[How to] Super Easy "Clean" Install

mcp770

Reaction score
This is the method I used to get a prefect glitch free install of liberty. There are other ways like simple data/cache wipe then install but I can say doing this process has left me a fast and issue free install of liberty.

1. Download Maderstcok340.zip and place on sd card wherever you keep downloads. Place the .apk's for z4root and bootstrap recovery on sd card, handy forever trust me. For those that don't know this zip file combines all the tbh patches and successfully installs the 340 ota and you will be un rooted thus z4 and bootstrap.

2. Reboot into recovery and select zip from sd. Navigate to your maderstcok340.zip and install. It takes a few minutes as it replaces everything bootloader, kernel and all....so wait then reboot.

3. You are now on clean .340. Activate your phone but skip all other setup prompts. (not needed yet and saves time). Install z4root and let it reboot.

4. After rooting skip everything again and install the bootstrap apk, boot into recovery.

5. In recovery just to be anal I cleared data/caches again. Now install Liberty 1.0 from sd as usual.

6. Done! Reboot and now sign in and restore stuff however you do it and enjoy trouble free Liberty!

OP
mcp770

mcp770

Reaction score
Google the file name. There are a few mirrors out there and even an update.zip version.

2dulu2u

Reaction score
Simple, easy, and brilliant. This is why I love this forum and this phone. My humble thanks....

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Is anyone aware of an stock.zip similar to this one for the Droid 2?

B-RAN

Reaction score
FYI... I did this and went through everything smoothly. When my X rebooted it went in a bootloop with the Liberty bootanimation. After a few battery pulls it was still doing the same thing. If this happens to you dont panic, boot into stock recovery, wipe data/factory reset and you should be good after that. Guess there were bits of Liberty still there and the reset got me back to stock. Just wanted to throw this up here in case it happens to someone else. There is no need to panic!

Droid74

Reaction score
This method is fine to do but is unnecessary to get a clean install. Just wiping the phone data/factory reset from clockwork is enough (I do it mulitple times myself). Back when we had a full SBF I would do that if I had been switching ROMs ALOT...but was really unnecessary as well. I would follow the OP of Liberty and then if you have issues follow the advice here.

MrKleen

Reaction score
This method is fine to do but is unnecessary to get a clean install. Just wiping the phone data/factory reset from clockwork is enough (I do it mulitple times myself). Back when we had a full SBF I would do that if I had been switching ROMs ALOT...but was really unnecessary as well. I would follow the OP of Liberty and then if you have issues follow the advice here.

You are aware that when you do a factory reset all you do is install a clean version of whatever rom you are on at the moment. A factory reset does not take take you back to stock nor anything that this zip file does.

Even if you do a factory reset in the settings section of your phone all it does is flash a clean version of whatever rom you are running.... absolutely nothing to do with stock in any way.

The only reason I am mentioning this is that there are many out there that think "factory reset" means resetting your phone back to stock and it's not.

However I agree that this is overkill for a clean install of a rom. This zip file does serve a wonderful purpose but it's a bit much for just loading a new rom.

Droid74

Reaction score
The important part is the wipe data/cache part of it...u could just as easily go into mounts and storage and wipe data and wipe cache, but the wipe data/factory reset option does both of those for you.