HTC UNLOCKING Bootloaders!

I guess all the fun you were having schooling idealists was merely an intellectual pursuit. The times, they are a'changin'. Czerdrill with a positive comment, hallelujah.

sent from Dali's moustache.

Lol my influence on these forums sure are amazing...

Hell has officially frozen over, check this out, Moto is following suite:

Motorola To Provide Unlocked Bootloaders On Future Android Phones
By Julian Horsey on Wednesday 27th April 2011 2:10 pm in Android, Mobile Phones, Technology News
It has been announced by Motorola that it will start to provide unlocked bootloaders on its future Android phones. The new bootloaders are expected to appear on Android devices later in the year, and have been one of the most requested apps by Motorola Android users in recent months.

Bootloader.jpg

It now looks like Motorola has now started to listen to its users.

We completely understand the operator requirement for security to the end user, and as well, want to support the developer communities desire to use these products as a development platform. It is our intention to enable the unlockable/relockable bootloader currently found on Motorola XOOM across our portfolio of devices starting in late 2011, where carriers and operators will allow it.

Will Moss, Director of Communications – North Asia, in Motorola Mobility, confirmed to Ausdroid in an communication:

“I can confirm that the quote you have is accurate, but I can’t add anything at this time other than that further information will be released via MOTODEV (MOTODEV) as it becomes available.”

Source : Ausdroid : Image from idiaocha

Hell has officially frozen over, check this out, Moto is following suite:

Motorola To Provide Unlocked Bootloaders On Future Android Phones
By Julian Horsey on Wednesday 27th April 2011 2:10 pm in Android, Mobile Phones, Technology News
It has been announced by Motorola that it will start to provide unlocked bootloaders on its future Android phones. The new bootloaders are expected to appear on Android devices later in the year, and have been one of the most requested apps by Motorola Android users in recent months.

Bootloader.jpg

It now looks like Motorola has now started to listen to its users.

We completely understand the operator requirement for security to the end user, and as well, want to support the developer communities desire to use these products as a development platform. It is our intention to enable the unlockable/relockable bootloader currently found on Motorola XOOM across our portfolio of devices starting in late 2011, where carriers and operators will allow it.

Will Moss, Director of Communications – North Asia, in Motorola Mobility, confirmed to Ausdroid in an communication:

“I can confirm that the quote you have is accurate, but I can’t add anything at this time other than that further information will be released via MOTODEV (MOTODEV) as it becomes available.”

Source : Ausdroid : Image from idiaocha

This is a little old and was discussed before. They have their little escape clause in there with "where carriers allow it" and that'll be the same case with htc. Hopefully verizon will allow it.

This is a little old and was discussed before. They have their little escape clause in there with "where carriers allow it" and that'll be the same case with htc. Hopefully verizon will allow it.

Oh my bad I thought it was April still, haha! Date threw me off...anyhow if manufactures stop letting themselves be singled out and agree to hold their ground than what choice is any carrier going to have but to allow rootable devices on their network? As a carrier it's an unrealistic expectation to demand something like this be disabled that an ever growing user-base now demands be enabled.

Oh my bad I thought it was April still, haha! Date threw me off...anyhow if manufactures stop letting themselves be singled out and agree to hold their ground than what choice is any carrier going to have but to allow rootable devices on their network? As a carrier it's an unrealistic expectation to demand something like this be disabled that an ever growing user-base now demands be enabled.

You're right but I would think the OEMs need verizon more then verizon needs them...so it might come down to them having no choice but agreeing. Vzw does seem to be getting lax though. Five years ago would you ever think vzw would allow navigation to be given away for free? Haha...

You're right but I would think the OEMs need verizon more then verizon needs them...so it might come down to them having no choice but agreeing. Vzw does seem to be getting lax though. Five years ago would you ever think vzw would allow navigation to be given away for free? Haha...

Not necessarily, it's a symbiotic relationship...don't underestimate the power of numbers. The only time that the power shifts is when OEM's separate from other OEM's to go against the grain and either favor the consumer or the provider. Verizon legally has to treat all of their OEM's equally so it's all or nothing, they can't say "YOU THERE, MOTOROLA, EITHER YOU COMPLY OR WE DROP YOU!", they say it to the industry as a whole, either they make demands or they don't and if they do they suffer the potential consequences...but if all the OEM's say NO, we're going to do this anyway because that's what consumers WANT and the movement turns the tides against Verizon, they can't enforce their demands and remain in buisness...Apple alone will not sustain Verizon Wireless and Apple is the only OEM I'd say actually WANTS this to happen to thwart competition.

This is a great move for HTC. I wonder how this is going to affect the devices already out like the thunderbolts etc. Hopefully they just put the keys in one of the next few OTA's. I'm going to have a long relationship with HTC.
agreed 100+

I guess all the fun you were having schooling idealists was merely an intellectual pursuit. The times, they are a'changin'. Czerdrill with a positive comment, hallelujah.

Amazing may not be the best way to characterize your influence. But hyperbolic, overwrought, static, hand wringing pessimists, such as yourself, ultimately benefit from bold, brave individualists. You are welcome.

I see this as inspiration in the battle with Motorolla for the same result. A lot of people felt it was a futile effort....but I think this shows that it is not.

Not necessarily, it's a symbiotic relationship...don't underestimate the power of numbers. The only time that the power shifts is when OEM's separate from other OEM's to go against the grain and either favor the consumer or the provider. Verizon legally has to treat all of their OEM's equally so it's all or nothing, they can't say "YOU THERE, MOTOROLA, EITHER YOU COMPLY OR WE DROP YOU!", they say it to the industry as a whole, either they make demands or they don't and if they do they suffer the potential consequences...but if all the OEM's say NO, we're going to do this anyway because that's what consumers WANT and the movement turns the tides against Verizon, they can't enforce their demands and remain in buisness...Apple alone will not sustain Verizon Wireless and Apple is the only OEM I'd say actually WANTS this to happen to thwart competition.

Sure they can. Apple was shown preference over the other OEMs. There's nothing that says all OEMs have to be treated equally. While it may not be as extreme as "comply or we drop you", it can be as simple as "no", and we've yet to see an oem not comply with a carrier, have we?

My point is, yes it's a symbiotic relationship but I don't see one oem refusing to comply with the carriers, let alone ALL oems banding together against a carrier...

This is awesome news, but Verizon has the ultimate say, but it does look like they're ok with it based on the revolution or charge. We'll see how this plays out. Either way, htc is not going to say "fine we don't need verizon anymore" and just withdraw all their devices from a carrier that they've sold tons of phones through.

Amazing may not be the best way to characterize your influence. But hyperbolic, overwrought, static, hand wringing pessimists, such as yourself, ultimately benefit from bold, brave individualists. You are welcome.

Nah I think I had it right...your name is vaguely familiar to me although I'd be lying if I said I remember you. You, on the other hand, immediately recognized me and made a comment about me. Clearly I've influenced you and on a forum with over 100000 members that's amazing. I am flattered. If you'd like, you can refresh my memory on who you are :D

Clearly I've influenced you and on a forum with over 200000 members that's amazing. I am flattered. If you'd like, you can refresh my memory on who you are :D

Fixed it for ya ;)

Back