[HOW TO] Wi-Fi Tether on Droid 4

addictedhacks

Reaction score
Since it's so hard to find anything good for this really nice phone I thought the least I could do is Provide a guide on how to turn your Droid 4 into a Mobile Hot Spot with no monthly fee.

Step One: Root your D4 with http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip or wihich ever prgram works for you.

Step Two: Download SQLite Editor from the Market or where ever youcan get it at. Install it and open it. Wait for Databases to load. Navigate down to Settings Storage (the one with the hammer and wrench) and open it. Click Settings.db. Click Settings. Navigate to line #150 (Entitlement Check) and long press the box on the right with the number 1 in it. Click Edit Field and delete the number 1 and enter a zero. Click Save and exit, then reboot your D4.

Step Three: Download the latest Wi-Fi Tether app from here http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wifi_tether_v3_1-beta14.apk and install it. Open it and click menu button to get to the application Settings. Once in settings, click device profile and navigate to Droid Bionic and click it. Go back to settings and scroll down to Routing fix and check the box. Go back and you are ready to tether 4G LTE from your D4. You can optionally choose to enable a Wi-Fi Encryption by checking the box. You edit the SSID and your Pass phrase by selecting them, however they come standard as SSID: AndroidTether and Pass Phrase: abcdefghijklm.

Step Four: Happy Tethering:icon_ banana:

cbalde04

Reaction score
I was not able to edit the number value for entitlement check. when I change it to "0", it says it can write it. Im using SQLite Editor 1.4.1. Any suggestions?

Germanguy

Reaction score
Since it's so hard to find anything good for this really nice phone I thought the least I could do is Provide a guide on how to turn your Droid 4 into a Mobile Hot Spot with no monthly fee.

Step One: Root your D4 with http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail_windows.zip or wihich ever prgram works for you.

Step Two: Download SQLite Editor from the Market or where ever youcan get it at. Install it and open it. Wait for Databases to load. Navigate down to Settings Storage (the one with the hammer and wrench) and open it. Click Settings.db. Click Settings. Navigate to line #150 (Entitlement Check) and long press the box on the right with the number 1 in it. Click Edit Field and delete the number 1 and enter a zero. Click Save and exit, then reboot your D4.

Step Three: Download the latest Wi-Fi Tether app from here http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wifi_tether_v3_1-beta14.apk and install it. Open it and click menu button to get to the application Settings. Once in settings, click device profile and navigate to Droid Bionic and click it. Go back to settings and scroll down to Routing fix and check the box. Go back and you are ready to tether 4G LTE from your D4. You can optionally choose to enable a Wi-Fi Encryption by checking the box. You edit the SSID and your Pass phrase by selecting them, however they come standard as SSID: AndroidTether and Pass Phrase: abcdefghijklm.

Step Four: Happy Tethering:icon_ banana:

Why not just skip step 3 and just use the built-in hotspot after changing entitlement check?

cbalde04

Reaction score
Why not just skip step 3 and just use the built-in hotspot after changing entitlement check?

Has that been confirmed to work? I can't get the WifiTether for Root Users to work even after completing the steps. It just wont finish connecting. I always find this stuff out at work and can never test it right away.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Has that been confirmed to work? I can't get the WifiTether for Root Users to work even after completing the steps. It just wont finish connecting. I always find this stuff out at work and can never test it right away.

Yes, I did last night. Tethered with no issues my Xoom to my Droid 4 with the stock Mobile Hotspot app.

I followed similar directions though the ones I used said to change the default dhcp settings of the hotspot app to 192.168.99.2 (the default is 192.168.42.2). Since you are setting your own SSID and passphrase in this same area "Configure Mobile Hotspot" you may as well edit the dhcp range as well.

Germanguy

Reaction score
Yes, I did last night. Tethered with no issues my Xoom to my Droid 4 with the stock Mobile Hotspot app.

I followed similar directions though the ones I used said to change the default dhcp settings of the hotspot app to 192.168.99.2 (the default is 192.168.42.2). Since you are setting your own SSID and passphrase in this same area "Configure Mobile Hotspot" you may as well edit the dhcp range as well.

What is the purpose of changing the dhcp settings if I may ask?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
No clue...I had found those instructions earlier so that's what I did. Didn't try not changing them.......so it may not serve any purpose.

The instructions I had found said it would not work if you didn't.....so I changed them and it worked....so didn't worry about it.

crzayalex

Reaction score
I followed the guide to step 2, and after rebooting the phone I tried using the default hotspot app and it would just get stuck on starting mobile hotspot. Then I reboot my phone again and tried the wifi tether from step 3, it keeps on saying that it started with error. I am currently on the .206 leak. Before upgrading to .206 foxfi and the other methods both worked perfectly. Anything I can do to make one of the methods work?

kenji91

Reaction score
I was not able to edit the number value for entitlement check. when I change it to "0", it says it can write it. Im using SQLite Editor 1.4.1. Any suggestions?

I ran into the same problem.

FYI, I'm on .206.

bgarlock

Reaction score
The entitlement_check field is on line 79 if you are running the .206 ICS leak. For the people with not being able to save, my guess is that you are not rooted. This worked fine for me after allowing 'su' access to SQLite Editor.

kenji91

Reaction score
I'm on the ICS leak and set everything up per these directions. WiFi Tether starts, but it gives me an error:

Setting ad-hoc mode... failed.

Ideas?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Wifi tether doesn't work on ICS...yet, foxfi does or the entitlement hack from what I have read.

crzayalex

Reaction score
If you do the entitlement check, just use the stock WiFi Hotspot app "Mobile Hotspot"
I tried that, but when I start the stock mobile hotspot, it just get stuck at starting. The option to click on it turns grey and it just stays grey unless I reboot the phone