[HOW TO] Wi-Fi Tether on Droid 4

Rocky

Reaction score
Just as a note, I was able to Wifi-tether with the free Fox-Fi app before rooting my Droid IV. I wonder if this whole job is an unnecessary step to take...

imaskier

Reaction score
Foxfi

Foxfi wifi tether is where its at, make sure to change your ssid/ name of wifi hotspot. Have tried all tethering apps, root apps included. Foxfi's the right choice, besides you don't even need root! I recently upgraded to 4.0.4 latest version as of Aug 1st also rooted. Dhcp problems that were occurring disappeared :)

As always keep it open people :)

lak4

Reaction score
Thank you

I don't know how you figured that out but your directions were perfect. I root just so I can use this tether method because it is so stable. Thanks again.

kd5pdg

Reaction score
I believe that some of the wifi hotspot teather problems are hardware related.

Her is my observation: three DRIOD 4 all working fine (I rooted all and set up teather).

I hacked up my phone and replace it.

The new DROID 4 would not teather. It would connect and run a short bit and drop. I called support and complained about data service dropping. No questions I was sent a new refurbished phone (I originally bought a refurbished phone).

The new phone worked like a champ. Same configuration. Simply restored a backup.

Rooted with foxfi and wifi teather and a cold beer. ;-).

redneckben

Reaction score
Its seems to work more by chance, in my phones case foxfi and the WiFi app this thread wants you to download do not work for me, but now the stock mobile hotspot does weird right, in your case its worth a shot since it sounds like your having the same problems I was

93fuelslut

Reaction score
I only had that problem when I started using roms..if I go back to stock, it works like a girl on a street corner

93fuelslut

Reaction score
What, u never talked to one?...my step dad said If u go to a truck stop u can watch them go from one truck to another..

lak4

Reaction score
Works on Droid 4 as of 3 hours ago

Okay! I upgraded to the latest ICS on my Droid 4 courtesy of Verizon! Yay, finally got some ICS love. So first thing I do is re-root and then download wifi-tether and no joy! So I have been playing with it all weekend trying to get it to work. Finally tonight a new wifi-tether beta is was released and works with your instructions. Even though I can set the SSID and turn on encryption, my PC says it is not encrypted. At least I am up an running with some internet access again. Thanks for your work, I wouldn't have gotten anything working without your post! The version of Wifi-Tether I am using is wifi_tether_v3_2-beta1.apk. Happy tethering again!

Droid 4 - ICS 4.0.4