I just rooted and I need some help on ROMS...

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I just came from a Droid X, and I knew the flashing procedure like the back of my hand. It's a bit nerve-racking for me to step back into the unknown. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the data that is on the TB, and what is stable, what you can install rooted, what causes bricks, what causes what...

I just rooted my phone with the AutoRoot MR1, so I'm just curious where I could find a stable, de-bloated, Sense ROM. At this point I don't care about whether or not it's Gingerbread or Froyo, just trying to get the feel of Sense for a bit. I can already tell it's WAY better than Blur (ugh!).

So if someone could point me in the right direction? Are there specific radios or kernels I need to flash before I go to certain ROM? Thanks a ton, guys!

ultrastigi

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. I was gonna ask the something.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

RemyL75

Reaction score
That makes 3 of us. The only thing that saved me is I used to have htc phones so I remembered a little about flashing them. I used ROM Manager after I rooted. The free version has a few good ROMs in there. I picked a de-sensed one (without sense ui, as it was getting on my nerves).
Also, here is a list of ROMs. It helped me when picking the ones I wanted to try. Once you rooted, ROM Manager is great for installing recovery and ROMs. The info pages for the ROMs usually tell you what radio it's based on and if you need to flash to it. That's one of, if not the most, confusing part for me.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
Same here. I see flash new radio and I just stare at the screen. I don't know if you flash it like a Rom or what. I tried looking on you tube and that wasn't anymore help. It made me more confused.

jimmydene84

Reaction score
To each his own, but I recently converted from BAMF to viruses ROM synergy and its amazing! Just throwing that out there

xXGH05TXx

Reaction score
I just came from a Droid X, and I knew the flashing procedure like the back of my hand. It's a bit nerve-racking for me to step back into the unknown. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the data that is on the TB, and what is stable, what you can install rooted, what causes bricks, what causes what...

I just rooted my phone with the AutoRoot MR1, so I'm just curious where I could find a stable, de-bloated, Sense ROM. At this point I don't care about whether or not it's Gingerbread or Froyo, just trying to get the feel of Sense for a bit. I can already tell it's WAY better than Blur (ugh!).

So if someone could point me in the right direction? Are there specific radios or kernels I need to flash before I go to certain ROM? Thanks a ton, guys!

What kind of phone u have now

Sent from RubiX Focused DX 2.0

OP
supermandroid

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen

What kind of phone u have now

Sent from RubiX Focused DX 2.0

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I have a Thunderbolt now, and I thought about trying Synergy as well. My buddy has it on his EVO and he loves it! So do I need something more than just root to flash Synergy? Or do I need to flash a radio first? And why aren't those included in the ROM install?

turdbogls

Reaction score
have no fear guys. just came from a DX, and now i am running a GB rom.

its actually pretty simple.
Flash the radio that is listed in the ROM thread.
to do this, download the file, and rename to PG01IMG.zip and place on the root of the SD card (not in a folder)
power the phone off
once it is completely shut off (make sure the backlights are turned off)
hold power and volume down
it will boot into HBOOT
it will check for the file.
it will ask you to hit up volume to apply or down to cancel.
hit volume up.
file will flash
tap power to boot the phone when it tells you to
phone will boot up
you may not have service depending on the ROM you are running and what radio you just flashed....no big deal,
boot into clockwork recovery from ROM manager
then flash the ROM just like you would for the DX.
done

ultrastigi

Reaction score
Say I want to flash a gb Rom. I flash the radio that they say. But since I am on stock with everything stock right now. Is it ok to flash the radio then start everything back up and then flash the Rom? It won't brick my phone?

polish23

Reaction score
Say I want to flash a gb Rom. I flash the radio that they say. But since I am on stock with everything stock right now. Is it ok to flash the radio then start everything back up and then flash the Rom? It won't brick my phone?

Do you mean you are rooted but just stock or you haven't rooted yet?

You will want to root your phone before you try to flash anything...

If you are rooted then you probably make a backup of your good running config so you can at least get back to that if anything goes wrong. Then, you can just flash the radio through HBOOT and then install the ROM through CW and you should be good to go!

ultrastigi

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I did. Just was nervous you know. First ROM flash on a new phone and its different than how it is on the dx. Just wasn't sure if radio is flashed first or rom.

But I got it. Now running bamf sense 3.0. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

blazednova

Reaction score

welcome to the thunderbolt scene!!!!:welcome:! i have been rooted for months now and came from the droid1. in my opinion the bamf team makes the stablest roms. and if you want to get the best possible performance you should stick to froyo for now(or at least until we get source code for GB) from what you said i would recommend looking into bamf 1.8, not positive but you may have to flash the mr2 radio.. but i could be wrong.
i use kernels from adryn or imos.

*tip* rom manager does not properly flash zips, so always use CWM recovery if you want to flash anything

RVC

Reaction score
Dont forget to move the PG01IMG.zip file off the root of your SD card. If you have to go into hboot for some reason (like I did by flashing a kernel that didn't work with my phone) you will be able to go into recovery. If your phone sees the PG01IMG file it will ask you if you want to update and then reboot without letting you go into recovery.....someone please correct me if I am wrong.

blazednova

Reaction score
Dont forget to move the PG01IMG.zip file off the root of your SD card. If you have to go into hboot for some reason (like I did by flashing a kernel that didn't work with my phone) you will be able to go into recovery. If your phone sees the PG01IMG file it will ask you if you want to update and then reboot without letting you go into recovery.....someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Well said, Hit the nail right on the head