REALLY really dumb question - i hope!

pootler

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
nexus, nokia
O.K,

I am trying to switch from a windows car pc to an android version.

To be honest, car pc's are a real dinosaur, so I was hoping for a lot more innovation in the android field.

So '........... I am trying several android car launchers to try to get a feel for things.

I have an allergy ( :) ) to Google services, so do not want any google voice search, or android auto.

Happy with offline maps as well.

I am now finding a problem with what I think should be one of the most basic things - that is , making and receiving calls.

First off, I have a 10 inch android tablet on which I am trialling these apps.

I am connecting my nokia smartphone ( android 11 ) to the tablet via bluetooth.

NOW....... I foolishly thought that android could take care of the rest without much tweaking.

By that i mean, if my phone is connected and sharing contacts, why can't I click on the ''phone ' icons on the apps, and get either 1) a dialler, or 2) a list of contacts??

Am I wrong? - is that not one of the most basic things - to connect your phone to a tablet and use the tablet app to make calls using your connected phone?

I have had no luck doing this , and have found little info on the web.

I am sure I am going mad, but could anyone give me an idiots guide to how to achieve this?

Many Thanks

pootler

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Welcome to the Forum. I could be mistaken but I don't think you can make calls like that from a tablet connected to a phone via Bluetooth. I think the only way that tablet would make a call is if it is SIM capable and it has its own calling plan with your provider. I don't think Android sees it as a "phone capable" connection.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Welcome to the Forum. I could be mistaken but I don't think you can make calls like that from a tablet connected to a phone via Bluetooth. I think the only way that tablet would make a call is if it is SIM capable and it has its own calling plan with your provider. I don't think Android sees it as a "phone capable" connection.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Probably not applicable but...
Samsung Tablets can make/receive calls when connected to a Samsung phone, using a Samsung application w/o a SIM.