HP Touchpad Explosion! Perfect Source of Useful Info on The Now Popular Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
touchpadwelcome.png

For many of you guys, the thought of grabbing an Android Tablet for $400 or more, or even $300 may be just a bit too much. Recently, there has been an explosion of interest in a tablet that is not technically Android, but could soon be Android, and that is the HP Touchpad. For those that missed the news, the HP Touchpad with it's own HP custom operating system is now defunct. The company shelved the project at a cost of over $1 Billion dollars, because they couldn't get it going. In the interim they had a massive "fire sale" on the device, blowing it out for only $99 bucks. Many intrepid and creative forward-thinking folks saw this as an opportunity to potentially get a super-cheap Tablet that might have the potential to host a hacked version of Android.

That hasn't happened for the masses yet, but technically it has happened. Supposedly, Qualcomm was able to cram a working version of Android 2.2 on to the HP Touchpad, which shows that it is technically possible. So, now that you can see the possibilities, and for those of you who already jumped upon this opportunity, we wanted to share our HPTouchPadForums.net website as the definitive repository of information on the device. In fact, thanks to one of our best admins, and all around amazing guy, wicked, we now have a thread of incredibly useful information for folks to be able to get their hands on one of these devices. Going to a great deal of trouble, wicked, compiled a huge list of available retail outlets and corporate chains for you to have an opportunity to purchase one of these devices for yourself. But, you have to hurry folks, as they are running out quickly! Here's his link below, and don't forget to check out and help create even more info regarding this device @ HPTouchPadForums.net!

Source: HPTouchPadForums.net - HP Touchpad Availability Status Updates

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I would absolutely grab one for $99, if I had $99 handy. Just moved so all my money is gone for the month. I'm hoping I can fine one after I get paid. I want it for the price, not so much because Andy can be put on it. WebOS wasn't that bad from what I saw.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yeah guys. I hope many of the people who picked one up head over. We're working on getting alot of info regarding the Android hack as well as just usefull webOS stuff. Its going to be a unique place for sure and we look forward to seeing some familiar faces over there!!

end of line...

bigdad63

Reaction score
Yeah guys. I hope many of the people who picked one up head over. We're working on getting alot of info regarding the Android hack as well as just usefull webOS stuff. Its going to be a unique place for sure and we look forward to seeing some familiar faces over there!!

end of line...

I am a little torn. I really like the webOS, I wouldn't even think of changing it if it wasn't for the potential lack of support and apps. Best $99 I have spent in a while.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
web os is awesome on a tab, really wish hp had included the gesture area from the pre though' perfect way to keep finger prints off a screen...also need some arrows on this keyboard...

i got two , so I'd be down for android on one...

Kershaw

Reaction score
I went over to http://www.hptouchpadforums.net and was looking to see if there were still any touchpads available but there is so much information there, that I can't find if there is any available or not. Does anyone know right now if I can purchase one of these anywhere?

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From everything I have been reading, unless you are on the few websites expecting to get a restock and mashing F5 all day, your best bet is going to be finding out the scheduled delivery dates at brick-n-mortars in your area and being at the right place at the right time. I've heard people have had luck at best buy, office depot, target, Walmart... all the usual places.

Kershaw

Reaction score
From everything I have been reading, unless you are on the few websites expecting to get a restock and mashing F5 all day, your best bet is going to be finding out the scheduled delivery dates at brick-n-mortars in your area and being at the right place at the right time. I've heard people have had luck at best buy, office depot, target, Walmart... all the usual places.

Thanks, it looks like I will be making some phone calls today.

jseah

Reaction score
My friend stood on line this morning at a Best Buy in Michigan. They got 35 16GB models and 10 32GB models in. By the time they got to her, they only had 16's left and they were limiting it to one per customer. She picked up one.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if HP is seeing this madness and wondering what might have happened if they had offered this tablet with Honeycomb and priced it at $249?

People are buying these things up as fast as they can find them. I am sure that some people are buying as many as they can to resell on eBay, or wait till they can install Android to them and then sell them on eBay.

That's some nice hardware for $99!

markwebb

Reaction score
Pleasant surprise this AM.

I ordered 2 Touchpads during the fire sale in August: 1 from Best Buy and 1 from HP.

Best Buy shipped one while that same week I got a cancellation email from HP, though they did confirm receiving the order.

Lo and behold, this AM I received an email from HP claiming my 16 GB Touchpad order is due to ship within 2 weeks. I called the 800 number referenced and customer service confirmed - not a hoax. In fact, it includes free shipping.

Again, a pleasant surprise as I really thought my order was cancelled and gone forever.
hptouchemail.jpg
Lends credence to the reports another batch is appearing late October for order. :)

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
For those who were able to get one or anticipating one from HP, be sure to join our sister site at HP Touchpad Forum