How do I turn on GPS?

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I'm new to the Smart actions thing and would like to know how to turn on/off the GPS. Isn't there a toggle for this?
I want to set a rule that knows when I'm at work or at home or in the car. At work, I simply want to turn off the ringer and wifi. In the car turn on Bluetooth and the ringer and turn off Wifi. And, once I'm at home, turn on Wifi for use on my home network. I just can't get anything to work because I don't think smart actions knows where where I am.
I'm also using Beautiful Widgets.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
There's a toggle on the Power Control Widget for GPS. There are many other widgets in the Play store for it if the included one isn't to your liking. You can also turn GPS (and other location-based services) on/off here: Settings -> Location services.

To add location as a trigger in Smart Actions, just tap the + beside triggers, selection location, tap the + sign at the top right, and then choose how you want to add the location. After you've added locations, you'll be able to choose them as a trigger for the different things you want to do.

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Thanks for the reply but where do I find the built in widget for God?

CtrlZ

Reaction score
Just go to system settings, location services and select your GPS there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CtrlZ

Reaction score
....and turn your wifi on for better accuracy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I have everything checked in location services but still I have no icon indicating GPS is on and no smart actions are active. Why isn't there a built in way to turn on/off the GPS and 4g like wifi and Bluetooth? Perhaps I'm missing something. I just want smart actions to work. It won't unless it knows where I am at.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have everything checked in location services but still I have no icon indicating GPS is on and no smart actions are active. Why isn't there a built in way to turn on/off the GPS and 4g like wifi and Bluetooth? Perhaps I'm missing something. I just want smart actions to work. It won't unless it knows where I am at.

If you selected everything under location settings, then GPS is on. That is the built-in way to turn it off and on (specifically Standalone GPS). You can also, as I already mentioned, use the Power Control Widget to toggle it. If the toggle switch is lit up, then it's on, just like if you have it checked under location settings, it's on. There isn't a constant icon in the notification bar for GPS like there is for Bluetooth or WiFi. An icon only appears in the notification bar for GPS when an app is actively using it. When the GPS is turned on, it's not always being used (that would drain your battery in no time). It's on stand by until something wants to use it. If your smart actions are set up properly, it will use it when it needs to, and it work just fine.

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
It doesn't work. Smart actions is not active and I'm at home, no wifi or Bluetooth is running as I have set up. The phone does not know where I'm at. The GPS has to be on and it is not. There is no icon. Smart actions is a fail.

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
With GB I could turn GPS on and off easily.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It doesn't work. Smart actions is not active and I'm at home, no wifi or Bluetooth is running as I have set up. The phone does not know where I'm at. The GPS has to be on and it is not. There is no icon. Smart actions is a fail.

With GB I could turn GPS on and off easily.

Ok, you don't seem to be understanding what I'm saying. There is not a constant GPS icon in the notification bar. There was not a constant GPS icon in the notification bar with Gingerbread either. You can turn GPS on and off just as easily in ICS as you could in Gingerbread, and I've told you exactly how to do it twice. If you've checked all of the boxes under location services in the settings, your GPS is on. Double check that with the Power Control Widget. If the GPS icon in the middle is lit up, GPS is on. There won't be a constant icon in the notification bar. There has never been a constant icon in the notification bar for GPS on the RAZR/MAXX. Even though you don't see a constant icon, that doesn't mean it's not on and available for use.

To me, it sounds like you don't have your smart actions set up properly.

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
What is this power control widget you keep referring to? Why is this so difficult? I don't think what I'm trying to do should be so difficult to do. I've programed touch screen remotes for clients with no issues including graphics. What gives? When I set it for my current location, gives me a location that is hundreds of miles away. Like I said, the phone has to know where I am for smart actions to work.

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I've put my current address in Raleigh NC the phone has my current location as Greenville SC. Like I said, the phone has to know my current true location for smart actions to work and for that to happen the phone has to know where I am.

Trash Can

Reaction score
What is this power control widget you keep referring to?

Open your apps tray. Towards the center upper right of the screen, you should see 'widgets'. Select that, then scroll through until you see 'power control'. Put it where you want.

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
Thanks, it's on how do I get it to correct for my actual location so smart actions will work?

niteperson

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Smart Actions uses wifi, not GPS, to determine your location, so you can't use the Location trigger to turn wifi on and off. I thought I read somewhere that a future iteration of Smart Actions will give the option of using GPS to determine location.