HOWTO: Flash The Droid To Any Network (PRL)

fbullet89

Reaction score
Does this work for the droid x or no I really need to know can't affored to keep paying verison these rediciolus bills I just got one for 424 and I only have 2 phones on my plan droidx and lg ally. Please any info on how to flash these phones to metro pcs please pm were I can find these methods or explain in thread thank you

Droidx

Mandypants

Reaction score
Metro PCS say it's illegal to flash phone????!!!!

Hi can some one please clear this up for me I am buying a Droid 2 but I am sick of Verizons outrageous costs. I wan to go to MPCS . When I called a Representative @ MPCS about it they says they do not allow it cause its illegal and they have contracts w/ other top wirless companies if they break them they will be closed. she began to tell me they have their own Droids for purchase now from LG and Samsung as she started to quote me the $100's price range for this :icon_evil:. I was lucky to get my droid pre-owned certified for $79-dancedroid so yeah that's not going to happen any day soon.
So can any one tell me does this just sound like up sale BS or any one eles having probs w/ MPCS now?
Oh and can you get Wifi hotspots on your Droid using MPCS if this still works?

wave

Reaction score
Okay, so after much digging around various forums I think I'll write a howto for self-flashing the Motorola Droid. Keep in mind all I've got so far is the PRL flashing so if you've gotten that far this isn't for you. I'll update this as I go to hopefully get a fully flashed (and open method) phone.

Required Software:
  • Motorola USB Driver (Found here)
  • HW Virtual Serial Port (Found here)
  • CMDA Workshop (Can be found... wandering the net...)

Step 1: Enable Diagnostic Mode

In order to flash any information to the phone it needs to be running in Diagnostic Mode. To accomplish this we need to first turn the phone off, but to make it easier plug the USB cable in before you do. Then press and hold the 't' key and then turn the phone on. Although I don't know for sure, don't let go of the 't' key until you see the "DROID" animation start up. On your computer a new device will appear and Windows will install it as a Motorola USB Network Device. If you run 'ipconfig' in the command prompt you'll see a new network device with an assigned IP address kinda like 192.168.16.1 (this is what I had). Keep this IP in mind.

Step 2: Create a Virtual Serial Port

So now that you've got your phone connected you have to have a way of accessing it. All of the software that is used to write to CDMA phones and the likes utilize the COM ports so we'll have to make our own!

Fire up HW VSP and click the Login button. As it says on the bottom of the window, the default password is "admin". Navigate to the Settings tab and UNCHECK the setting called NVT Enabled. Leave everything else as-is and go back to the Virtual Serial Port tab. Select a COM port to utilize (I'd recommend a higher one to avoid possible conflicts) and then recall the IP that you found in the previous step. If your IP was 192.168.16.1 (like mine) then you'll type in 192.168.16.2 as the IP address to connect to. So the general rule (as I've gathered) is to increment your IP by one and you'll find the phone. Finally put 11008 as the port number and click Create.

Step 3: Using CDMA Workshop and Flashing

When you first start CDMA Workshop you'll be on the "Main" tab which contains the connection settings. Under COM Settings (AT Mode) you'll have to change the Port to the COM Port you selected in the previous step. Leave the Baud rate at 115200 and then click Connect.

The status bar on the bottom will say something along the lines "Connected to COM5 port successfully". Now you'll need to navigate to the Security tab and under SPC type in 000000 in the box. Next click SPC -> Send. This will unlock the phone for editing. A dialog will pop up to let you know as well ;)

Finally we need to head on over to the Other tab where you'll find the PRL section. I would recommend Reading the NAM1 out of your phone before you do anything in case you need to restore the original settings. I named mine after the actual PRL version (51831) and you can find your version in the Settings -> About phone -> Status section of your phone.

After you've saved it Feel free to flash any PRL from any network you want into NAM1 to become a member of that network. You can find PRL's on HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource (as well as most of the information I've collected).

After flashing, quit CDMA Workshop and it will ask if you wish to send Mode Reset to the phone to apply changes (this restarts the phone) say yes and watch the Droid reboot. After it comes back, dial *228 on the phone and follow your carrier's instructions for updating the PRL to the latest version. This is also your way of verifying your flash worked.

KEEP IN MIND THIS THREAD:HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Esn Adding and Flashing.

I'll update this post as I go along in order to (hopefully) write a complete guide.
i try every last step and it still dont work wat can i be doing wrong wat is th rite prl

nikasont

Reaction score
Help please??

I'm stuck too.
I get to SPC > Send and it says Failed.. Phone does not answer.
I have it running 2.2, don't know if that makes a difference.
Also I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have MetroPcs service already??
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

I'm having the same problem as this person had with it failing to send spc?? If anyone could please tell me what I'm doing wrong i'd really appreciate it. I've been trying to figure it out for at least an hour now... :confused:

pinkmini

Reaction score
On step one, when rebooting my phone holding t i get a bootloader menu that says:

Bootloader
2C.6C

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB

. ipconfig shows no new device and the motorola firmware does not install. 2.2 rooted droid on verizon

I have the same issue as above. I see no one has answered in on this. Please help if you can. I do not currently have service on the phone at all so really I dont see how I can get an ip address for it. Im running win 7 64 bit and all the moto drivers install fine.

Also the instructions say to hold the t button when powering on until u see the droid animation but i never get that it just starts right away into diagnostic. I have a droid 2 also so idk if thats why but the instructions dont specifically say this wont work on d2. Any help is appreciated thanks