HTC Droid Incredible 2 Gets Official Press Release; Coming April 28th for $200

Fightnfire

Reaction score
In saying that, it's silly lol.

I'm waiting for one of the dual core 4g phones ... but I'd also buy the SI, well actually the speed3 but yea :p

Jeyman

Reaction score
Sometimes you guys make me chuckle.

People will buy it because not everyone reads the Droid forums and wants the best of the best. For a person who isn't or doesn't want cutting edge this is a great smartphone for them. Dual core processor .. for what? Bigger screen ... that doesn't fit in my pocket nicely. 4G omg!! .... not in my area.

Most people who visit forums and actively chat about a product are cutting edge and the top percentage of that consumer base, product education wise. This phone will sell simply because it's an Incredible 2 ... and a lot of people, not on these forums, will buy it because they loved their Incredible 1.

But why sell and support a phone that is the same as what you already offer?

Either way, VZW is taking your $100 a month for your plan. The less phones they have to subsidize and support, the better their profit margins would be.

I know that people want choices and all that, but I just wonder at what point they will hit the tipping point.

The TB had battery issues. Whether it is a design flaw, an OS issue or just too small of a battery. They knew about it, and they sold it anyway because they had a deadline. So it was better to push a defective phone to market than it was to push a quality phone to market.

All the hype around the Bionic, and for what? How many millions did that blunder cost them?

I guess that I just get irritated when you see companies like VZW going crazy with the "New New New spend money on this please we are desperate!!!" sales pitch, and half their crap is either half-baked, still-born or a mild rehash of last year's model that you will be stick with until 2013...

I think a couple of reasons actually. There are a lot of people that just want a solid, sleek phone that works well and costs less.

Again I go back to the car manufacturer Honda. Look at the Civic and the Civic SI. There are FAR more civics sold than SI's .... why? Reliability, comfort and cost. A lot of people look at the SI's but in the end they make a conscious decision to buy the standard Civic. It's not as new, actually the same for 5-7 years at a time, it's not as fast, not as pretty and way less technology inside. But, it's what I NEED. Not what I want.

This phone is a solid phone, great for someone who doesn't want to pay $250 or $300, doesn't want to have to deal with some unknown issues .. ie: The TB battery and 3G/4G issues. (My wife didn't care about the battery, but we and many others had huge 3G issues)

For a lot of people who NEED a smartphone for work or whatever this phone is perfect. They don't need a dual core processor, or a 4.3" screen, or 4G, or any of the other new technology offered. Those are WANTS, but not NEEDS.

We as readers of this forum inherently buy what we WANT. Not what we really need.

It's funny to blame VZ or phones companies in general for pumping out technology to fast. Yet, in this same forum ... thread .. I can point out people who are waiting for the Dual core 4G phones. Phone companies are just pumping out what people want. Supply and Demand.

It may be a good phone but its such a small upgrade that its hard to see why you would buy it. If you want a good phone there are TONS of them out there.
-iphone
-droid inc 1
-Droid 2 Global

All fine phones that really are as good as this(well not as good but close) and cost less

People are not fighting that its a bad phone, they are saying why pay $200 for this phone when you can snag a TB with the extra battery for less. You then get 4g a 32GB card, a phone that lasts all day all for less money still.

People found us a way to turn off the 4g and make it last even longer. You still get all the other perks with longer life(if you need it)

If say amazon comes out and posts this at $100 id then say its a very fair price and worth it. As of now its just not.

gsdreams

Reaction score
For all those saying buy a "TB" you do realize the TB is "NOT GLOBAL CAPABLE" right?

This will only be the third global capable android on the market for Verizon. The Droid 2, Droid Pro, and now the Incredible 2.

That is why people will buy this phone.

As for new people entering the market, well maybe for smart phones but not much for actual new customers to the cell phone market. I would say in excess of 80% of Verizons new customers are people switching from different providers. For the most part the cell phone market is completely saturated now.

Now, as for 3G vrs 4G, many people don't care about the speed difference and if its not in thier area they don't want it anyways. Many people don't bother to look up and see when 4G is coming either and even then, if they know it is coming, there are many business/end users who want to wait and make sure it is all stable and good before moving to 4G.

The Incredible 2 to the Incredible is like the Droid 2 Global is to the Droid 2. Not much of a difference, but enough to put a lot of value in business users who travel.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
For all those saying buy a "TB" you do realize the TB is "NOT GLOBAL CAPABLE" right?

This will only be the third global capable android on the market for Verizon. The Droid 2, Droid Pro, and now the Incredible 2.

That is why people will buy this phone.

As for new people entering the market, well maybe for smart phones but not much for actual new customers to the cell phone market. I would say in excess of 80% of Verizons new customers are people switching from different providers. For the most part the cell phone market is completely saturated now.

Now, as for 3G vrs 4G, many people don't care about the speed difference and if its not in thier area they don't want it anyways. Many people don't bother to look up and see when 4G is coming either and even then, if they know it is coming, there are many business/end users who want to wait and make sure it is all stable and good before moving to 4G.

The Incredible 2 to the Incredible is like the Droid 2 Global is to the Droid 2. Not much of a difference, but enough to put a lot of value in business users who travel.

Well said, business users must be the target audience...or importers.

jrodizkool01

Reaction score
I'm sure that even a basic person with no cell phone knowledge would get the TB over this. at the verizon store by me, the TB is $220. $20 more for a much better phone that will have to last you 2 years

gsdreams

Reaction score
Customer: I'm taking a vacation this year to europe and really want my phone to work, but I want to upgrade to a Android Phone.

Sales Rep: Great, we have 3 phones that will work in Europe, the Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, or the Incredible 2.

Business: I have a lot of employees using Blackberry Global phones, but I'm tired of paying for the BES. I would like to move to something that will sync with our exchange server, but I need to keep the global capabilities as many of my employees travel overseas regularly.

Sales rep: We have three android based phones that will do everything you would like.

Ok, now want to tell me why this phone won't sell?

Godfather

Reaction score
I think that the phone companies are out of control. They are working at such a frantic pace to get phones to market before the competition that they either release phones that have serious issues(HTC TB), or they end up releasing a phone that is already obsolete(Incredible 2), or they scrap the phone entirely(Bionic)...

They need to slow the pace down. We don't need a revolutionary new phone every 5 months. I would rather have a new line of phones hit every January for the coming year, but know that they have the bugs worked out(TB battery life), or that the OS will actually be able to make use of the hardware(dual-core not supported by current OS), etc...

But to release a phone takes time, to contract with the manufacturer, spec it out, test it, build it, get the OS ready, set up the infrastructure and support channels, markets it, distribute it and sell it... That process has it's own cycle and time frame, and when they are trying to release phones on a cycle that is faster than that, the above problems that I listed are what we the consumers get screwed with...

Phones that we wait for and get scrapped, phones that we buy and the battery won't last more than 4 hours unless you disable all the features that you bought the phone for in the first place, phones that we purchase and are told that we won't get to use the second core till next year after the phone's replacement will be released.

It really is a stupid cycle that they are on. They need to be more strategic about this.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!

joemustang

Reaction score
I'm getting it... I think.. I can't wait any longer for a duel core. Bionic has disappeared and now the targa is set for sometime in summer? I just can't wait any longer. My D1 is painfully slow even rooted compared to all these new stock phones coming out.

First off, if you guys have read the reviews of the Incredible S, the battery life is getting outstanding marks. Which for me, is a MUST. The TB battery life is too weak. They should of put a bigger battery in it and 4g is a battery hog as well. Also sure 4g is the same price as 3g right now, but nobody knows how much it will be in the future.

I think a 4" screen is a sweet spot right now. Nothing wrong with 4.3 but for me I personally feel it is too big.

I also think the design is pretty sleek. It has "Droid" written all over it.

The guys at Engaget are saying the screen is pretty comparable to Apples Retina display which I drool over.

The guy with the Honda SI comparison... Exactly how I feel. The incredible 2 is more reliable than the TB IMO.

Now, if the duel cores do eventually come out in the summer, and I HAVE to have one I have another upgrade in the fall.

but right now, anything is better than my OG droid.

joemustang

Reaction score
Oh and I also agree about the phone companies pumping out too many phones. They need to get the existing phones on the latests builds. I think it is pretty ridiculous that an update is released and then they crank out more phones without upgrading the old ones first. There is way too many phones and if you ask me, android is growing WAY too fast. this is going to lead to quality control issues.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I'm getting it... I think.. I can't wait any longer for a duel core. Bionic has disappeared and now the targa is set for sometime in summer? I just can't wait any longer. My D1 is painfully slow even rooted compared to all these new stock phones coming out.

First off, if you guys have read the reviews of the Incredible S, the battery life is getting outstanding marks. Which for me, is a MUST. The TB battery life is too weak. They should of put a bigger battery in it and 4g is a battery hog as well. Also sure 4g is the same price as 3g right now, but nobody knows how much it will be in the future.

I think a 4" screen is a sweet spot right now. Nothing wrong with 4.3 but for me I personally feel it is too big.

I also think the design is pretty sleek. It has "Droid" written all over it.

The guys at Engaget are saying the screen is pretty comparable to Apples Retina display which I drool over.

The guy with the Honda SI comparison... Exactly how I feel. The incredible 2 is more reliable than the TB IMO.

Now, if the duel cores do eventually come out in the summer, and I HAVE to have one I have another upgrade in the fall.

but right now, anything is better than my OG droid.

I was in the same boat as yours about the INC2. However, I bit the bullet and got my TB. No regrets at all. I am rooted and running BAMF 1.5. Fast and stable. Battery life is excellent. I am getting anywhere between 15 hours to 18 hours on a single charge. Depending what my usage is. :icon_ banana:

mach330

Reaction score
i do like the 4" screen and the ffc. i think it's quite a step up from dinc. if the battery life is that great and screen is much improved. i think i'm gonna like this phone.

SoDak

Reaction score
I think that the phone companies are out of control. They are working at such a frantic pace to get phones to market before the competition that they either release phones that have serious issues(HTC TB), or they end up releasing a phone that is already obsolete(Incredible 2), or they scrap the phone entirely(Bionic)...

They need to slow the pace down. We don't need a revolutionary new phone every 5 months. I would rather have a new line of phones hit every January for the coming year, but know that they have the bugs worked out(TB battery life), or that the OS will actually be able to make use of the hardware(dual-core not supported by current OS), etc...

But to release a phone takes time, to contract with the manufacturer, spec it out, test it, build it, get the OS ready, set up the infrastructure and support channels, markets it, distribute it and sell it... That process has it's own cycle and time frame, and when they are trying to release phones on a cycle that is faster than that, the above problems that I listed are what we the consumers get screwed with...

Phones that we wait for and get scrapped, phones that we buy and the battery won't last more than 4 hours unless you disable all the features that you bought the phone for in the first place, phones that we purchase and are told that we won't get to use the second core till next year after the phone's replacement will be released.

It really is a stupid cycle that they are on. They need to be more strategic about this.

I agree 100%... it is a marketing gimmick anymore these days. I won't be replacing my incredible with the 2 for any reason... Although I wouldn't consider myself amongst the power users either. Others may see the value I fail to be able to justify.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I personally have no issue with this phone, yes it's a mild upgrade from the DI but enough to warrant an upgrade and if you don't have 4G in your area then I don't see a huge downside. The dual core issue is overblown, it would be nice to have dual core but for avg joe they won't know the difference because this will still play angrybrids...

DaWolf85

Reaction score
This phone looks like it has a permanent case on it - this is one phone it really feels like there is no point in using a case with :D

ZBacks

Reaction score
I am one of the "dummies" that will get this phone over the TB.

Specs are almost the same between the two phone except for the size of the screen and the removable memory card.

The global capablilties are the key feature for me, Inc2 has it and the TB doesnt. Why the dual core issue is being talked about here is nonsense neither phone has dual core.

Unless I am missing some crazy spec that the TB has over the Inc2 besides screen SD Card and 4G, the Inc2 is the choice for me.