htc vs motorola

c0pterone

Reaction score
15 months ago i switched from at&t (iphone) to verizon (motorola droid) The iphone was very smooth, with that said, hear's my question. Because my motorola droid lags alot and is somewhat slow, i'm thinking of getting the htc thunderbolt vs the motorola bionic. I just don't know about motorola anymore. When it comes to smooth, is htc better then motorola.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
the atrix had a lot of software crap that IMO id seriously stay away from. Like they removed the ability to install third party apps. How can you install the Amazon app store or any other thing like that? You cant. :( I know your talking about the bionic but i cant really tell you much about that... Id go Htc or one of the other dual cores. LG Revolution looks pretty sweet.

patfactorx

Reaction score
Motorola has the best build quality IMO. My friends have HTC phones but nothing like my old D1 or D2G.

I need a good speaker on my phone and Motorola kills the competition.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to us clearly?

What do you need explained? IMO Moto has better hardware and they really do make it good. Their software though kills. Blur is ick and they lock it tight. Bloatware some of which is unstallable and not installing third party apps. The bootloader is heavy encrypted.

HTC has IMO a cheaper feeling phone but Sense is just all around the better than any other UI. They are easier to hack than Motos bootloader.
In a nutshell
Moto Hardware>Htc
Htc softare>Moto
Take your pick. :)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lag is a problem with the Android OS in general. I don't think that it makes the phone hard to use, and at most times it is very minimal, but the iPhone is much smoother in this regard.

It isn't a Motorola or HTC thing, although bloat from a manufacturer can make the inherent lagginess of Android even worse...

EgooEspada

Reaction score
The hardware is much great with Motorola; no competition. The Sense UI on HTC phones are great, but the new Blur on the Bionic is greatly improved.

Sent from my Droid

spillner

Reaction score
HTC seems to runner smoother IMO. I have the original Droid and I feel your pain with the lag (which is why I'm rooted now). The 2 big phones that my friends have are the EVO and the Incredible and both run very well. My next phone will not be a Moto, I played with the D2 and X at the store and was completely underwhelmed by their performance, especially when they're sporting 1gig processors.

I will say though that the build quality is superior with Moto.

ViolentSage

Reaction score
I'm jumping on the same platform as everyone else here. I had a Motorola Q9m as my first and previous smartphone. The windows mobile killed it but the phone itself was almost indestructible. I got the OG Droid about 15 months ago and only rooted it in January. The bootloader is a serious concern because after playing around with my Droid I can't go back to a stock phone. So if you're looking to root and hack, go with HTC, but if you want a durable, long lasting, hearty phone go with Motorola.

from beyond the rabbit hole

googlelover

Reaction score
The reason the droid has lag is because of its lack of ram, it only has 256 with roughly only 126 for apps to use, and that runs out very quickly which causes the lag. Any new phone with more ram should be able to run with a lot less lag, personally the phone I want is the bionic, hdmi out dual core ffc and more its great and looks a lot better then the thunderbolt which is already outdated in my opinion. And many of the posts in here are misinformed, motorola does allow the installing of 3rd party apps atnt does NOT, we do not know if the bionic will have a locked bootloader or an unlockable one like the xoom yet, and the og droid does NOT have a locked bootloader. I will say I like htc sense more than blur, but I can't live with crappy htc build quality or with outdated specs. Hope all that helps.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The reason the droid has lag is because of its lack of ram, it only has 256 with roughly only 126 for apps to use, and that runs out very quickly which causes the lag. Any new phone with more ram should be able to run with a lot less lag, personally the phone I want is the bionic, hdmi out dual core ffc and more its great and looks a lot better then the thunderbolt which is already outdated in my opinion. And many of the posts in here are misinformed, motorola does allow the installing of 3rd party apps atnt does NOT, we do not know if the bionic will have a locked bootloader or an unlockable one like the xoom yet, and the og droid does NOT have a locked bootloader. I will say I like htc sense more than blur, but I can't live with crappy htc build quality or with outdated specs. Hope all that helps.

It is more than that, as the Xoom and just about every Android device on the market, has lag. It has more to do with how it processes and accelerates video than memory.

googlelover

Reaction score

It is more than that, as the Xoom and just about every Android device on the market, has lag. It has more to do with how it processes and accelerates video than memory.
Sorry, was just going off what I know, and it was my assumption it had more to do with ram.

fallaciez

Reaction score

I've had the HTC Incredible, the Samsung Fascinate,
but currently have the Motorola Droid X
and i have had the iPad tablet,
but currently the XOOM

and,
I've never understood much of what ppl had against Motorola (possibly becuse i started using their android OS phones so late)

The X does not lag,
***the Samsung Fascinate lags bad. (probably because it still doesn't have the 2.2 Froyo update)

I agree that when i received the 2.2 OS update for the X, the phone did get noticeably faster, but it never lagged bad to begin with... i think there must have been a % of users who had extreme circumstances...

HTC seems to always have less to offer, rather than it's smooth scrolling abilities..

my XOOM has absolutely no lag... even though i usually worry about the fact that it does not customarily close apps... they linger in the background... however, it is always operating at SNAP speeds.

I personally would suggest the Bionic,
but would incourage you to wait - as to see where motorola's plans are on the bootloader, etc.

i've yet to have the time to do more than a simple ROOT on my phone; but a friend on mine rooted, and has downloaded ROMS to and other things, once they bootloaders were crack-able... and his phone is amazingly fast...

for me... the X has no lag, the scroll and other things look faulty, mostly do to software... but scrolling is not a big issue for me... yes it looks nicer when scrolling is smooth (iPhone 4 has damn near flawless scrolling), however, i wouldn't settle for a HTC on scrolling alone.

maybe in the past Motorola had bad lag issues, but i see none to complain about, currently.

simply:
IF motorola does not lock, or does not create an overly complicated encryption on their bootloader,
THEN you should get the Bionic, because the better specs, and the custome ROMs (software) that will come out will make it 10x better than the HTC...

you welcome.

samiusmc

Reaction score
15 months ago i switched from at&t (iphone) to verizon (motorola droid) The iphone was very smooth, with that said, hear's my question. Because my motorola droid lags alot and is somewhat slow, i'm thinking of getting the htc thunderbolt vs the motorola bionic. I just don't know about motorola anymore. When it comes to smooth, is htc better then motorola.

If I were you I'd keep my OG Droid for now, root it and install the LGB 1.42 Gingerbread ROM. There's no lag and it will blow away most new phones out there.

Olonga11

Reaction score
I will always prefer HTC rather than Motorola phone...Because HTC is much more faster then it and it has better graphics, and softwares...I has been using HTC desire for the last three months...And thats why today I am suggesting you to go for it...