I am thinking about returning my Android Tablet for a Ipad2 :(

knighthonor

Reaction score
I am thinking about returning my Thrive for a Ipad2.

There is a major problem with the new Android Tablet movement. That problem, is also exemplified by the main issues of the Android Phone in general.

The Problem with Android Tablets, is that issue that most apps dont work for Tablet.
this problem, along with the issue that the amount of Software for Android compared to IOS, is no where near in numbers and quality. Sadly. I am no :droideris: fanboy. This is coming from a Android fan, that would like to see the Android improve.

But clearly this gap seems like it will almost never be closed between Android and IOS.

I feel like I am getting the better hardware from Android, but better software from Apple.

While I have my Android Tablet, I have to wonder,,,, what to do with it... When a costumer starts questioning the product, something much be wrong.
The Device feels empty, and meaningless. I brought it to play games more faster and more graphical, and more larger.

But most games dont run on the Tablet I have. The games that do run, seem to run fine on my high end Smartphone which also has a network connection.

That brings up something else. Whats the point of a Wifi Model Tablet? Everything it does can be done from a home computer. Also a 3G/4G Phone or Tablet, can do everything Android tablets do but almost everywhere you go that has a signal, the exp will be better. The Role of a Tablet, just doesnt stack up well as wifi only, especial with this issues it has with the software compatibility.

I know many people may be asking, "What should I get,,, Ipad2, or Android tablet (x,y,z)?"

well I would suggest from a non bias point of view, that you get a Ipad2 for the meantime if you already have a upper-end Android Smartphone. No real point in getting a Android Tablet right now, with these current issues in place. Wait until Google makes a solution to this issue.

But if you have no Android Exp,,, I would highly suggest getting a Android phone rather than the Tablet right now. Because there are way more apps for the phone to keep you busy.

Edit:
Found similar reviews

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UZO9...52P6DQI&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

Last edited:

IAm

Reaction score
Strongly consider the HP Touchpad...I have the I Pad2 and the Touchpad and the Touchpad is hands down the better Tablet. Please give it a couple minutes of use and you will love it. Or you can just go and read all the actual customers reviews at Amazon. Many IPad 2 users have also made the switch and will never turn back. Webos is truly brilliant! Palms marketing is the only reason it hasn't competed from the beginning. The Touchpad is slightly thicker but that simple. Hp knew that wireless charging would be worth the 1/2 mm.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
Web os is awesome, needs better hardware and apps though..

That said, I agree with what you said, google is trying desperately to get honeycomb where it should be.

I was kinda sad when hp didn't include the gesture area from the pre to their slate.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Strongly consider the HP Touchpad...I have the I Pad2 and the Touchpad and the Touchpad is hands down the better Tablet. Please give it a couple minutes of use and you will love it. Or you can just go and read all the actual customers reviews at Amazon. Many IPad 2 users have also made the switch and will never turn back. Webos is truly brilliant! Palms marketing is the only reason it hasn't competed from the beginning. The Touchpad is slightly thicker but that simple. Hp knew that wireless charging would be worth the 1/2 mm.

Thats actually worst. its another Hardware powerhouse that lacks the software. it doesnt even have a back camera.

it suffers from the same problem Android does. Which is why nether of those two OS will beat/close gap with IOS

googlelover

Reaction score
I wouldn't count android out of the tablet game, software wise it should start to kick off now, some company (can't remember the name, but I can find the article) said that android tablets have taken roughly 30% of the tablet market from the ipad already. If I was a developer I'd start to take a look at the platform that has gained nearly 10x the market share it had in 1 quarter

rayw796

Reaction score
Thats interesting, I have friends with ipads that are thinking of moving to an Android tablet. I have two Android tablets and I have my Xoom with me just about all the time. There are some amazing games for it as well as tremendous apps.

Sure the ipads and iphones have more apps, but how many of those apps are talking mouths, popping champaign corks and other foolishness? I don't need or use 2 or 300000 apps, just 20 or 30 that I use on a regular basis.

If you don't know what to do with your Android tablet, you won't know what to do with an iPad either. Maybe you should consider what you are using it for??

googlelover

Reaction score
Actually, I could understand why he'd move to an ipad, he wants his tablet for games and even android phones are just starting to receive better quality games.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
Thats interesting, I have friends with ipads that are thinking of moving to an Android tablet. I have two Android tablets and I have my Xoom with me just about all the time. There are some amazing games for it as well as tremendous apps.

Sure the ipads and iphones have more apps, but how many of those apps are talking mouths, popping champaign corks and other foolishness? I don't need or use 2 or 300000 apps, just 20 or 30 that I use on a regular basis.

If you don't know what to do with your Android tablet, you won't know what to do with an iPad either. Maybe you should consider what you are using it for??
I am curious, what are these great game apps you speak of for your tablet?

vedetta Online?

cause Gameloft games have no support on tablets. and game loft has the best 3D MMO for the Android OS, and they have some of the best FPS. Even a GTA clone.

What Android Tablets have?

PS:
also what other cool things you use your tablet for. Give me and other readers a few interesting points to start off with, if it so great.

Last edited:

rayw796

Reaction score
First for Gameloft I see Assassin's Creed for the Xoom. I am not that much of a game player, but do have Samuai II, Dungeon Defender, Fruit Ninja and Pinball HD for Tegra.

I use my tablet to review Excel sheets, Word documents, Powerpoint presentations, of course taking care of email on 7 accounts, my contacts and appointments. I read on my Kindle account, look at magazines on Zinio, transfer files between my office, home and tablet using dropbox. Once in a while I even traverse through the various forums for those items that interest me. I frequently research the Intenet looking for items of interest or to answer questions from coworkers.

I also have an app to control my computer at work and home from my tablet so that I can perform various services wherever I am located. Sometimes I even go on facebook or twitter to see how my grandkids are doing.

What do you do????

PS: Support for Android games and apps is only going to grow.

Last edited:
OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score
First for Gameloft I see Assassin's Creed for the Xoom. I am not that much of a game player, but do have Samuai II, Dungeon Defender, Fruit Ninja and Pinball HD for Tegra.

I use my tablet to review Excel sheets, Word documents, Powerpoint presentations, of course taking care of email on 7 accounts, my contacts and appointments. I read on my Kindle account, look at magazines on Zinio, transfer files between my office, home and tablet using dropbox. Once in a while I even traverse through the various forums for those items that interest me. I frequently research the Intenet looking for items of interest or to answer questions from coworkers.

I also have an app to control my computer at work and home from my tablet so that I can perform various services wherever I am located. Sometimes I even go on facebook or twitter to see how my grandkids are doing.

What do you do????

PS: Support for Android games and apps is only going to grow.

I have
Samurai II and Dungeon Defender, nether is all that. Samurai II is nothing but a dull down hack and slasher. Also Dungeon Defender, hasnt been anything special so far. I dont understand the hype.

Assassin's Creed for the tablet I believe is a 2D game by Gameloft, not the full 3D one from before.

I been playing Vendetta Online, but when I dont have a wifi network, I play Dungeon Defender and that Minecraft game. not all that fun to be honest.

You seem to use it more for business oriented practices. I want a tablet for entertainment. Which clearly the Android Tablets are lacking.

Only problem I have with the Ipad2, which I been reading, is the lack of external storage. That just seem dumb. But I guess people like it still. I am most excited about having access to the Apps.

After seeing some of the things my supervisor does with his Iphone for media edit, and ofc the game market (order and Chaos for Ipad2) I just dont see the fun in a Android tablet at this time.

A lot of work need to be done. I will admit, I will miss the Book app. I like having 2 pages to read my ebooks, rather than the single page from my phone app.

damn just imagine if Google, and Apple were to team up to combine the Android Hardware with the Apple Software. That would be mind blowing. but never will happen.

I will do a little more researching for if I should get Ipad2. Because after getting the Toshiba Thrive, I been a bit worried about crossing over into this Tablet market.

That brings up another issue. When new Android Tablets come out, how long will it take till that tablet gets app support?

IAm

Reaction score

Thats actually worst. its another Hardware powerhouse that lacks the software. it doesnt even have a back camera.

it suffers from the same problem Android does. Which is why nether of those two OS will beat/close gap with IOS

Are you crazy saying that the WebOs powered HP TouchPad lacks software? I have honestly never heard anybody say Webos is lacking. Its amazing. Like nothing else. As far as the hardware it has the most powerful GHZ processor on the market. In August another TouchPad will arrive with a dual core 1.5 Snapdragon Therefore leading in that aspect. All other specs are almost identical. Only thing HP lacks is the 800,000 or so apps that no 1 person has time in a lifetime to download. All major apps are supported.

OP
knighthonor

knighthonor

Reaction score

Are you crazy saying that the WebOs powered HP TouchPad lacks software? I have honestly never heard anybody say Webos is lacking. Its amazing. Like nothing else. As far as the hardware it has the most powerful GHZ processor on the market. In August another TouchPad will arrive with a dual core 1.5 Snapdragon Therefore leading in that aspect. All other specs are almost identical. Only thing HP lacks is the 800,000 or so apps that no 1 person has time in a lifetime to download. All major apps are supported.

No the software is lacking even compared to Android OS. And the IOS software is already out the park. Lets be honest here. They have many more apps than Android and Palm. Lets not sugarcoat it, because readers come here for honest reviews.

the same problem Android has with software, is a issue also plaguing palm. More of the quality software is made for IOS. nobody can deny that.
In some cases, months later they convert over, and in many cases they dont.

rayw796

Reaction score
That brings up another issue. When new Android Tablets come out, how long will it take till that tablet gets app support?

It should get immediate support based on what OS it has. Yours has 3.? Right? It should have the same market as I have.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My advice would be, software developers follow the hardware. When the hardware improves, so will the software.

The only problem with this theory is, sometimes software developers have to follow what's popular and what's popular is not always what's best.

naknak95

Reaction score
I've had those thoughts too. I know when I bought the Archos 7 Home Tablet, it doesn't have its own market and doesn't run anything I like on Android phones. It depends on what you like, I heard good things about the Motorola Xoom. Look into that, I was thinking about getting one.