I have a question about the X

drice72

Reaction score
I have a friend who is looking to sell their X. I have never really played around with one. I'm wondering what are the biggest differences between what you can accomplish with root on the X compared to the Droid 1, which is what I have now. I have Flashed many ROMs on my Droid 1. What I'm using now actually has features that were not available on my stock phone. Will I get more functionality from the X once I root it, or will I just be able to theme it and make it look cool? Not that making it cool isn't a good enough reason to root, I'd root it for a cool theme in a second. I'm just wondering.

yhwhsozo

Reaction score
It's a different process rooting the x. You have to have jrummy bootstrap app. Look at the Droid x part of this forum. There are really good ROMs out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

eewny

Reaction score
If you can't think of needs for root off hand then your likely to be fine with the dx.

My dx is rooted. I can do screen captures, wireless tether, rom changes, overclock, hdmi hack.

The only thing I can't do are some of the more technical mods people do by loading custom kernels. Dx cant load a custom kernel.

So loading roms is a little harder, and your selection is a little smaller but overall if you don't change roms like crazy you'll be ok.

Upgrading is a little harder I believe because you have to revert to the old Verizon rom then get the new kernel update then go back to custom roms. Guides online are helpful

mikehal38

Reaction score
I have a rooted x running stock with a theme and I love it. I wouldn't go back to my droid 1. I've tried roms and they are great but for some reason I prefer the stock blur...

HelpeRX

Reaction score

It's a different process rooting the x. You have to have jrummy bootstrap app. Look at the Droid x part of this forum. There are really good ROMs out.

I believe it is koush's bootstrap app.

OP
D

drice72

Reaction score
I have been reading on rooting and theming the X, and yes it's a different process. I'm not worried about being able to do it. As to why root, I do it mainly because I can, and I have now and would like to keep wireless tether. I would also like to have the hdmi hack and wifi hot spot hack, if they are available.

eewny

Reaction score
Tether should be available.in most roms if u load a rom. Some roms are full of blur but still have improvements, while some roms have almost no blur. Not all roms support hdmi.

Apex does
Ruby blurry does I think
Liberty does not

JBWhitley

Reaction score
If you can't think of needs for root off hand then your likely to be fine with the dx.

My dx is rooted. I can do screen captures, wireless tether, rom changes, overclock, hdmi hack.

eewny - what program do you use for screen captures??

oakvad

Reaction score
I went from a D1 rooted and overclocked with wireless tether, all that good stuff to My DX rooted with all the goodies and i have to say the X is a better phone in every way. Stock it was faster than my d1 was rooted and overclocked its also alot smoother and i love the larger screen. The camera is amazing as well, the only downfall is no keyboard which for me is kinda biggie, i miss my keyboard.
I will say the rooting and roming was fairly simple and straight forward. just read up

BodyBagz

Reaction score
For the record, you Do Not have to have Koush's Bootstrap App in order to root the Droid X...z4root is all you need for that process. Now, you can use DX Bootstrapper for making backups and restoring already made backups...as well as helping flash ROM's...