How To Switch Between 3G And 4G On HTC Thunderbolt

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
How To Switch Between 3G And 4G On HTC Thunderbolt

ThunderboltTestMenu.jpg

If you already have a Verizon HTC Thunderbolt you will most probably notice that there isn't an easy, user-friendly way of switching 4G off or flipping a switch to 3G.

If you're an advanced user who's not afraid to enter test menus and tweak setting you will be able to expose a 3G/4G option which will allow you to choose between the two standards. You have to go into the Dialer and call *#*#4636#*#* which will take you to the Thunderbolt's Test Menu. Head over to Phone Information and Set Preferred Network Type according to your liking: available options are LTE and EV-DO, EV-DO only, and LTE only. To switch back, follow the same steps, only this time choose LTE Mode and select CDMA + LTE / EvDo auto.

Note: Playing with Advanced Setting and Test Menus is dangerous and you are doing it at your own risk!

Source: AndroidCentral Forums
Via: Engadget

DJStormX

Reaction score
I was told for 3G to use CDMA auto (PRL). Whats the difference between that and EvDo only?

Snow02

Reaction score
EVDO only will turn off the cdma radio as well. Since the tb can do voice over 3G, this would probably still let you make phonecalls, but would prevent sending/receiving texts, since they're sent over the 1x cdma network.

However, if you use google voice for all texts, you could see a substantial increase in battery life using evdo only (since gv texts over data). The downside is 3G reception is not as ubiquitous as cdma, and unless you're smothered in 3G coverage, you could lose signal in certain spots, particularly indoors.

Last edited:

JRunner01

Reaction score
So this requires you to go into the phones service menu to turn on and off 4G, unlike the EVO from ATT that allows you to do it via the user settings, correct?

I thought this was leading to it will enable the user setting to then turn on and off 4G, not that you can only do this from the service menu itself.

gvanmeter

Reaction score
The easier way to do it is download the "phone info" app from the market...works great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

NickWBurns

Reaction score
For the "phone info" app, what should I be setting it to if I don't want to use 4g? Whenever Im around WiFi I use that and have no battery problems but when I'm between 4g and 3g it gets drained. So whats the best option I should set it to?

Sent through a bolt of lightning

gvanmeter

Reaction score
CDMA auto (PRL) is what you want.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

thesandman51

Reaction score
I'm having a bit if a problem. I'm able to disable the 4g by switching to cdma auto, but the 3g doesn't work...I get no internet access when I switch to that.

pcm2a

Reaction score
Same for me. I don't see a 3g or anything beside my signal bar with the CDMA auto.

thesandman51

Reaction score
Also not getting any 3g when the 4g loses it's signal, so I think I need to get it switched out.