I absolutely HATE the Android Market

banderbe

Reaction score
The Android Market sucks, and I'll tell you why. Ever since putting 2.2 on my Droid, I have had the following problems:

1) Download starts, never finishes.
2) Download finishes, never installs.
3) Canceling an update changes the app in question to "FREE" instead of "Installed" and so I don't get notifications to update that app. It still runs fine on my phone. Its connection to the market appears broken.
4) Attempting to cancel a stalled download often force closes the market app.

Most of the time, downloads, updates, etc., work fine. However the above issues happen at LEAST a few times a week AND I've noticed it's usually the same apps that have problems updating.

I hate the Android Market. They better do some MAJOR work to improve it or it's going to be come an albatross.

Cloppy

Reaction score
Did you try clearing the cache via the recovery or application manager?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you tried clearing your data cache in Market? (applications menu)

Did you update to 2.2 via the OTA or are you running a ROM?

OP
B

banderbe

Reaction score

Yeah I've done that.. nothing.

I'm running CyanogenMod 6.1 RC3 but this has been a consistent problem from day one even running stock 2.2

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Yeah I've done that.. nothing.

I'm running CyanogenMod 6.1 RC3 but this has been a consistent problem from day one even running stock 2.2

Well, not for everyone. I would suggest doing one of the following:

1. Re-install CM6.1
2. Install a different rom (Try Sapphire, Chevy's SS or UD1.0)
3. When you do a download if you've been doing it on 3G, switch and try it on WIFI. Or vice versa.

Good luck (and it really does work great, if a bit slow ocassionally) for millions and millions of folks.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Android Market sucks, and I'll tell you why. Ever since putting 2.2 on my Droid, I have had the following problems:

1) Download starts, never finishes.
2) Download finishes, never installs.
3) Canceling an update changes the app in question to "FREE" instead of "Installed" and so I don't get notifications to update that app. It still runs fine on my phone. Its connection to the market appears broken.
4) Attempting to cancel a stalled download often force closes the market app.

Most of the time, downloads, updates, etc., work fine. However the above issues happen at LEAST a few times a week AND I've noticed it's usually the same apps that have problems updating.

I hate the Android Market. They better do some MAJOR work to improve it or it's going to be come an albatross.
I don't believe it's an issue with the market, but rather your ROM. I never had the issues you mention until LFY but I found that I just had that issue with TiBu. So I would cancel the DL and all others would update fine. Point being, nothing would work until I stopped the ONE that was hanging up, it seemed to hold up the others. Find which one for you and that might be an easy work around. Maybe TiBu for you too.
That being said, maybe it's a app issue and not the ROM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This will fix your issue.
Nope, didn't for me either.

OP
B

banderbe

Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately it doesn't fix anything. I also find it incredibly hard to believe that CyanogenMod is responsible, given that it's far and away the best ROM available for Droid. That and its developers, you know, actually develop software.

All of the other ROMs are just stock builds of AOSP with add ons and themes.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Not sure that it was mentioned. but go into Rom Manager and re-flash the Gapps in cyanogenmod section. It might work.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ROM issue is my belief. Market works fine for millions of other users.

not necessarily the rom itself but could be a bad install... corrupt file... etc.

Market does need polishing but its not anywhere near as dire as OP claims.

*DroidForums app DOES*

OP
B

banderbe

Reaction score
ROM issue is my belief. Market works fine for millions of other users.

not necessarily the rom itself but could be a bad install... corrupt file... etc.

Market does need polishing but its not anywhere near as dire as OP claims.

*DroidForums app DOES*

I don't know if you missed the part in my original post where I mention that this has been a problem since 2.2 first came out.. I've run stock 2.2, Simply Stunning, and now CyanogenMod.. they all have this problem.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
How are you flashing your ROMs? It sounds like you are getting bad or corrupt installs and thus mucking up the system. The other thing is that you have to go into settings>applications>manage applications>market>clear cache and clear data.

Squadalah_man

Reaction score
mountain view, callifornia (home of google and the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately it doesn't fix anything. I also find it incredibly hard to believe that CyanogenMod is responsible, given that it's far and away the best ROM available for Droid. That and its developers, you know, actually develop software.

All of the other ROMs are just stock builds of AOSP with add ons and themes.

Not true, there are several roms built from source that run very well. Too bad durden never got to the point it was going. Don't diss other roms, people work hard on them.

Squadala we are off!

illmatic636

Reaction score
Maybe your not in a 3G area? The more I read your responses to advice, the more I'm thinking this is a ESU issue.