How to wake up the droid when it's been off for a while?

andjarnic

Reaction score
Hey all,

I hope this isn't a bug or that I have a bad phone. I can't find anything on google, nor in the manual about this. This is now the 2nd time I've had this happen. I don't use the phone for a while.. and when I go to use it, nothing seems to turn it on. There is a green flashing LED in the upper right corner on the front panel. Holding the power button, sliding it open, taping anywhere, pressing any other buttons, etc.. nothing.. it wont come back on. Only way I got it to work yesterday was to remove the battery. I sure hope this is meant to do this and I am missing something. Hoping one of you guys/gals has had this happen and knows how to get out of it.

Thanks.

OP
A

andjarnic

Reaction score
Ok.. tried a few more things. I put it in the doc, tried plugging in the USB charger incase it went dead... can't imagine that it did tho, had a full charge when I went to bed and didn't use it... unless there was some background task running that I was not aware of.. if that is the case tho I'd guess others would see this issue. Tried holding down button for 15 seconds, other buttons for 15 seconds, combo of buttons for 15 seconds.. nothing at all.

ImmaMechE

Reaction score
Only two things will wake mine up when it's sleeping - sliding it open, and tapping the power/lock button once. But it will wake up when one of those two things is done. Sounds like you may have some problems. =( Hopefully addressable though - can anyone else help out?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That is beyond me. The answer above is the same I would give you. I would just return it. First check your running applications and see if there is something fishy... If not, take it back.

OP
A

andjarnic

Reaction score
Found a similar issue on many G1s... the most common culprit seems to be the 3G tower it is near... many people seem to have to remove the battery on their G1s to get it to come back to life. Well this really sucks.

Anyone know what the flashing green LED is? I don't see anything about it in the manual. Upper right corner, right near the power button on the front of the face.

OP
A

andjarnic

Reaction score
So I went to verizon store, tech did as much as I expected about this.. "Uh..it's too new to know what could be wrong.." so I asked "Since other people have also gone into sleep mode but their phones wake up.. can I just replace this with another one so I don't have to deal with it".. his reply "No sorry.. they are very strict about that. You have to bring it in to us when it's in this sleep mode and you can't get out of it.". Wow.. really? You mean they can't simply make me a happy customer, switch my phone with one that probably works, and debug that **** themselves? So now I am a QA engineer for Verizon.. unpaid of course.

djstar2k2

Reaction score
wow thats some shhh. if its not waking up then there has to be a hard where issue. they should replace on the spot. the flashin green light means you have a notification ex. text or missed call. and i hate they put that button right there i hit the rocker keys everytime

OP
A

andjarnic

Reaction score
That is what I am thinking. The other guy was like "Oh it's probably some setting or something.." and I explained I am a techie, android developer, and then some.. I certainly could figure it out if it was something even remotely obvious. This is just plain nothing works. Docking it, undocking it, every button, tap, hold, multiple button holds, open/close slider, press every key on slider, etc. Nothing works. It stays off with that little green led flashing. Sounds like either a hardware issue that very few phones are going to end up with.. or an android issue..but if it was android I'd expect to see a lot more reports by now. Wonder if it's the flash card... maybe the flash card I got is bad and causing some issues when it's put into sleep mode. I may try replacing that soon. I am still a bit pissed that they couldn't just replace it..its only 1 day old and you'd think they would be all over they customer support thing. I wont give anyone a bad rap yet tho.. it is indeed too new. But I would like to find more people that have this issue.. I can't be the only droid phone out there with this issue. Wonder if there is a moto bug forum or something.

xjman349

Reaction score
Hey man, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with device. Next time you cant get it to boot take it in. If they cant get it to work and its an issue you are experiencing on a usual basis they will take care of you. Also I would call customer service and see if its a known issue.

NvrEnough

Reaction score
Im running into to the same issue. happened twice to me today. Pulled the battery both times. The screen just stays black but the green light is on. No matter what button I hit I cannot get it to wake up.

I got mine at walmart and was thinking about retruning but im not sure if its a simple fix or something im doing wrong. Sucks having to pull the battery with the body glove case.

OP
A

andjarnic

Reaction score
Not that I am happy you are having the issue..but I am glad it's not just me. That most likely means many others out there are having it too. So far I have not had it happen, but I've been using it on and off today. I will see if tomorrow morning when I wake up if it is like this..and if so bring it in and demand a replacement. Sux..cause just put a ton of apps on there.