I keep hearing how great this phone is, but then I read about all of these "problems"

kfarny

Reaction score
Do I really want to give up my bulletproof Curve, even though it's a little (ok, a lot) dated?
Wifi, battery, set this, switch off that. . . .bal blah.
It was a huge jump from my EnV to the Curve. It was a great experience. Push E-mail, one button Quicklaunch side menu, a keyboard that is still fantastic. All of these things I will miss. Will I miss them too much?
In my playing aroud at the store I found something right away that was irritating. (This is the phone I am leaning to, so this is just my initial impression)
I don't like having to unlock the screen on the D2 every time I hit the power button on top of the phone. If I have to power it up, why do I have to unlock the damn thing every time?

Hmmmm. Got my credit card out, by still havent pulled the trigger.:icon_eek:

Triumphrider

Reaction score
I jumped from a curve 8330 to a storm 1 to the droid. There is a small learning curve to it. I missed my push e-mail and bbm for about and hour. Once I got the hang of it I havent looked back. There are a few down sides about the phone, but no more than any phone that RIM has ever put out. Give it a shot. You always have 30 days to make up your mind.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Reaction score
There are multiple free apps to get rid of the slide lock, I'm using no lock.

wkearney99

Reaction score
Yeah, there are lots of ways to alter the configuration. While getting used to the phone it might be convenient to turn off the slide and unlock features. From a security standpoint it's nice they're turned on by default.

It also takes a bit of use to decide what you like to have on the home screens. It's easy to rearrange things to better suit your expected use. Like putting the camera, gallery and camcorder on the main home page when on vacation at the beach, but moving them off once back at work. Pretty handy.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Yeah, there are lots of ways to alter the configuration. While getting used to the phone it might be convenient to turn off the slide and unlock features. From a security standpoint it's nice they're turned on by default.

It also takes a bit of use to decide what you like to have on the home screens. It's easy to rearrange things to better suit your expected use. Like putting the camera, gallery and camcorder on the main home page when on vacation at the beach, but moving them off once back at work. Pretty handy.

The camera can be launched with the side button, although mine doesn't always work.

wkearney99

Reaction score
The camera can be launched with the side button, although mine doesn't always work.

Yeah, there seems to be something about the sensitivity of the side button that keeps it from bringing up the camera accidentally. Sometimes it takes effort to really get it to open the camera app. Holding it until the haptic shake feedback does seem to work though. But a single tap usually doesn't. If you don't use the camera much, that's a good thing.

Mistah

Reaction score
blackberry user here, 8900 and 8520 and now have a droid1. took just one day to get used to the droid, and now its my most used phone, i barely use the 8900 anymore.

pool_shark

Reaction score

Yeah, there seems to be something about the sensitivity of the side button that keeps it from bringing up the camera accidentally. Sometimes it takes effort to really get it to open the camera app. Holding it until the haptic shake feedback does seem to work though. But a single tap usually doesn't. If you don't use the camera much, that's a good thing.

Same here . . .

I noticed that if the button isn't working, you can launch the camera from the icon, then the button works again. It's very strange.

DFlo

Reaction score
Also came from a BB (tour) a couple of weeks ago. I do miss the keyboard, but I'm getting better on the D2 every day and find it's better than the BB in nearly every other way.

Cylon

Reaction score
I am a long time BB user. Had several of their phones. The only thing I don't like about the Droid 2 is the battery time. If they knew the battery would die soon why didn't they put in a improved batter to keep up with it. I can have mine DEAD in 2hrs of using it normal running things email, texting and nothing streaming.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I am a long time BB user. Had several of their phones. The only thing I don't like about the Droid 2 is the battery time. If they knew the battery would die soon why didn't they put in a improved batter to keep up with it. I can have mine DEAD in 2hrs of using it normal running things email, texting and nothing streaming.

I was at a cookout yesterday, I had been there about 2 hours before touching the Droid, the only thing I have set to poll is one email account via gmail and it checks when it wants.
After 2 hours with no use other than gmail, I was still at 100%.

It's a smartphone and it's going to eat battery, that's just something I've come to accept with my Treo, then my Omnia, and now the Droid 2.
I just charge smartphone more frequently than I did other phones.

OP
K

kfarny

Reaction score
Well, It's done.
It was post #3 that did it. Thanks Pool Shark.
I hope this makes me as happy as my Curve has. I read an interesting article where they were talking about how RIM should switch to an Android platform. If something like that happens, I will probably go back. THAT would be the coolest melding of everything I want.
But, until then, I am the proud almost-owner of a Droid 2. I specifically chose tthat one because I needed the pacifier of an actual keyboard. I'm going to try to avoid using it, but it's there if I become a wuss. My choice until they released that one was the Incredible. But I knew I was going to have to put the gigantobattery on it. If I need to up the battery on this one, what is the largest size I can get to fit the stock location? Anyone? Doesn't really matter I suppose. I WILL probably be upping to a large battery regardless of how the back looks.
Thanks for the advice guys!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, It's done.
It was post #3 that did it. Thanks Pool Shark.
I hope this makes me as happy as my Curve has. I read an interesting article where they were talking about how RIM should switch to an Android platform. If something like that happens, I will probably go back. THAT would be the coolest melding of everything I want.
But, until then, I am the proud almost-owner of a Droid 2. I specifically chose tthat one because I needed the pacifier of an actual keyboard. I'm going to try to avoid using it, but it's there if I become a wuss. My choice until they released that one was the Incredible. But I knew I was going to have to put the gigantobattery on it. If I need to up the battery on this one, what is the largest size I can get to fit the stock location? Anyone? Doesn't really matter I suppose. I WILL probably be upping to a large battery regardless of how the back looks.
Thanks for the advice guys!

I hope you enjoy it too. I'd say most of the issues people have are probably due to a lack of understanding about how their phone works. There will be a learning curve coming from a Blackberry Curve to a Droid 2. If you keep in mind that this is a Google phone you are working with and that everything is tied into Google, you might find that helpful in understanding how the Droid works.