How to turn off cellular data but leave on phone?

Sal

Reaction score
I looked elsewhere and saw threads about switching between 3g/4G or turning off cellular data via Smart Actions due to some trigger.

I'd like to just be able to toggle off mobile data and still get calls/texts whenever I want to, as I could with a widget on my Thunderbolt. Ideas?

Reaction score
I looked elsewhere and saw threads about switching between 3g/4G or turning off cellular data via Smart Actions due to some trigger.

I'd like to just be able to toggle off mobile data and still get calls/texts whenever I want to, as I could with a widget on my Thunderbolt. Ideas?

Data switch..its in the android market..download app and set up widget to home screen for easy access..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

DocsDad

Reaction score
You can just just toggle the cellular data on/off in the smart actions as well. You will still get calls and texts.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
Data switch..its in the android market..download app and set up widget to home screen for easy access..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Anyone try Data Switch on a Razr or Razr Maxx?

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
You can just just toggle the cellular data on/off in the smart actions as well. You will still get calls and texts.

How do you use Smart Actions to toggle? What kind of action could you set up to toggle at will, rather than on a specific trigger? I haven't really used that app yet other than a quick peek --- just got the phone Tuesday.

DocsDad

Reaction score
I just set up a smart action and Named it "Data". I did not set a trigger. I chose the action as cellular data disable. So, to toggle at will or manually... I pull down the notification bar or click Smart Actions. Click the "Data" that I just created and it becomes active or inactive. Also, I think you can just leave it active and then move the "Cellular Data" slide to the right so it turns on data again. Seems easier to just click "Data" to activate though.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
I just set up a smart action and Named it "Data". I did not set a trigger. I chose the action as cellular data disable. So, to toggle at will or manually... I pull down the notification bar or click Smart Actions. Click the "Data" that I just created and it becomes active or inactive. Also, I think you can just leave it active and then move the "Cellular Data" slide to the right so it turns on data again. Seems easier to just click "Data" to activate though.

Cool! Thanks!

DocsDad

Reaction score
I also set a manual Smart Action to turn sound off and vibrate. I leave my screen unlocked 99% of the time and got tired of locking it and backing out to turn sound off. Now, I click smart action and activate Vibrate Only Rule.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is airplane mode not there or does it turn everything off?

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
I also set a manual Smart Action to turn sound off and vibrate. I leave my screen unlocked 99% of the time and got tired of locking it and backing out to turn sound off. Now, I click smart action and activate Vibrate Only Rule.

Yeah. I just implemented your suggestion, now realizing that you don't need a trigger. The possibilities are endless I'm realizing. Thanks for helping me out. Now, if I could only get the kind battery life others are getting on their Maxxs without Smart Actions.

Mine doesn't seem to be nearly as long-lasting as others here are reporting. I'm hoping it will resolve in a couple of days of natural use -- as others say -- because now I'm wondering if I just got one with a bad battery. My display is just eating up the juice, no matter how I set brightness, etc.

OP
Sal

Sal

Reaction score
Is airplane mode not there or does it turn everything off?

Airplane mode turns off all radios, including phone/texting, which I like to always keep on for receiving calls.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Airplane mode turns off all radios, including phone/texting, which I like to always keep on for receiving calls.

Gotcha...