[HOW TO] Wi-Fi Tether on Droid 4

kenji91

Reaction score
If you do the entitlement check, just use the stock WiFi Hotspot app "Mobile Hotspot"

And Verizon will not know/charge if I use this occasionally? I don't want to trigger any flags for them.

dewhashish

Reaction score
so i set the entitlement check to 0, then did the settings in Wifi Tether to bionic and routing fix, but i get a startup error when i use it

i tested the stock mobile hotspot, but will verizon see if i am using it? i dont plan on using it heavily, i just dont want them to know that i use their stock app and charge me for a tethering plan.

what im asking is, does the entitlement check to 0 turn off the verizon seeing us use the stock app?

hurleygirlie05

Reaction score
Yay!!

Thank you so much! I actually didn't have to change the line to 0 from 1, to get it to work. I actually did at first and then I realized my backup assistant through VZW is not working so I went back and changed it back, rerooted, and my backup assistant and the app to access my VZW data still is not working. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Sp4rxx

Reaction score
Planet Earth, Northern Hemisphere, North America,
I apologize in advance for the hijack of the post, but I initially found this post through Google when I was having problems with my RAZR and wifi tethering after upgrading to the OTA of ICS. I want to say upfront that the original poster's instructions worked beautifully. I rooted my RAZR using the Batman Root utility 1.7 for RAZR by Matt and can't be happier.

My only question is - Does changing the 1 to a 0 ENSURE that VZW won't somehow discover this 'workaround' and start charging the extra $30/month? Or is that what the root access allows for, for SQLite to access that setting and make the 'call home' feature inaccessible to VZW? That charge is bogus IMHO just b/c I only use it for testing wifi connections and when my g/f (who has a 3G-only phone, Droid 3) needs the faster 4G connection every so often - I don't use the ability enough to justify spending the extra money to utilize it.

Granted, if any type of incremental updates to ICS come down the pike, that setting may be reset again; but initially with root this should not alert VZW, correct?

Rocky

Reaction score
Since it's so hard to find anything good for this really nice phone I thought the least I could do is Provide a guide on how to turn your Droid 4 into a Mobile Hot Spot with no monthly fee.

Step One: Root your D4 with http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip or wihich ever prgram works for you.

Step Two: Download SQLite Editor from the Market or where ever youcan get it at. Install it and open it. Wait for Databases to load. Navigate down to Settings Storage (the one with the hammer and wrench) and open it. Click Settings.db. Click Settings. Navigate to line #150 (Entitlement Check) and long press the box on the right with the number 1 in it. Click Edit Field and delete the number 1 and enter a zero. Click Save and exit, then reboot your D4.

Step Three: Download the latest Wi-Fi Tether app from here http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wifi_tether_v3_1-beta14.apk and install it. Open it and click menu button to get to the application Settings. Once in settings, click device profile and navigate to Droid Bionic and click it. Go back to settings and scroll down to Routing fix and check the box. Go back and you are ready to tether 4G LTE from your D4. You can optionally choose to enable a Wi-Fi Encryption by checking the box. You edit the SSID and your Pass phrase by selecting them, however they come standard as SSID: AndroidTether and Pass Phrase: abcdefghijklm.

Step Four: Happy Tethering:icon_ banana:

Awesome! Thanks a bunch! :happy3:

pgdrives

Reaction score
I am upgrading from a Droid 3 to a Droid 4 (Thanks, Verizon, for this free upgrade!), and on my Droid 3 I used a method to change the radio channels or something in the phone itself, so that the mobile hotspot would use the same connection as it would if I were using my phone normally. The entitlement change never worked on my Droid 3, and I'm curious if it will actually work on the Droid 4. My phone will be here today sometime, so I will be glad to break it in, root it, and see if I can get wifi tethering. Will update with progress!

Last edited:

pgdrives

Reaction score
The entitlement check if for 4G phones only. The radiocomm hack works for 3G phones only.

Thanks! Loving the phone, didn't have to do the entitlement check though. Rooted, latest version of wifi app, and up and running in under three minutes!

bkesm605

Reaction score
Thank you so much this worked like a charm and both WiFi Tether and the built in mobile hotspot works!
:icon_ lala:

WawaRulez

Reaction score
Update: You need SQLite Editor 1.5, found in the market. 1.4.1 doesn't work on the ics leak.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Dude, you are my HERO!!!!! I searched high and low to find out why SQlite editor was fc'ing after the OTA ICS update on my rooted Razr Maxx to find out nothing. Some peoples worked, others didn't, etc. I had V1.3 running from my rooted Samsung Facinate and it worked on the Maxx until the update. I saved the root, everything went like clockwork, but had an issue with TB and wireless tether (both). I resolved TB but the wireless tether was burning my @ss (especially since I'm grandfathered in on data plan). Your little bit of info just made my day. I rarely if ever use wireless tether, but to be ripped off by Big Red and told "NO data unless you pay" just rubs me the wrong way. I'm on it now!!!!

Thank you so much!!! :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

ps. I screwed them out of a GalaxyIII as well (still new in box) lol