I see why people keep asking about Task Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
D

dracos

Reaction score
Sorry I just woke up, my sarcasm meter isnt quite activated fully...

J

Johnly

The adminastrators should ban this topic lmfao
You OK? Your spelling is quite amusing!

Why ban the topic its not like we are flaming each other or talking about raping each others' moms, its just a friendly debate :).

I was just relaying my experience when I went to go purchase my son a droid phone. Did I mention he loves the crap out of his Ally and says he sees why its called a smartphone it runs circles around his Voyager. I just laughed.

Maybe you misunderstood that that was a joke.. and sorry maybe I could get a spelling lesson from one of you.. but on a serious note I've seen at least 10 threads just like this.
no worries, we all make mistakes (I am a primary offender on spelling errors) In the end ,are we happyZ? yes we areZ!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The adminastrators should ban this topic lmfao

Why ban the topic its not like we are flaming each other or talking about raping each others' moms, its just a friendly debate :).

I was just relaying my experience when I went to go purchase my son a droid phone. Did I mention he loves the crap out of his Ally and says he sees why its called a smartphone it runs circles around his Voyager. I just laughed.

Maybe you misunderstood that that was a joke.. and sorry maybe I could get a spelling lesson from one of you.. but on a serious note I've seen at least 10 threads just like this.
I deleted the spelling comment out of the original post, and on here. It was not needed. Let's try to keep this on topic and keep personal feelings out. I'm personally interested why people feel yea for TK's and nay for TK's. I've never really read the definitive answer.

mrdroid

Reaction score
There is a reason I get 48+ hours on my Droid and most others get less than 24.

48? Getting deep in here.....

Are we? In many of these other threads people claim to get up to 72 hours of runtime between charge. All the anti-task killers out there do nothing but bash these people and say it's impossible yet refuse to actually use one...

"Just because a Linux window is open, doesn't mean it is using ram." is 100% false as it's 100% impossible for something to resident in an OS without being resident in RAM. I do development on the side but I'm a hardware engineer by trade.
Never mind, you are a 100% er. You can learn something if you PM me and talk source programming! I am still waiting? If you can't I don't blame your smoke and mirrors....common, I am very intelligent conversation, and have sources? PM me already, so we can avert taking this thread down! Last time, you got upset remember? Lets keep it civil.

When did I get upset? The only other discussions about this topic I've provided mountains of evidence along with screen shots of uptime and guys like you sit around denying all the evidence without providing anything factual or any evidence of your own.

Android kills tasks for the reason of inactivity 0% of the time. 100% - 0% does in fact equal 100%. Thus making you 100% inaccurate. The only time Android will kill an inactive task is if there is contention for the resources being consumed by the inactive task. There is no code within Andriod to just go clean up tasks for the duty of cleaning up tasks.

bje1982

Reaction score
Yeah me niether lol had a screaming baby to top it off.. I will admit though there is a lot of uneducated walmart, best buy and even verizon employees and customers that still think android is new since verizon got it. A lot of people don't realize that androids been alive for years not months.

J

Johnly

re elect Bill Clinton! The American people like their BS up front! Bill Clinton at least was honest about his BS, and said it up front (minus monica!) LMAO!

J

Johnly

Are we? In many of these other threads people claim to get up to 72 hours of runtime between charge. All the anti-task killers out there do nothing but bash these people and say it's impossible yet refuse to actually use one...

"Just because a Linux window is open, doesn't mean it is using ram." is 100% false as it's 100% impossible for something to resident in an OS without being resident in RAM. I do development on the side but I'm a hardware engineer by trade.
Never mind, you are a 100% er. You can learn something if you PM me and talk source programming! I am still waiting? If you can't I don't blame your smoke and mirrors....common, I am very intelligent conversation, and have sources? PM me already, so we can avert taking this thread down! Last time, you got upset remember? Lets keep it civil.

When did I get upset? The only other discussions about this topic I've provided mountains of evidence along with screen shots of uptime and guys like you sit around denying all the evidence without providing anything factual or any evidence of your own.

Android kills tasks for the reason of inactivity 0% of the time. 100% - 0% does in fact equal 100%. Thus making you 100% inaccurate. The only time Android will kill an inactive task is if there is contention for the resources being consumed by the inactive task. There is no code within Andriod to just go clean up tasks for the duty of cleaning up tasks.
feel free too PM me if you want to dive into dev code

mrdroid

Reaction score

feel free too PM me if you want to dive into dev code

uh huh.... just post the section of source code in Android where it handles killing inactive tasks... or you can PM it to me if you want to be all secretive.

J

Johnly

I sent you a PM! I figure you and I can have a civil debate while sparing those in this thread, poo?

mrdroid

Reaction score

I sent you a PM! I figure you and I can have a civil debate while sparing those in this thread, poo?

Well, if you could just post that code and explain how it works and what it does then we could all learn something.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Yes people claim a lot of things, 48 and 72 hours between charges is one of them. Reality dictates that it isn't going to happen.

mrdroid

Reaction score
Yes people claim a lot of things, 48 and 72 hours between charges is one of them. Reality dictates that it isn't going to happen.

That's strange. So my battery dies after what.. 18-20 hours.. and my Droid continues to run for another 28-30 hours anyway? I know the Droid is awesome but I didn't realize it was that awesome.

Obviously it's a type of usage scenario so if you sit there watching YouTube all day it won't last that long. I don't watch video on my Droid.

J

Johnly

OK, I am done, one PM from you, and you are back over here? I don't take you serious from this point forward.....enjoy your day sir:icon_evil:
I am off to different challenges : )

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you feel having apps that you almost hardly use, using up RAM is a good thing?? I could understand the positives of having apps that you use a lot staged and ready to launch, but what would be wrong with using something like System Panel to control what apps get auto-killed and what apps are allowed to be ready to fire up?...

...just asking to see if some of you can better explain the negatives that would outweigh what I described above??

Congrats on using System Panel. You might want to read the "Help" from SystemPanel, itself.

"Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system for mobile devices. Its memory management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.

"The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS...the user is responsible for closing program in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case...

"Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data...Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible."

"As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED...Generally speaking, you should only "end" applications if you see one which is not working correctly..."

Status
Not open for further replies.