I am still confused.

riotgirl626

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have had my Droid 2 for a little over 2 weeks and am still overwhelmed with confusion and some frustration. I've been an iPhone user and jumped at the opportunity to have freedom to do what I want to my phone. Overall the phone is great and I am sure it would be even more amazing if I knew what the heck I was doing. :icon_eek:
I have been looking online for answers to my questions but there are a few things that just don't make sense. Please help!
First-why do you have to press the button on the top of the phone to wake it? Mine sticks on occasion and it gets frustrating trying to make my phone turn on.
Second-when you miss a call how come you don't get missed call displayed on the phone. I can go hrs before I even know I missed a call. It really should come standard on the phone don't ya think? My phone chirps and that is the only indicator that something happened.
Third-is there a way to hid all my apps? I have to scroll through all my apps to find what I am looking for. Can I condense them like iPhone allows?
Fourth-Is there a way to remove the unlock swipe thingy. It's annoying.
Lastly-is there a better version of Facebook? It's horrible! 30 min updates and you can't even add a caption to picture uploads. It was amazing on the iPhone...why not Droid?

I really appreciate the help. Overall this phone blows the iPhone out of the water. I just wish it was a little more user friendly.
Thanks!

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For missed calls there should be a notification in your status bar. I also think there are some apps that will ring every few mins till you check a missed call but I don't know what they're called. As for removing the swipe to unlock you can get an app called no lock from the marketplace. It will make the phone fully unlock after pressing any hardware button. My gf uses it on her Samsung vibrant with satisfied results.

tappin and a talkin

Beka27

Reaction score
And you can hide apps using the home replacement app Launcher Pro. If there are other apps that do this too, I am not sure what they're called, L P is the only one I know of.

And for facebook, there are other apps but you don't honestly want it to update too frequently as this can greatly reduce your battery life. If necessary, you can force an update by pressing menu> refresh.
(from Beka's DX)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If your power button occasionally sticks, that would be a warranty issue. It is not supposed to ever do that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That button shouldn't stick. I'd take it back and get another one.

Another thing to help you out with the screen issue is an app called screebl. That will keep the screen from going to sleep on you when you're in the middle of doing something.

Taegost

Reaction score
If you want to get reliable Facebook updates, there's an app called F+ that I use, it's *really* nice for handling notifications.
As for the missed call notification, if you pull down the notification bar (The bar at the top of the screen) you should see them there.
And I think you should definitely take the phone back, the button shouldn't stick.

OP
riotgirl626

riotgirl626

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. I've installed No Lock, Screebl and am looking into installing Launcher Pro. Thank you for the quick responses!
As for the sticky button, fortunately I purchased my phone through Best Buy and have the protection plan so I can take it back and get another whenever I want. I'll be doing that very soon :)
As for the missed call notification, I know about the tiny-tiny missed call icon in the upper left hand corner of my phone. Personally I think it is easy to overlook and at times I had no idea I even missed a call. I wish there were a way to get notifications on the screen that a call was even missed. Maybe something bigger?
The frustrating thing is that you can literally spend hours looking through apps trying to figure out what you want. There are so many and you just don't know if they are good or not. Plus they are not easy to find at times. How do people find out about the best apps? Trial and error?
Thanks again and have a great New Year everyone!

AlexSB

Reaction score
"Handcent SMS" offers a pop up for your text messages on your home screen, you might want to look into that (I have that feature turned off though). As for the calls I honestly have no idea lol.

But your Droid 2 LED light (the green blinking light) starts blinking when you have a missed notification whether it be a missed call/email/text. After I figured that out all I do from now on is just look at my phone and if the light isn't blinking, then I haven't missed anything.

OP
riotgirl626

riotgirl626

Reaction score
"Handcent SMS" offers a pop up for your text messages on your home screen, you might want to look into that (I have that feature turned off though). As for the calls I honestly have no idea lol.

But your Droid 2 LED light (the green blinking light) starts blinking when you have a missed notification whether it be a missed call/email/text. After I figured that out all I do from now on is just look at my phone and if the light isn't blinking, then I haven't missed anything.

Thanks Alex!
I installed the Handcent SMS last week but I now get duplicate text messages. I can't figure out how to delete the original messenger which came with the phone. I much prefer Handcent. Another thing I have to figure out. LOL

As for the blinking green light...I have green, red, yellow and purple! As to what they do....I dunno. heheheh

AlexSB

Reaction score

Thanks Alex!
I installed the Handcent SMS last week but I now get duplicate text messages. I can't figure out how to delete the original messenger which came with the phone. I much prefer Handcent. Another thing I have to figure out. LOL

As for the blinking green light...I have green, red, yellow and purple! As to what they do....I dunno. heheheh

No problem glad I could help =) to stop getting the duplicate notifications you would go to the stock text messaging app then
Hit the menu button
Messaging settings
Uncheck the Notifications check box

and your gonna stop receiving notifications from the stock messaging app. And for the Light i was just saying to use that as a signal for when you have something missed. So if you see the light blinking, thats how you kno you should check to see what you've missed.

me4droid

Reaction score
handcent allows different colors for different notifications. If you are using that app, those different lights mean something. Look into it under settings on handcent.