in terms of performance.

A few days ago, I decided my experiment was over. I uninstalled the memory manager, reinstalled ATK, and I am doing great.

This got me thinking. It seems logical that Google developers would naturally be inclined to say that their software was sufficient, whether or not that was actually true. Why would they say "Yeah, we really didn't pay much attention to resource management. You had better use a task killer". I am not at the level of writing code for apps, but I am certainly no noob either, and I think my experiment was fairly thorough. Has anyone else had this experience?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel that task killers cause more problems than they solve and suggest that folks do not use task killers.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.