How to wipe out all contacts on phone?

gprichardson1

Reaction score
Hi all,

However Verizon copied my contacts from my old phone onto the droid was such a way that they never synced with my gmail account. I've since gotten myself into such a mess by exporting my contacts from my phone then importing those into gmail, and then syncing. Now when I edit each contact there are two sections in the contact: "from <my email> @ gmail.com" and "Phone-only (unsynced) contact".

What I want to do is wipe out ALL the contacts on my phone. I've saved off a vcf file of my contacts. I'll also wipe out gmail, then either import them into the phone or into gmail and have everything sync.

Does anyone know an easy way to wipe all the contacts off my phone in one shot? It'd be a real pain to have to delete each contact individually.

Thanks for any help!

-Gary

RichStevenson

Reaction score
Contacts|Menu|Select your Gmail account and click the Remove Account button. If there are contacts left over after that, you'll probably have to manually delete each of them. Or if that Phone Only you mentioned is listed also, you might be able to select and delete that too?

[email protected]

Reaction score
Contacts|Menu|Select your Gmail account and click the Remove Account button. If there are contacts left over after that, you'll probably have to manually delete each of them. Or if that Phone Only you mentioned is listed also, you might be able to select and delete that too?

hi,
i actually have the same problem but im unable to remove my gmail account, im getting this message:

"this account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults..."

is there a way i can wipe out my contacts with out resetting the phone to its original settings and losing all my apps?

thanks for your help,

KevinJ

Reaction score
hi,
i actually have the same problem but im unable to remove my gmail account, im getting this message:

"this account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults..."

is there a way i can wipe out my contacts with out resetting the phone to its original settings and losing all my apps?

thanks for your help,

I did this in the first months I had my phone...

Go into Gmail with your computer, and under the Contacts tab go ahead and Export Contacts. (I did "Everyone (All Contacts)" and "Google CSV format (for importing into a Google account)").

Once you do that, and the file is saved on your computer, delete all your contacts in Gmail. Now sync with the phone. That will (well, it did or me) erase all of your contacts on your phone.

Now, back on the computer, import your contacts back into Gmail. You will now have all of your contacts available, but none on your phone.

Once you have imported the contacts, you can sync with your phone and all will be right in the world. :D

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Go into Gmail with your computer, and under the Contacts tab go ahead and Export Contacts. (I did "Everyone (All Contacts)" and "Google CSV format (for importing into a Google account)").

Once you do that, and the file is saved on your computer, delete all your contacts in Gmail. Now sync with the phone. That will (well, it did or me) erase all of your contacts on your phone.

Now, back on the computer, import your contacts back into Gmail. You will now have all of your contacts available, but none on your phone.

Once you have imported the contacts, you can sync with your phone and all will be right in the world. :D

The above is the easiest way without a factory reset. I had to do the same when I first got my Droid.

[email protected]

Reaction score
dancedroid
hi,

thanks for your help,

thanks for the response, i did exactly as you wrote, you just made my life easier!!!